944 Cup@ Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Why only 944's.?
What about us guys running with no water and the motor in the back?
I've always wished they'd hold a Rennsport Reunion at IMS.Even mentioned this to the Redmans years ago,but didn't get a tingle.Oh well.
Tom B.
Because Dave Derecola is the best series promoter in club racing!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Why only 944's.?
What about us guys running with no water and the motor in the back?

Tom B.
There may be other series under consideration, no idea which or if they would include Porsches with engines in the rear. Don' think a NASA series would be one of them. The 944 Cup has been fortunate to have a good working relationship with World Challenge and SCCA Pro Racing which has afforded the series the opportunity to race with them at VIR for our Nationals this September at VIR, and possibly at Indy and Baltimore next year.

As I understand for Indy, it's about a 50/50 shot to pull this off at the moment. All the parties involved are for the idea, Indy Cars (IRL), IMS and WC. Much to be sorted out in terms of scheduling, contracts and of course money. But I have put our hat in the ring, so if it happens, the 944 Cup will be there based on the overwhelmingly positive response we are getting from 944 drivers.

All factors considered, really wont know til late Fall.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Baltimore would be great! Lets' break the ice with them in very positive fashion with an eye towards even better things down the road.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
There may be other series under consideration, no idea which or if they would include Porsches with engines in the rear. Don' think a NASA series would be one of them. The 944 Cup has been fortunate to have a good working relationship with World Challenge and SCCA Pro Racing which has afforded the series the opportunity to race with them at VIR for our Nationals this September at VIR, and possibly at Indy and Baltimore next year.

As I understand for Indy, it's about a 50/50 shot to pull this off at the moment. All the parties involved are for the idea, Indy Cars (IRL), IMS and WC. Much to be sorted out in terms of scheduling, contracts and of course money. But I have put our hat in the ring, so if it happens, the 944 Cup will be there based on the overwhelmingly positive response we are getting from 944 drivers.

All factors considered, really wont know til late Fall.
Who really owns the decision if this is a go/no-go? I ask because I live in Indy and have personal relationships with a number of senior people in the Speedway/IRL organizations - I'd be glad to help if I can.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick
Who really owns the decision if this is a go/no-go? I ask because I live in Indy and have personal relationships with a number of senior people in the Speedway/IRL organizations - I'd be glad to help if I can.

Cheers,

Rick
Thanks for the offer Rick. I am not involved in the negotiations Speedway/IRL, so dont have any contact info with those organizations. My connections are with SCCAPro/WC. But if you would like to email me your contact info, I can pass along the offer to my WC connections.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Any update on this possible event?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Any update on this possible event?
I am told the chances for an event are no better then 50/50 at this pt. Should an event occur and Cup would be fortunate enough to be included, it would be just for the Cup class, as we are discontinuing the Super Cup class beginning in 2011.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:46 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, now that 944SuperCup is no longer part of 944Cup, this whole idea is moot for many of us.
See here:

http://forum.44cup.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=498
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in.

c.

Quick Reply: 944 Cup@ Indianapolis Motor Speedway