Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Indy Car fire...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

Scary stuff... I typically only wear my driving suit in DEs at Road America due to the higher speeds. However I don't think I will ever get in my car at any track without my suit from now on. By the way, Road America safety workers, for the Club race or DE, put these TMS workers to shame.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF.
How embarassingly inadequate and dangerous.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Holy Crap! As mention, unacceptable. Not mentioned, it took the ambulance 2 minutes to get there. That too is BS. the driving suits are only good for 9 seconds (maybe more at the top pro levels?) but none are rated for 40 seconds. Scary stuff.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Watching it live, it just made my stomach knot up. It seemed to take FOREVER...
So glad she is relatively okay.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Does anyone know if these are TMS or IRL employees?

Again, I think back to the days of CART (fondly, before Tony George accidentally had 2 synapses fire and therefore thought he had a functioning brain) and couldn't imagine that scenario unfolding.

Apart from the response to the fire, which thankfully was not engulfing the driver, the driver extraction left a bit to be desired, especially if a spinal injury could have occurred as part of the impact/crash.

That's what I was thinking. The first guy out of the truck puls out the fire hose, and waits for somebody to turn it on???????? Then the second guy comes out, and can't figure out how to turn it on?????? THEN the 3rd guy comes out, and tried to find the extinguisher.... he finally gets it, but obviously has no idea how to use it. So the next step is to pull her out of the car. I swear, by the way they were pulling her, if she didn't come free, they were going to hook her up to the truck and yank her out.

Then, her torso is out, but her legs are hung up..... SO JUST PULL HARDER!!!! Whats the worst that could happen?? Retards.

I feel horrible for her. I know only her hand got burned, but the fire wasn't THAT bad. I don't think she should have been injured at all....if the corner workers knew WTF they were doing.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The freaking corner workers didn't know how to remove a driver from an Indy car at... a freaking INDY CAR RACE!

Completely inexcusable. I am still shocked and pissed off that this could happen at the top levels of professional racing.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Larry/ Dave, et al;
The MO corner workers are Lake Erie Communications, the SCCA crew. They are indeed some of the best.
Dave - "Race" control at that event last year could have been MO staff or PCA Stewards - don't know who was manning the tower for that DE run group. I have to agree, the Corvette flambe' ws a scary sight.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Larry/ Dave, et al;
The MO corner workers are Lake Erie Communications, the SCCA crew. They are indeed some of the best.
Dave - "Race" control at that event last year could have been MO staff or PCA Stewards - don't know who was manning the tower for that DE run group. I have to agree, the Corvette flambe' ws a scary sight.
Your right...it wasn't the usual suspects at start/finish. I was standing track side at the concrete barrier with a radio...so I heard the confusion first hand....after I hit the deck <<literally

Rumor has it GM covered the engine under warranty....
Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

If I were driving in IRL I would be livid and demand two things be done before we (drivers) climb back in the car:

1) Get a new head (cockpit) restraining system extraction system/process

2) Tell the tools that are supposed to help the drivers to first and foremost, PUT THE ******* FIRE OUT!!

Especially after hitting the wall like that, can anyone say spinal cord/neck injury.

That's one of the worst displays of "safety" workers I've ever seen.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m73m95
That's what I was thinking. The first guy out of the truck puls out the fire hose, and waits for somebody to turn it on???????? Then the second guy comes out, and can't figure out how to turn it on?????? THEN the 3rd guy comes out, and tried to find the extinguisher.... he finally gets it, but obviously has no idea how to use it. So the next step is to pull her out of the car. I swear, by the way they were pulling her, if she didn't come free, they were going to hook her up to the truck and yank her out.

Then, her torso is out, but her legs are hung up..... SO JUST PULL HARDER!!!! Whats the worst that could happen?? Retards.

I feel horrible for her. I know only her hand got burned, but the fire wasn't THAT bad. I don't think she should have been injured at all....if the corner workers knew WTF they were doing.
The only other major point was the LACK of the replay and commentary on the matter by the announcers. Who has ever seen a crash with zero replay?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I was watching the race Sat nite as well. The wife sleeping on the couch with her waking up to the sound of me yelling at the TV. This is completely un-excusable! I'm sure the guys trying to get her out were from the track not the Izod IRL. Why is there not a 'kwik release' for the body molding that captures the shoulders of the driver? Maybe there is but they just panicked.

In any case I an very glad I did not have to witness a human BBQ!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streak
Holy Crap! As mention, unacceptable. Not mentioned, it took the ambulance 2 minutes to get there. That too is BS. the driving suits are only good for 9 seconds (maybe more at the top pro levels?) but none are rated for 40 seconds. Scary stuff.
Their driving suits aren't any "better" than our driving suits.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Their driving suits aren't any "better" than our driving suits.
nope, although some pro groups have a slightly higher standard than club with 3 layers and under a requirement or 3.2/10 SFI suits. SCCA Pro does for sure. A few extra seconds but nothing to get you up to 40.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tedster
Scary stuff... I typically only wear my driving suit in DEs at Road America due to the higher speeds. However I don't think I will ever get in my car at any track without my suit from now on. By the way, Road America safety workers, for the Club race or DE, put these TMS workers to shame.
And the idea of topping off the tank before getting to the track for a DE (to save a few bucks on gas), seems like a false economy. Especially since I can go 5 or 6 sessions on 1/2 tank.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts
Default main stream media reports now

http://news.mydaily.com/2010/06/07/f...e-resistant%2F

Quick Reply: WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Indy Car fire...