Sponsored by:

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Indy Car fire...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
And the idea of topping off the tank before getting to the track for a DE (to save a few bucks on gas), seems like a false economy. Especially since I can go 5 or 6 sessions on 1/2 tank.
Yeah, but I gotta wonder... whether it is a half tank of gasoline or a full tank, if you are trapped in the burning car, does that really make any difference? I would think a half tank of gasoline is more than enough to completely engulf you and the car in a fireball. Once you are burned to a crisp, do you really care how big the fireball is?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Yeah, but I gotta wonder... whether it is a half tank of gasoline or a full tank, if you are trapped in the burning car, does that really make any difference? I would think a half tank of gasoline is more than enough to completely engulf you and the car in a fireball. Once you are burned to a crisp, do you really care how big the fireball is?
Yes.

Suppose the fire is caused by a gas tank puncture during a collision/as you're coming to a stop. If 5 gallons leak onto the track behind you and there were 7 in the tank to begin with, you're in much better shape than if 5 gallons leak out and your tank was topped up to 18 gallons.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since this is completely off topic now (since the nearest gasoline in the IRL crash was in the "rescue" vehicles or pace car), when was the last time there has been a gasoline fire in a club race of any marque, let alone a DE/casual track event. Can we say less than half of the cars at any club race have fuel cells?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Yes.

Suppose the fire is caused by a gas tank puncture during a collision/as you're coming to a stop. If 5 gallons leak onto the track behind you and there were 7 in the tank to begin with, you're in much better shape than if 5 gallons leak out and your tank was topped up to 18 gallons.
Wait, so if I start with 12 gallons, use 5, add 3, and then leak 4 before the fire starts, do I need a two layer suit or a three layer suit?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Wait, so if I start with 12 gallons, use 5, add 3, and then leak 4 before the fire starts, do I need a two layer suit or a three layer suit?
Neither.

You need a lawyer.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Neither.

You need a lawyer.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
http://instantrimshot.com/
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The train left Chicago at 8:30, so they'll meet 72 miles away. Duh.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That depends...do you hang right or left?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
quick
Intermediate

The IRL, if there were making any money, would have a pro team of firefighters and their equipment, highly trained and properly equipped, that traveled to each race--no locals. In that way, you'd have, say, 25 great safety workers and a handful of trucks and lots of safety gear at each race, ready to go. Relying on locals and volunteers is almost always going to result in varying quality workers and equipment.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

That was an oil fire that ultimately lit-up the bodywork. Oil cooler is located on the right side of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I've never seen an oil fire that big that fast. but it would explain why the water was doing nothing... (what little of it there was dispersed)

Actually the rescue crews arrive pretty fast.

Car comes to stop at 28 seconds mark, 1 rescue arrives at 36 (8 seconds). but the BIG failure was not getting the water hose(s) going. (on either rescue vehicle)!!!

They get the 1st water bottle going at 56seconds. (and its a weak bottle), (20 seconds after stopping), and driver is out at 108 seconds. (72 seconds from 1st arrival).

a long time, but not that bad of time to get a drive out of enclosed cockpit car.

my only question is, Why the hell did both trucks fire hoses not work? never did see them working.... that is the big failure IMHO.

& those look like indy rescue crew... based on truck an uniforms...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
a long time, but not that bad of time to get a drive out of enclosed cockpit car.
Really?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Really?
+1!

More than a minute from the 1st safety crews arrival is waaaaay beyond acceptable.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I ran the video again, it does look like the 2nd units hose did start working... but it was slow to start.

I've never taken someone out of a burning car, but have taken guys out of a few FF's & a CF, and a 440 and it took a while. On one rescue we cut the belts. (broken leg) of course when the car is not on fire you have more time to work it...

As you know the indy cars have that collar around the driver... plus the helmet connections, hans, etc...

Every fire incident I've worked, the driver had the belts off before the car came to a stop.

I think had the 1st trucks hose worked, it would have been faster.

EDIT:
53 seconds to get the driver out. from the time 1st responder got to the driver and pulled the steering wheel. till her feet on ground. would have been sooner except for the feet get hung up...

-try it for yourself... see how long it really takes.

it might be a good exercise for the next school. to see how long it will take corner workers (or EMTS) to get a person out of a 6 pt belt car.

betcha more would be wearing those hot suits after that exercise..
Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
...a long time, but not that bad of time to get a drive out of enclosed cockpit car...
What!?

Driving suits are good for 9 SECONDS (NINE), at 53 seconds they're lucky not to get a well done corpse out of the car!

Quick Reply: WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Indy Car fire...