Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?
Yes, he will not get any better as a driver than he is now
39.51%
No, Alonso will only get better with Ferrari.
32.10%
Too early to tell.
13.58%
He will make more mistakes than in the past, but still win a WDC or 2
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is Alonso on the backside of his career?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:44 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

I don't know how this thread got side tracked with an Alonso vs. Schumacher debate. It's not about that. It's about an observation I've noticed about Alonso and mistakes at crucial times that have cost him this year.

Someone mentioned he's pushing the car to get that extra few 10ths because the Ferrari is not on par with the Red Bulls. True, but at Monaco Alonso was fastest in all the practices. He had the fastest car and has admitted after the race that he could have won...... but he made an unexplainable mistake in the final practice before qualifying. There are no excuses for that at this level. He probably cost himself a race win and at the very least a solid podium. He just didn't make these critical mistakes in the past.

My other point was that he he is talking like Ferrari is his last place of employment. It's clear that he is trying his best at this point with Ferrari saying all the right things eventhough he is making major mistakes. But my experience has shown that once someone is thinking about the end of their career, they are pretty much there mentally. I'm not sure if Alonso is thinking like a short timer or not, it's just something to look at over the course of the season.

There seems to be a trend over the life of a driver's career. At first, they make stupid mistakes (think Hamilton beaching the car in China, Vettel crashing into Kubica last year at the end of the race etc), then the driver matures and is nearly flawless in his execution. Then the skills begin to dimish and the mental mistakes take place, things that didn't happen just a couple years prior.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Is that possible?
Yes.. of course uncle larry ............ i watch your racing videos all the time

Originally Posted by Ray S
LOL, he won both WDC's with the best car in the field. The car was so good it made Fisi look talented. In '06 the real credit goes to Schumacher for staying in the hunt with clearly inferior tires.
LOL... Yes of course Poor schumacher. His custom Bridgestones which took him to 5 wdc failed him ..Phatetic ray , very!

Originally Posted by enduro911
First, I mentioned that many multi world champions have the ability to win when their competitors have good cars, not necessarily win championships when other drives have competitive cars. But sure, I'll take a crack at it.

Let's take a look at the 94 season. In a way, Schumacher's start to the season was like Alonso's starts in 05 and 06. He had a car that had less pace than their competitors,

aggh Wrong !

Schumacher 94 benetton had many "illegal" modifications vs his competitors giving him a distinct advantage for the 94 season . They ( Benetton ) lost the manufactures championship because Schumachers teammates fell by the way
side. He eventually had to bump Hill with a bent car from another one of his under pressure failures and got away with it to win the 94 championship..

In 95 he won with an inferior car to the Williams , but that was due to the deficiencies of both hill and coulthard . so chalk up that 1 ...

While the Hill/Schumacher incident can be debated as to whose fault it was

LOL.. debated by who .. Stevie Wonder .............

(we know what you'll say about this), Newey had to create a Bspec Williams for DH after Senna died (RIP) in order to allow Damon to be competitive. Once he did, Schumacher's gap was significantly reduced. Remember, the Bennetton didn't have a V10 in it either (just launch control ).

OK!

What Bennetton did to the competition in 95 mostly a result of that chassis being coupled with more power. Williams won the constructors championship in 94 for a reason...they had the better car.

No they did not , Schumacher had defunct teammates 1 car scoring points vs 2 @ williams , i would agree Williams did close the gap to Benetton by season's end .

For Schumacher to even be in a position to win the championship was notable.

Now this is Phatetic ,,, LOL...

As long as we're on the subject, here's a couple more things to note. You wanted to focus on championships won, but just make note that the F310B was far behind the FW19 in 1997, especially early on in the season. Villeneuve and Frentzen weren't the greatest driver combination, but again Michael made it a close race...close enough for him to justify cheating.

LOL.... Now beyond Pathetic.....

