Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche in turmoil

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take heart. It was the independent Porsche that decided to make an SUV. And it was the mothership VW that (very recently) made it clear that if Porsche sells SUVs, they're going to be made by Audi. VW has a better idea of Porsche's heritage than Porsche does!

Query whether that same logic will lead VW to tell Audi that if anyone's going to make a mid-engined supercar, it's going to be Porsche.

As to big time racing, Audi's only factory programs are DTM and (A)LMS. It can't be that difficult to put together a basic engine program for Daytona Prototypes. And an S5 shell with Audi V8 would be a nice fit in the Grand Am GT class (a la the ancient BMW 6 series).
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
sig_a
Pro

Next up - 998/911 with 8 cylinders.

VW will not likely kill off the longest lived, most popular sportscar ever produced. But one never knows.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kill the Cayenne, Panamera and Boxster/Cayman....those can be covered by Audi models (as an aside, the Boxster/Cayman is already on its way towards that end, as soon as the VAG board decides on the future of the 2 door mid engine platform....long story)

Keep Porsche producing just the 911 (and its variants), nothing else.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Management shuffles like these after a merger don't bother me. I think it is all much to do about nothing. This article is all conjecture.

Piech has wanted to run Porsche pretty much from birth, but the family decided long ago that no family member should run it so Piech went to VW and built an empire. Then when the time was right he took control of Porsche with his relatives' blessing. This was a brilliant and patient move.

Piech is not going to let Porsche or more specifically the 911 lineage go down the tubes. He loves Porsche. He has wanted control of it his entire life.

I think Porsche will become the marque brand of the VW group and the that elevation will start with the release of the 918 and 998 next year.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Kill the Cayenne, Panamera and Boxster/Cayman....those can be covered by Audi models (as an aside, the Boxster/Cayman is already on its way towards that end, as soon as the VAG board decides on the future of the 2 door mid engine platform....long story)

Keep Porsche producing just the 911 (and its variants), nothing else.
Exactly. Although Porsche should also have dibs on smaller, less exotic sports cars (a la 914). An Elise/Exige competitor should be a Porsche, not a VW or Audi.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

NatGeo just had a show on how they make Audi R8's- pretty kewl. Maybe they can share with Porsche a few things. Alu space frame for one.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't need to focus on only the 911, but they should tighten it back to sports cars only.

No one can deny they have built an amazing mid-engine platform. VW needs to let Porsche run with the new mid-engine setup and maybe grab it for a limited production Audi model and make some money off the tech R&D. They have demonstrated that they are simply unwilling to build the BlueSport as a VW, so at least get the **** in line and let Porsche move on.

Problem is VW was going upmarket into the space occupied by Audi. Then they wanted to be sporty, which infringes on Porsche territory. Yet here in the States we don't get the Scirocco because the Golf GTI/R32 is their 'performance' platform and they don't want to cannibalize sales. That is a bad plan in a big market. The Golf is not a sports car, its a somewhat kinda sporty econobox. Sorry, but as the owner of a Golf and a Boxster, they are not in the same league. And VW is not viewed as upmarket in the USA, as the Phaeton taught us.

VW plainly doesn't know what to do with all the badges they have now. I think they have a chance to keep the purity of Porsche intact. But they have a good chance of blowing it too if they try to make them a full line maker too. Too much going on with no high level plan it seems. Maybe these moves are an effort but the exec shell game probably won't do it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 PM
sig_a
Pro

"Yet here in the States we don't get the Scirocco because the Golf GTI/R32 is their 'performance' platform and they don't want to cannibalize sales. That is a bad plan in a big market."

Yes but......export powerhouse Germany/VW's future is to the east. 80 million exporting goods to 3 billion. USA is growing old and less important.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree totally with their emerging markets. I was referring to the protection of their 'performance' image... which is the GTI/R32 only in the USA. That fits into the bigger picture.

Certainly will be interesting to see how all of the current industry turmoil will pan out. Some cards have been played but...
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a

VW will not likely kill off the longest lived, most popular sportscar ever produced. But one never knows.
Even then, they've been beaten to the punch.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...rsche_911.html
Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm not a fan of mergers at all. They always give me cause for concern, particularly when it involves a small, unique, and innovative company like Porsche.

However... if you look at the stable that VW controls, not only is the list pretty damn impressive, but so is what those manufacturers have produced. Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley... I'd argue that each of these makes are at the top of their game right now. In spite of sharing of parts and power plants in some cases, each has a unique, and impressive product. So... I remain optimistic... for now.
+1
Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a

Apparently the max capacity for the flat-six is 4.0, we currently at 3.8, I think a naturally aspirated 8 will eventually have to happen.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by agdamis
Apparently the max capacity for the flat-six is 4.0, we currently at 3.8, I think a naturally aspirated 8 will eventually have to happen.
With the 911s drivetrain architecture, there's no limit to how long the engine can be! Why not skip right to a V12? Put some ballast up front. Try THAT in your mid-engined car.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Take heart. It was the independent Porsche that decided to make an SUV. And it was the mothership VW that (very recently) made it clear that if Porsche sells SUVs, they're going to be made by Audi. VW has a better idea of Porsche's heritage than Porsche does!

Query whether that same logic will lead VW to tell Audi that if anyone's going to make a mid-engined supercar, it's going to be Porsche.

As to big time racing, Audi's only factory programs are DTM and (A)LMS. It can't be that difficult to put together a basic engine program for Daytona Prototypes. And an S5 shell with Audi V8 would be a nice fit in the Grand Am GT class (a la the ancient BMW 6 series).
I hear you except that the rumor is that when the Touareg rolled into the Porsche engineering headquarters, they all gathered around it, burst out laughing and proceeded to dismantle it. Not really sure we want to go backwards now. It also scares me that Lambo interiors are made from A6 and A8 parts bin left overs. With all due respect to Audi owners I will NEVER buy a Porsche that has VW/Audi interiors parts in it.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
With the 911s drivetrain architecture, there's no limit to how long the engine can be! Why not skip right to a V12? Put some ballast up front. Try THAT in your mid-engined car.
never thought of that. sounds cool!

Quick Reply: Porsche in turmoil