Sponsored by:

WG race video - almost taken out at the start

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
I would say all went very well for the accused...he made a fine, strong move and came up second. The mistake is on the red car for not being aware at the start of a race that someone might just be looking inside before turning in...
I think that 182 threw a Hail Mary and was darn lucky to make it stick. So yes it went well for him, but this could have ended very differently. As for the red car, Kris (the driver) was keeping up with the leader so he was far from asleep. There is just no way anyone expected 182 to come out from where he did... because he shouldn't have imho. Regardless, it made it interesting
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I think that 182 threw a Hail Mary and was darn lucky to make it stick. So yes it went well for him, but this could have ended very differently. As for the red car, Kris (the driver) was keeping up with the leader so he was far from asleep. There is just no way anyone expected 182 to come out from where he did... because he shouldn't have imho. Regardless, it made it interesting
Agreed, Red Car was already turning in when 182 dove into his side of the bumper.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
From either perspective, that's some aggressive driving - what kind of prizes do you guys get for these races - must be worth the risk of wrecking those nicely prepared cars?
It's the most expensive glass mug I've ever had... That said, we prepare our cars to go racing. Racing incidents happen. Obviously we're willing to risk the consequences or we wouldn't be there...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

http://vimeo.com/12208659

Here's one Sean didn't post. I'm chasing an E Boxter that i raced all weekend, Sean's coming with a full head of steam, I see him and give him the inside. He's hot, jumps the curb, I'm looking for him coming back and worrying about my guy, who's a world-class chopper, I hit the limiter, lose my mo, my guy comes over, and I lose both places. Anyway, I got past the Boxster, Sean got by cleanly, and everything was fine.

I really enjoy Rennlist most of the time, but my point in posting is that I think there's a lot of stuff put up where everyone rushes to judgement/defends their buddies without really knowing or understanding what happened (witness the later comments when someone else's video showed a different picture). We all make mistakes, recover from most of them, and apologize to our fellow drivers when we mess them up. Let's not roast people who may or not be there to defend themselves or their actions. My two cents, no intention to inflame, and your mileage may certainly vary. Great weekend, thanks to all who put it on and did such a great job of running it.

Last edited by MRW; 06-01-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Agreed, Red Car was already turning in when 182 dove into his side of the bumper.
Agreed. #182 didn't have a right to be there, since the red car was already turning in before #182 got even a third of the way alongside the red car. Very aggressive and lucky nothing happened. Kudos to the driver of the red car.

#182 should have tucked in behind the red car.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
http://vimeo.com/12208659

Here's one Sean didn't post. I'm chasing an E Boxter that i raced all weekend, Sean's coming with a full head of steam, I see him and give him the inside. He's hot, jumps the curb, I'm looking for him coming back and worrying about my guy, who's a world-class chopper, I hit the limiter, lose my mo, my guy comes over, and I lose both places. Anyway, I got past the Boxster, Sean got by cleanly, and everything was fine.
That was an interesting one to say the least. Thanks for giving me the room. I actually wasn't hot at all since I came in so shallow I it took it at 7/10ths. The only reason I jumped the curb was that I didn't expect the boxster to be going that slow at exit. My plan was to slot in behind him and then pass him in the esses, but he did a rim shot on T1 at half pace so he was going really slow at the exit. I think he was trying to give me room under him in the turn, but I was too far behind him.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From either perspective, that's some aggressive driving - what kind of prizes do you guys get for these races - must be worth the risk of wrecking those nicely prepared cars?
+3
Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I am not speaking for Sean, but that is the attitude that I had while I was DEing....

Racing is just a little bit more competitive...... you make choices in life and live with them......
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Um . . . it's racing. Anytime you take a car on a race track you need to be prepared to ball it up. It's the risk of the sport. One just hopes your car isn't a smoking ball of metal due to someone doing something stoopid. I could just as easily injure myself playing basketball in my driveway and I don't get a trophy for that either. Skydiving, white water rafting, base jumping, all risky but the rush is awesome!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So after watching the couple of videos here are my .02.

1. Nice awareness on that Sean, could have been worse if you had just done what a lot of people do and expect to be able to do by riding the inside through the turn.

2. That was a very bold move and not what I see as commonplace in PCA where the 13/13 exists. In SCCA/NASA yeah that's situation normal. But he made it stick so you can always go all's well that end's well and move on.

3. That start lineup was ragged at best. Charlie was hanging back near the right column's third row when he was the second row, the guy behind him looked to be back a bit and then a couple rows back on the right side same deal. BIG gaps on one side and tight on the other. Green shouldn't have been thrown IMO. That is ultimately the first domino what caused all of it if you asked me.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

I personally think after many viewings of Charlies video that all 3 cars in front were overbraking for turn 1 and the move was one of the best I've seen all year..!! Not once did the overtaking car look or display any attitude of unstable or out of control, he would have made that turn and probably passed #1 mid way down into 2 with ease had it not been for the red car moving over on him. The red car clearly moves over to block the inside line just as he sees faster car approaching, he does not own that space, and he is not turning in for the turn either, look at the attitude of #1 and # 3, they are still going straight ahead when red car moves hard right...

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
I personally think after many viewings of Charlies video that all 3 cars in front were overbraking for turn 1 and the move was one of the best I've seen all year..!! Not once did the overtaking car look or display any attitude of unstable or out of control, he would have made that turn and probably passed #1 mid way down into 2 with ease had it not been for the red car moving over on him.
+1. He was the only car out there actually racing. Good move.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Don't agree, the turn in for T1 is waay back before the curb and Chris (red car) was well into the turn. I was the car behind Charlie and I layed back when I saw #182 diving from left to right to left into the pile of cars fully expecting carnage. It's the 1st turn in the race, was a stupid move.

"He was the only car out there actually racing. Good move."
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
3. That start lineup was ragged at best. Charlie was hanging back near the right column's third row when he was the second row,
You can't tell because you can only hear Sean's engine, but I'm flat out from the 5 second mark on. Sean and I are in good position until the 2 second mark where the pace picks up. Sean and I start accelerating to keep up and the D cars are simply faster. That's all the Boxster has! There was no "hanging back". Just a fast pace by the pole car (his prerogative) that I couldn't match and Sean could.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great driving and awareness to avoid a huge wreck, Sean. Seeing the video, my take is that maybe Kris turned in way early to defend his line against a car that was closing way fast. Questionable move?

Quick Reply: WG race video - almost taken out at the start