Finally, let's switch gears and look at both Fernando and Michael for a second. Luck, in combination with driver skills, plays a huge role in winning a WDC without the best car. Hell, it play a huge role in general. Right team, right time, etc. Gone are the days when Villeneuve can best the turbo Renaults by pure driver skill. Modern F1 cars don't really allow for the kind of passing and race craft necessary for a driver to win on racecraft and on-track skill alone. Thus, the best thing that a driver can do to put himself in a position to win the championship in any car but the fastest is to make the passes where and when he can, score consistently, take advantage of other teams' mistakes, and drive well in chaotic situations, like the wet.

Barichello was faster than schumacher in the wet ..........

Both Alonso and Schumacher have exhibited those traits in at least two seasons. Schumacher could have won in 06 had he not blown his motor in Suzuka.

Yes , I wonder how early the championship would have been over , If Alonso never had a movable aero device at his feet in the car, Ferrari assistance played big here.. ....

Raikkonen could have won in 05 if he hadn't poured Finlandia in the Mclaren's fuel tanks before the race

True , maybe ! well good enuff to get Schumacher fired @ Ferrari

. Alonso could have won in 07

Absolutely if not for Ron Dennis and again in 08 ...

The list goes on. That's why it's pretty pointless to argue exactly how many championships a driver has. It goes beyond that...but then again I'm sure you knew that...

If Schumacher was around in the 80's he would have won no more than 1 wdc, well maybe 2 IMO, but better than that , put any of the top F1 drivers from any era and apply schumachers contractually gift and calcualte their WDC .. Hmmm

Imagine if senna could not race Prost at Mclaren .. chiii ching .....

or

Lauda could not race Prost at Mclaren ......

I know , i Know .. What if Arnoux was not allowed to race Prost @ Renault ,,,, there was 2 that got away, What if Montoya was not allowed to race Kimi ! Mansell not allowed to race Piquet .. cha ching 1 more for daddy making it 4 WDC .. on , and on ...

ahhhh yes ............... Such is the great MS, the secret is in the contract, ask Rosberg, who was faster , then slower , then faster ....
Old 05-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My other point was that he he is talking like Ferrari is his last place of employment. It's clear that he is trying his best at this point with Ferrari saying all the right things eventhough he is making major mistakes. But my experience has shown that once someone is thinking about the end of their career, they are pretty much there mentally. I'm not sure if Alonso is thinking like a short timer or not, it's just something to look at over the course of the season.
That's an interesting point, but his comments could simply mean he is trying to express how glad he is to be at Ferrari, and build loyalty with the team.

Alonso will win the WDC again (this year, IMO) and be a factor as long as he's in the car.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Oh, Pete. Stirring the pot? I know there is someone on the board who is not taking this well.

I don't think a couple of errors is a definitive sign he is past his prime.
I hope 29 is not over the hill. That would mean I've celebrated SOOO many anniversaries of my over the hill b-day I will soon be having an OTH-OTH birthday. Got that?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For sure Alonso is past his prime...

OK, seriously, I'm not sure whether he'll get any better he already is but that doesn't mean he's "done". He has a good car (2nd best, just behind RB at the moment) and No. 1 status in his team so as long as he maintains his skill level as it is, he has a chance to win WDC.

His 2 big mistakes in 6 races so far are a sign of his lack of "calmness" though. He's shown this before and in his WDC years didn't have to face pressure (got the early lead and from then on was just being careful and collecting points) so now when faced with pressure, it's interesting to see how he copes.

Definitely not done yet but imagine the headlines (in Italian press and from Wayne) if Kimi had screwed up twice in his 1st 6 races with Ferrari as Alonso has done...
He for sure gets a "pass" for some reason.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
For sure Alonso is past his prime...

OK, seriously, I'm not sure whether he'll get any better he already is but that doesn't mean he's "done". He has a good car (2nd best, just behind RB at the moment) and No. 1 status in his team so as long as he maintains his skill level as it is, he has a chance to win WDC.

His 2 big mistakes in 6 races so far are a sign of his lack of "calmness" though. He's shown this before and in his WDC years didn't have to face pressure (got the early lead and from then on was just being careful and collecting points) so now when faced with pressure, it's interesting to see how he copes.

