Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to Brumos?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010 | 02:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

racing is really about money and who can build right to the envelope of the ever changing rules.
Old 06-20-2010 | 03:10 PM
USCCayman
Intermediate

I appreciate all the very helpful responses. While I have been a Porsche fan for a long time, and have owned four ('59 356 Convertable D, '69 912, '80 911SC, and currently in a 2006 CS), I have always been a spectator when it comes to racing and therefore don't have much of an insider's perspective. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010 | 03:17 PM
USCCayman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mooty
racing is really about money and who can build right to the envelope of the ever changing rules.
Makes sense. If anyone knows about pushing the envelope, it is Porsche IMHO.
Old 06-20-2010 | 03:41 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by cgomez
He is referring to GT Rolex were all cars except the Porsches are Tubes.

In GS Continental is all real cars like the Mustangs you are referring too.

I think TRG (Kevin B.) got the changes he was bargaining for (3.8 engine, etc.) and the car is very competitive. Lap times are there and it won the 2 races it entered.
Sorry, and thanks for the clarification. I've lost track of it as it has moved around over the past several years. I know that Ford was running some new Boss 302R's there, as well, so I assumed it was all the same class.
Old 06-20-2010 | 04:37 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Grand Am will do anything in their power to prevent another Porsche 917/962 type era from ever occuring. They are all about anything but Porsche.
Old 06-20-2010 | 04:38 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

In Grand Am GT class, there are really two subclasses; level I and II. Level I, which includes RX-8, BMW, Camaro (last years Pontiac GXP), are all tube frame. Level II, which includes the 911 and the Corvette are all production based. I think there is only one 911 left in the series in GT-Level II and that's the Magnus one which got pushed into the wall at mid Ohio.

It is a shame that there is somehow enough money distributed to participants that various big names are still racing in Grand AM and unfortunately, the number of participants have increased. So, if you want to road race at a relatively low budget in which you have the chance to make $500K+ profit, Grand AM offers the formula, you just have to fit into their formula.

It used to be that advanced club racers could race in Grand Am and could cover 40-50% of their costs through earning of races if you were in the top 20-18, but now that became impossible with increased interest from larger budget parties. It used to be the next step to club racing and it was fun IMHO.
Old 06-20-2010 | 05:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
Grand Am does not like Porsche. Period. They allow tube framed cars to run against them in GT and they handicap the heck out of any Porsche DP that manages to actually be competitive. Porsche should refuse to race or supply cars to the series. Kinda like TRG had to do in order to ctach a fair rules break a while ago.
You need to investigate this more , if you do you will see this is not even close to the truth , the culprit here is not Grand-am, But the "one" who really refuses to comply and get with it ....

Old 06-20-2010 | 07:41 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You need to investigate this more , if you do you will see this is not even close to the truth , the culprit here is not Grand-am, But the "one" who really refuses to comply and get with it ....

Agreed. As much as we all here drink the Porsche koolaid, check the facts. With the changes to the rules the GT Porsche is there on lap times and has been a winner.

The GT class should be all Pro or at least amateur clubrace racers that can be close enough to the Pros. The Conti challenge is where most of the Amateurs get to the play, and that is the case nowadays. I think GrandAm is doing good job at actively manta inning a level playfield. With the recent weight add ons to BMWs and Mustangs it allowed the Caymans to be close enough to the front. Lap time wise they are all there. However, IMO, it's always better to have more HP thN handling for a long race.
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:05 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I have always felt another 150 bhp and the DP's would be something .....
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:13 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

I think the bad thing about the Rolex GT is having to let the DP cars go by. Who cares about the DP cars?

Last edited by cgomez; 06-20-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:14 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Porsche gets **** on in ALMS too. The RSR is the only factory made car AFAIK... Certainly nothing like the P&M Vettes...
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:15 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

If they brought back real prototypes from the 90's Rolex... The DPs are just too ugly to ever be taken seriously.

Look at what was, and could have been...

http://www.zoompics.com/2001o.htm
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:38 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

A.Wayne, so are you saying Porsche should build a tube frame GT car? Or abandon the flat 6? or both!
Old 06-20-2010 | 09:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
If they brought back real prototypes from the 90's Rolex... The DPs are just too ugly to ever be taken seriously.

Look at what was, and could have been...

http://www.zoompics.com/2001o.htm
LOL... ugly .. yeah ! ...... but purposeful ....

Grand-am has created great racing and a relatively inexpensive series. There formula works and is open to non- Billionaires. The cars look the way they do to restrict the aero , makes for close racing and drafting to pass.

Give the DP's that xtra 150 BHP and i think the public would respond even more favorably.

I really don't understand the resistance , funny how many here can't seem to enjoy both . ALMS have great looking cars , Grandam have great racing! There are not mutually exclusive ... Enjoy !

Originally Posted by bgiere
A.Wayne, so are you saying Porsche should build a tube frame GT car? Or abandon the flat 6? or both!
Porsche should build a car to be competitive in any and all series it competes in
be it tube , carbon , v8 or flat 6 TT or NA !

They have history here , i saw the tears in Alboretto's eyes when they dropped that boat anchor V10 in the back of his F1 car.( Silverstone ) It is not by accident we all talk about the glory days , 917 , 962 . It ' time for them to step up , they partial did so when they entered the ALMS , but it still was not a "porsche 917 " type effort was it ?

Audi benifitted from Piech , look at there racing success under him , Piech was responsible for the Porsche 917 era ,, this is not coincidence. Maybe Porsche will never get back to it's glory days of the Past , unless someone like Piech takes control again ...

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:07 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mazda AKA Patrick Dempsey does seem to be the favored son these days in Rolex GT.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Porsche does not screw up too many things but they dropped that ball like it was on fire when he went to them first and Porsche let him slip though their fingers and right into Mazda's pocket.

Quick Reply: What happened to Brumos?