Sponsored by:

Who is using Race Technology DL1 etc??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I also have a DL1 in my 924, in addition to an AIM MyChron3; Dash3 is out on loan, but it and the DL1 will be going into my DSR when it's ready. It's in the 924 just so we can work out some of the learning curve, for now.

Seemed pretty easy to get up and running with it, as with the Trackmate, more so than the AIM system. Haven't had a chance to use the dash yet myself in the racecar, though, so that's still TBD (but it looks very easy).
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Well I know I'm an idiot but I didn't realise quite how much of one. I can't for the life of me see even how to use this setup as a simple lap timer. The instruction manuals for both DL1 and DASH3 don't have one simple, quick setup diagram. There's no quick start button for anything. You have to go in and create a preferred sequence of buttons. It just seems mind boggling that they don't make these things easier. I will work it out, but I feel like pulling my hair out when reading these manuals and why they don't make things easier for the layman. Erg......
Old 06-18-2010, 05:27 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey they are written in English - how bad can they be
there instructions are more like reminder notes for someone who knows what they are doing already
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found it was pretty much ready to go just from plugging it in. The only exception is the need to set a start/finish... but IIRC you can do it with a button, though maybe you have to reconfigure the button first.

I found that creating a config file on the computer and putting it on the flash card to load on turning on was easier...
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I'm very slowly working my way through it but seriously, this can't be designed by anyone but computer boffins!! It's ridiculous that you have to go into menus and sub menus and configure buttons to do something else that is not apparent on face value. wtf is wrong with a start/finish button?? Also, the 'track markers', is this for setting split time zones or some other obscure function? How many split zones do you get and why can't you just press start/stop to set each zone? The idea is to find out if you're faster through turn X by shifting into 4th or just holding 3rd through there for example. Is this what these 'Track markers' are for??

I know there will be people reading this saying "I told you, you should have got the Traqmate" but I want to use this thing for what it's intended, just that they make it hard for the average guy!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, must have missed your post there.

It would appear that the way the system is set up, ideally you take a little data around your intended track, then add start/finish and sector markers through the analysis program. Then save that track layout back to your flash card. When you fire up the system near that GPS location, it'll automagically start using that track layout.

For the "track markers" - yeah, I'd call those sector markers. You can set a whole ton... but... keep in mind that when you complete a sector, the sector time and comparison to best time for that sector will flash up and be displayed on the screen momentarily. For that reason, I like to set them as I'm exiting a corner leading onto a straight; that's a useful time to see that info. Otherwise, not too helpful.

Again, the easiest way by far to configure the buttons, etc, on the dash and DL1 seem to be by using the config program on your computer, save the SETUP.BIN or Dash3_cfg1.DH3 file(s) to the flash card, then let them load automatically into the system. I agree, the interface through the buttons on screen just isn't as easy, by far...

Hope that helps; if you were on this side of the globe, I'd suggest giving a ring, but...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the time Vaughan. I never got it to work over the track weekend we just had. Didn't hurt my times, but perhaps they could have been better too.

Just to clarify something, I managed to config one of the buttons to start and stop logging. Are you saying that I should just start logging and drive around the track and then add start / finish + sectors during that logging, or after logging-saving to flash card? I put in the flash card and started logging but nothing was showing on the screen so I don't know if anything saved or not. I assumed not, so I haven't checked the Flash card. Better do that today.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:55 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes - you can just start and stop logging, then analyze later. Most important is to properly stop logging (as mentioned in the instructions) before killing power, or the run file will not likely load.

You have the option of setting up the buttons and marking start/finish and sectors while driving on track, but it's not required (except to see laptimes, unless you already have a track map on the card).

Sounds like you need to read the instructions a little bit more...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I have read the instructions but still think they could be a LOT clearer. As you say, need to read them again but I've been online trying to find more info on their website and forums also...without a lot of success.
Might try again just driving around the block. Could break all sorts of records.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL

Yes, I would definitely recommend debugging it/your useage by doing laps around the block!!

Their knowledge base is a bit hard to get to on their website; here's a direct link:
http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/...at=7447&lang=2

It's also a bit slow to load. I've pretty much found all the answers I need there, generally... other than my local distributor. Which raises the question - can't they provide assistance too, or are they not local?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well I had a little bit more of a play and made a track around the block. So it seems that you have to have the flash card in whenever you want to operate this thing? I managed to get a track trace and loaded some sectors. Took the flashcard out and downloaded it to laptop. Saw the track and then had a brief play with the software. Then re-loaded the flashcard into the DL1. It said something about processing. So I thought everything was going ok. So then I think, why don't I drive around the block a few times to see the laptimer work. Nope, nothing showing or logging...so I'm stumped again. Guess it's really small steps for this fool, but I'm sorry to bang on about it, but this could be so much easier. If I was inventing a tool for motorsport enthusiasts I would ask them what they want and I'm sure it would be closer to what I need than how they've created this. Funnily I also found a bunch of files from the weekend that I didn't even know I had logged. Ha, what a clown.
As frustrated and stupid as I sound, I am actually really looking forward to being able to use this thing for what it's intended. It is impossible to second guess if a certain line or shift/brake point is better than another just by outright laptimes. Having said that, I managed to improve quite well through seat-time and video analysis.

Well I bought this from a Rennlister in the US. I think we have one agent for Race Tech down here who lives hundreds of miles away. Don't think he's going to be too thrilled with helping me out. Not about to buy the Video 4 system from him. Yikes that's expensive!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

In Analysis, did you save your markers/sectors (under the Advanced Load/Saves menu)? You can call this whatever you like, as I understand... then take this "neighborhood.lap" file and copy it to the top directory of the flash card. Put that flash card in the DL1, and when you start lapping in your neighborhood, it should use that for lap/sector timing.

Note also that in order to log data etc, you do need to hit the start and stop button appropriately. There is a way to make it log automatically, but I haven't got that working foolproof yet myself, so don't want to make recommendations there that I can't stand behind! LOL You should see the one little green "Logging" light come on when it's logging, as well as a small "L" displayed on the Dash3.

Yes, the system is a bit old in design - but very powerful!

Hope that helps get you a little closer to where you want to be...
Old 06-20-2010, 05:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hey thanks a whole bunch Vaughan for persisting with this/me. Much appreciated. Wish I had some young Whippersnapper around to explain this to me in here. Probably an 8 year old delinquent could do it on their ear.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL! No problem...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached link to instruction to "auto start". I set it to log automatically > 20 mph. I have to manually stop logging, either by pressing the log button, or sometime I just pull the power (the only difference is that the file on the CF card will not be time stamped.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/...tomaticLogging

Quick Reply: Who is using Race Technology DL1 etc??