Definitely not done yet but imagine the headlines (in Italian press and from Wayne) if Kimi had screwed up twice in his 1st 6 races with Ferrari as Alonso has done...
He for sure gets a "pass" for some reason.
Finn LOL.. KImi was a disaster remember his Monaco performance in 07 ...

Massa's performance is a better yardstick of where Ferrari is at the moment ...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Finn LOL.. KImi was a disaster remember his Monaco performance in 07 ...

Massa's performance is a better yardstick of where Ferrari is at the moment ...

Sure, Kimi StrekStrekStrekStreked up the same way in Monaco as did Alonso, except that it was the only StrekStrekStrekStrekup in 1st 6 races and there was a lot of rap for that.
Alonso has StrekStrekStrekStreked up royally twice but hasn't had much of anything said in media etc.

Massa? He's so lost that even finding a needle in haystack would be easier, ever since Hungary he's been somewhere else.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Schumacher 94 benetton had many "illegal" modifications vs his competitors giving him a distinct advantage for the 94 season . They ( Benetton ) lost the manufactures championship because Schumachers teammates fell by the wayside. He eventually had to bump Hill with a bent car from another one of his under pressure failures and got away with it to win the 94 championship..
Many can mean 2, semantically, but I believe you’re using it to describe more than launch control and traction control. What else did he have? And sources if you find evidence of any more, please. These things gave him an advantage in the first part of the season, but were not contributing factors post the French GP. The Williams, on the other hand, made great progress at Imola, a race before the half way point of the season. Thus, Hill wasn’t completely helpless for the entire first half of the season.
Let’s also remember, Schumacher was rightfully penalized and wasn’t allowed to compete for two races and was excluded from two more, but STILL managed to win. Those consequences whether he alone was at fault or not, are still huge obstacles to overcome.

In 95 he won with an inferior car to the Williams , but that was due to the deficiencies of both hill and coulthard . so chalk up that 1 ...
You said he never had. But I agree the 95 car wasn’t as good as the Williams, either. Remember, I only really defended 94 in any detail.
No they did not , Schumacher had defunct teammates 1 car scoring points vs 2 @ williams , i would agree Williams did close the gap to Benetton by season's end .
The Williams FW16B in the second half of the season was a better car if for no other reasons than it was fast and controllable. The best car may not be the easiest to drive, but that’s a factor that goes a long way in consistently scoring points. Hill threw points away that mathematically cost him the championship in the German Grand Prix, something someone like Alonso, in previous seasons without the fastest car, didn’t do.
As you mentioned, Schumacher’s teammates were unable to get their hands around the Benetton in 1994, mainly because it wasn’t controllable. I'll let Finn vouch of the fact the Lehto has pretty good reactions, too, so it's not as though these guys were talentless. In 95, the Benetton chassis stayed pretty much the same, which meant it was still very twitchy and loses of grip were abrupt, but with the added power, they could make up extra time on the Williams. Neither car was easy to drive, which reflects well on Herr Schumacher.

Now this is Phatetic ,,, LOL...
If that is pathetic, then Alonso’s 07 performance is also pathetic because he only put himself in a position to win the WDC but did not do so despite having the best car post-Australia (because Ferrari could no longer utilize their movable floor device), and was beaten by a rookie teammate. Schumacher beat his teammate (on and off the track) and challenged those with a better car.

LOL.... Now beyond Pathetic.....
I actually meant this to be something humorous and on which we could agree. Cheating was/is not the right course of action.

Barichello was faster than schumacher in the wet ..........
In a few circumstances and even if that’s generally true, what about the rest of the time? I said drive well in chaotic situations, not win every time the track is wet.

Yes , I wonder how early the championship would have been over , If Alonso never had a movable aero device at his feet in the car, Ferrari assistance played big here.. ....
I honestly don't know what you're referring to here. Are you talking about the movable floor from the 07 car? The wheel covers on the 06 and 07 car?

