Sponsored by:

Anyone from MA using a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I don't mean to take this Off Topic or open the floodgates of hell to another tow vehicle thread, but the Excursion tows better than the Cayenne.

I just like torque and wheelbase .... and 15W-40
Niiiiiiiiice.
What are your thoughts on diesel vs gas? What about PDK and ceramics? If I get a PCCB equipped Cayenne, do I need a trailer brake controller?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Niiiiiiiiice.
What are your thoughts on diesel vs gas? What about PDK and ceramics? If I get a PCCB equipped Cayenne, do I need a trailer brake controller?
Please give me a moment to slip into my head and neck restraint before I answer your questions ...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts
Default No drama if conservative.

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
Although you mentioned above, you didn't say how it was to tow your 911 with just surge brakes... uneventful? scary? etc...
Well with the U-haul (2100 lb trailer and surge brakes) it was fine, but I was also easy on the go pedal, kept my distance, anticipated stops, and keep my eyes up (like we are taught at DEs :-) ). I am able to cruise at up to 65 without wiggle even in modest cross winds or semi passes.

But you can feel the push when you have to brake quick (quicker) before surge kicks in. Electric brake vs surge brake in my un-expert opinion is like helmet on the track, almost never "needed", but when it is, it pays for itself 100 times over. Not an option on U-Haul, but if buying a trailer, I'd go for it and the minor extra hassle of installation (and any extra expense). If I could get a good deal on a trailer with surge brakes, I'd buy it and then consider the upgrade post purchase. But I'd say I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy or as my spouse has been known to say, "he's an engineer". And I have been accused of over thinking things

With 4.6 motor, getting up to speed on most "fly-over-land" on ramps is not an issue and it hauls steady at 2500 to 3000 RPM on freeway flat / < 6% grade. 14 MPG mainly freeway. Just got back from Nelson Ledges, some steep grades around the track, still pulled fine on short steep runs, multiple downshifts and 3K to 4K RPM for short stints. I went into manual mode to hold the lower gear in the automatic for those short (and few) climbs.

Also saw this Prodigy unit for sale (no affiliation). If the correct model, that is cheap money to throw at added safety IMHO.

Quick Reply: Anyone from MA using a trailer?