Sponsored by:

Pagid yellows and PF 01 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pagid yellows and PF 01 comparison

For those of you who have tried both, how do they compare as far as performance, longevity, and price?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not tried yellows however my first set of 01's have worn a lot faster than my previous 97's. Two race weekends and down to 50%
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Pagids are easier on rotors and better with heat transfer. The pad does not have "initial bit" feel to it. Yellows will improve pedal feel if your overbraking and want to improve your trailing.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

What about longevity and price comparison?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I have great interest in the coments on this thread. I currently use RS29 Yellows and I got 3 DE days out of the fronts. All days were at Sebring and I braked later, trailed a little more. I usually get 5 days out of the fronts. I have used PF97's before and notice the intial bite difference was huge compared to Yellows. I'd like to try PF01's but that might be later in the year after I wear out my Yellow rears.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting topic that I will follow. Has received three proposals on the brake pads.

Performance Friction 01
Pagid Yellow
Pagid Orange

Have Texstar (OEM) brake pads mounted on the car. Was about to buy Pagid or Performance Friction last season, but thought I would give the pads that sat on the car a chance. They were pretty good, but eventually became glazed. Was forced to move the braking points further and further back to reduce speed. It convinced me that I need better brake pads. Unfortunately, I also got air in the system. The brake pedal did not feel like butt even though it was brand new ATE Racing Blue brake fluid. Read a post in another thread on the forum that Castrol SRF was better in that regard. I find it hard to understand how it is.

Read this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...and-tires.html

And this one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...gid-sport.html
Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Spoke to Mark F about this the other day. I 'd really like to get away from paying around $290 per set/axle w/ RS 29s but w/ the stock 964 calipers I think I'll prob stick w/ them for a while for the lowerr temps. Although....I ran RS 14s for a while w/ no temp probs and they are around $60 less per set. Might try them again w/ better brake fluid than ATE.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Jim, ask Larry and Chris C. Both prefer the Pagids, either black or yellow. The PFC build up a lot of heat and if your racing hard will cause a major oh sh&* moment at least once in 30min race. Forget about PFCs in an enduro. Yellows and Blacks are much better on rotor wear. My best lap at Summit was on a fresh of Yellow having never run them before. It took two laps to adjust my braking zones/pressure, but after that I preferred them hands down.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Larry:
I have found over the years that one big benefit of the RS19 and RS29 Yellows is that they are way better than other pads at not transferring as much heat to the calipers. They are also easier on the rotors. There are some fast drivers here who swear by them. I like them because even in a 45 min sprint, not even a hint of fade, in a Spec Boxster (Let the "that's a Porsche with a skirt" comments begin).

PFCs will tighten your belts more with the bite they provide. Going to run the PFC 01 next race in my car to get a baseline for comparison.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with everything that Mark said. Except the skirt comment.

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Larry:
I have found over the years that one big benefit of the RS19 and RS29 Yellows is that they are way better than other pads at not transferring as much heat to the calipers. They are also easier on the rotors. There are some fast drivers here who swear by them. I like them because even in a 45 min sprint, not even a hint of fade, in a Spec Boxster (Let the "that's a Porsche with a skirt" comments begin).

PFCs will tighten your belts more with the bite they provide. Going to run the PFC 01 next race in my car to get a baseline for comparison.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I have been using Pagid yellows up front with Pagid blacks on the rears for 3 years now. I love them. The reason I am asking is my budget has shrunk and thought if the PF 01's were cheaper but equal, that could work in my favor. If the performance and longevity are not there then I'll continue with the Pagids. I certainly don't want any "oh sh*t" moments. Between the Pagids and SRF, I have had flawless brake performance.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have great interest in the coments on this thread. I currently use RS29 Yellows and I got 3 DE days out of the fronts. All days were at Sebring and I braked later, trailed a little more. I usually get 5 days out of the fronts. I have used PF97's before and notice the intial bite difference was huge compared to Yellows. I'd like to try PF01's but that might be later in the year after I wear out my Yellow rears.
Wow dude that's some serious braking if you only got 3 days from rs29 yellows when many people are running endures on them. I put a full 3 day event at vir on some and they didn't even look like they had been used other than changing color to white. Put a couple weekends at barber and CMP and one at road atlanta too. I dont like the pads but they sure last forever. I like more bite so I can use less pedal.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Wow dude that's some serious braking if you only got 3 days from rs29 yellows when many people are running endures on them. I put a full 3 day event at vir on some and they didn't even look like they had been used other than changing color to white. Put a couple weekends at barber and CMP and one at road atlanta too. I dont like the pads but they sure last forever. I like more bite so I can use less pedal.
Well Sebring is hard on brakes...usually I get a few more days so I am not sure why the Yellows got used up this quick this time. I was turning my usual 2:29-30 times. I was working on braking later for 7 ect.

I wonder if I did not bed them in good this time....wonder if this has anything to do with pad wear?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I used the Pagid RS 19 and PFC 97 on my 78 SC which weighed about 2300 lbs with me in it. I found the Pagids to have a more pronounced initial bite while the PFC required more initial break effort. They were both very easy to modulate. I found no difference in rotor wear between the two pads over the course of 2 seasons.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

How about the longevity difference?

Quick Reply: Pagid yellows and PF 01 comparison