Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROBIN HOOD RALLY !

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010 | 10:42 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Streak, and others, I don't mean to rain on the parade, I'm just saying that this thing is no joke. I'm glad to hear that it's a cool event and that you guys are having fun, but that guy in the Bimmer was nearly killed, and I also hear that no less than NINE cars were totalled. Huge end over end wrecks, tumbling into the woods kind of stuff. How come no one is talking?
Old 05-26-2010 | 10:52 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gums
How come no one is talking?
Signed contracts with the show?
Old 05-26-2010 | 10:54 AM
Tim L
Advanced

Do you guys have navigators? Or do you drive the course before you run it at speed? After doing the Targa Newfoundland I have respect for going all out on public roads there is a lot of stuff that can bite you, be careful out there.

Tim
Old 05-26-2010 | 11:05 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Some people had navigators but they should not be allowed IMHO as it helps them PLUS adds more risk.

We could not even preview the fast part of the course, we were just told to go up the hill and there would be a turnaround at the end. I was about redline in 4th (120+) going up and could have gone faster coming down the narrow, curvy dump access road.

Yes it was dangerous, all racing is, as is driving to work in the morning. We weigh the options and make our decisions. My choice is not to race PCA at the Glen, due to many bad experiences there I think it's too dangerous for me. I thought I would try this Rally as there is a lot more to gain than at the Glen race and I don't think the dangers are that much worse, and it's in MY hands, not some near rookie in a 400HP cup car who can barely drive.
Old 05-26-2010 | 11:22 AM
Tim L
Advanced

it’s in MY hands, not some near rookie
That's true; it's the telephone polls and no guardrails going 120 that bug me. Is there a maximum speed allowed or is it open?

Tim
Old 05-26-2010 | 01:02 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Maximum speed? It's called the Robin Hood Rally but sounds more like a pure timed race to me. No limits - wide open (the way it should be). As said earlier, everyone knows what they're getting into. I cannot wait to watch and I'm glad it's actually happening - so many people thought it was a scam.

And go Porsche guys!!!! How cool would it be if an old short wheel-based 911 grabbed one of the top spots!?
Old 05-26-2010 | 01:16 PM
TwoSeatsOrLess
Intermediate

Streak, and others, I don't mean to rain on the parade, I'm just saying that this thing is no joke. I'm glad to hear that it's a cool event and that you guys are having fun, but that guy in the Bimmer was nearly killed, and I also hear that no less than NINE cars were totalled. Huge end over end wrecks, tumbling into the woods kind of stuff. How come no one is talking?
Gums, you're 100% correct that this event is no joke.

I am participating, I am certain no one is 'talking' due to the confidentiality agreements we've signed. I am running the Rally with a driver/navigator set up, as are a few others; some are displeased with that but we were accepted to the Rally under the premise it was OK.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the events go. I have participated in a number of different racing events over the years from Skip Barber to HSR, SVRA, NASA, SCCA, autocrosses and karting on big and little tracks, HPDE's, etc and this event is far-and-away the least safe of all, for a number of reasons.

Last edited by TwoSeatsOrLess; 05-26-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-26-2010 | 05:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I'm with gums too. Even with the confidentiality agreement, they won't be able to stop the news of the dangers and happenings of this event from getting out.

Mike - you can't possibly think driving the same effort on the track and on the street are the same levels of danger. There is no way to justify that. Tracks are designed for safety in the event of a crash at very high speeds. Roads are designed for the speed limit. And comparing high speed driving to your daily commute is laughable.

There is another group doing something like this out west soon. It's a blind hillclimb (no practice), and first year of the event, and they are inviting people with no cages, convertibles and everything else. And they are in the mountains. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
Old 05-26-2010 | 05:54 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
comparing high speed driving to your daily commute is laughable.
I stand by that statement. Everything we do in life has danger. A friend I worked with at my last job always said that race car drivers have a death wish. I told him that his bass boat fishing was more dangerous, every year people die in our state in fishing accidents. Duffy nearly died falling off his roof while working on it, he's in a wheelchair with minimal mental facilities.

In high school I had a counselor, a very philosophical guy who taught me a lot. He asked if I wanted to race at Indy and I told him it was too dangerous. He explained to me about life and gave me something to think about.

Is the RHR safe? No. I sure wish it was a big autocross with only cones to hit.
Old 05-26-2010 | 06:48 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Where are the sneak previews?
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:10 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Where are the sneak previews?
www.wreckedexotics.com
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

ROTFLMFAO OMGWTFBBQ

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Looks entertaining so far......
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:24 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

That was just for YOU, VR!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-26-2010 | 07:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 08-05-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: ROBIN HOOD RALLY !