If Schumacher was around in the 80's he would have won no more than 1 wdc, well maybe 2 IMO, but better than that , put any of the top F1 drivers from any era and apply schumachers contractually gift and calcualte their WDC .. Hmmm
Welcome to Business 101, where it is taught that most people and companies make the most of advantages that are (and sometimes could even come close to being construed as) legal, whether or not they are 100% fair or scrupulous. Why didn’t the aforementioned drivers build such a clause into their contract? I’m not saying it’s the best indicator of who is truly the better on-track driver, but if one is concerned with success, it would certainly help.
Point 2 and something I’ve mentioned before, Schumacher and Brawn have worked together for a long time now, and before this season, it was Schumacher/Brawn/Byrne. The combination obviously worked wonders early on. Why would a driver want to part with a formula he knows is successful? Being a good Formula 1 driver means positioning yourself well within a team. By the logic in the first part of your signature, the (true) great one is undeserving of this title because he never won a World Championship without the help of Gordon Murray. I know I know, “BLASPHEMY!!!” and “Senna is God!!!” For the record, I have the utmost respect of his skill and commitment as a driver and I believe he is one of the best to ever participate in the sport. You’re half right, the secret to incredible numerical success is partially in the contract, the rest is skill and luck.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will just document each and every time ALONSA makes a major blunder. That is now 3 out of 7 race weekends and two in a row he has made an absolute unthinkable blunder for an astonishing 43% failure rate. Boy has he lost it early in his career. Still in his 20's too. That's a shame because an old man in his 40's out qualified him today.

Don't bank on any safety car periods here to save his bacon.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
[B]IDon't bank on any safety car periods here to save his bacon.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:40 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I honestly didn't think his mistakes this year were a big deal until this qualifying session. I didn't see it but the way it's described, Alonso should have done better. I still don't think that he's "done" with his career. Piquet, Lauda, Prost...they all had bad years but the difference is that these guys were not in any type of title fight when they decided to slack.

I really do wonder what's up with him. He's performed well under pressure and even at Mclaren, after he settled down post Hungary, he didn't make mistakes on track. Driving for Ferrari? Shouldn't be a huge jump in pressure, at least not anything more than he's dealt with in the past. Needing to beat Massa? No, he's doing that. The only things I can think of are the added expectations after his maiden victory and that he feels that the team's mistakes and the reliability problem are going to cost him at the end of the year because he's under the delusion that he's actually got a shot at winning the WDC. In essence, he's essentially trying to correct the mistakes, both his and otherwise, earlier this year. Let's face it, this hasn't been the most predictable of years.

The good thing is he's not going to have the chance because RB are going to run away. His performances will thus not matter so if he's suffering from said pressure, it'll be off him until next year when Ferrari hopefully will have a more competitive car.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I will just document each and every time ALONSA makes a major blunder. That is now 3 out of 7 race weekends and two in a row he has made an absolute unthinkable blunder for an astonishing 43% failure rate. Boy has he lost it early in his career. Still in his 20's too. That's a shame because an old man in his 40's out qualified him today.

Don't bank on any safety car periods here to save his bacon.
It's the team's fault. They keep letting her down.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
It's the team's fault. They keep letting her down.
That's actually what she, the great car developer, said in an interview yesterday commenting that the team hasn't made enough development...
Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911
I honestly didn't think his mistakes this year were a big deal until this qualifying session.
Really?

You didn't think completely writing off the car in the last practice session just before qualifying in, of all places, MONACO, wasn't a "Big Deal"?

You didn't think jumping the start in China and getting a drive through penalty was a "Big Deal"?

If what Finn is saying about him blaming the team about not developing the car enough, then the beginning of the end is upon us. The car was a race winner in week 1. Today, they are behind both Mercedes and Renault!

We all called it. Alonso is an absolute cancer to a team. Was it Montgomery that burned through Georgia in the 1800? ALonso makes that look like a backyard BBQ.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hey! what happened in qualifying ?

There was so much dust . it appears some **** clown made another 35 Million dollar mistake and ran off the track.

Quick Reply: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?