Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Classes for 944 NA, toyo proxes, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA Classes for 944 NA, toyo proxes, etc...

Ugh, now I feel like a real dumb azz

Here all along I though the 944 cup series was in line with most NASA events and while I have been assembling my car, I've done so somewhere between NASA's 44spec and the 44cup rules. Well my dumb butt now realizes the 44cup series out this direction does not really fall in line with nasa great lakes which is the region that hits mid ohio, putnam, etc(close tracks).

Now I'm left pondering what to do.. I've been volunteering and accruing track time with nasa great lakes over the past two years. I want to take a comp school at the aug mid ohio event for a NASA provisional license, HOWEVER, I have a few issues..

944 spec, i am out of compliance in 2 areas:
1.) I don't have any toyo proxe's so that means tire purchase, whether new or used.($ hit as i have full set of hoosier slicks now)
2.) Spare tire hump has been deleted from my car. guess i can look for wrecked car and re attach one with dzus fastners. what if i fab one out of sheet metal? the concern is areo right ?

What other classes do the 944 NA guys typically run in NASA ?
GTS4 ? (german touring group 4 ?)(just my guess)

Sorry if i am rambling here. just talking aloud to determine what to do. Hopefully I can chat with someone at the Putnam even and come up with a game plan.

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Ugh, now I feel like a real dumb azz

Here all along I though the 944 cup series was in line with most NASA events and while I have been assembling my car, I've done so somewhere between NASA's 44spec and the 44cup rules. Well my dumb butt now realizes the 44cup series out this direction does not really fall in line with nasa great lakes which is the region that hits mid ohio, putnam, etc(close tracks).

Now I'm left pondering what to do.. I've been volunteering and accruing track time with nasa great lakes over the past two years. I want to take a comp school at the aug mid ohio event for a NASA provisional license, HOWEVER, I have a few issues..

1.) I don't have any toyo proxe's so that means tire purchase, whether new or used.($ hit as i have full set of hoosier slicks now)
2.) Spare tire hump has been deleted from my car. guess i can look for wrecked car and re attach one with dzus fastners. what if i fab one out of sheet metal? the concern is areo right ?

Sorry if i am rambling here. just talking aloud to determine what to do. Hopefully I can chat with someone at the Putnam even and come up with a game plan.

Tom
I can't help you on the compliance questions (although you might be able to bum a set of used tires from a 44 cup driver.

And I would think a non-turbo 944 would fit in GTS1.

You can post a question in the Racing/DE Forum.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I had really wanted to yank the darn balance shafts just to do away with that mess but it's not allowed in 44 spec class.

oh well, suppose that i could just invest in new seals and leave em in place..

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If yoy have a plastic tank you can completely remove the well within the rules...as far as the tires yes you'll need to get some RA1s I've heard good things about tiresdirect.com you can get a full set shipped around $600... (not shaved)... There was some flexibility to allow everyone to finish up using their supply of 888s you might check with the regional dir. It would me much easier/cheaper to come across a set of those than a set of RA1s even used they are like gold....
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I had really wanted to yank the darn balance shafts just to do away with that mess but it's not allowed in 44 spec class.

oh well, suppose that i could just invest in new seals and leave em in place..

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent on tires.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom

Tom,
Tires... Get a set of RA-1's. These will last alot longer then the hoosiers. Sell the hoosiers as used tires. In long run you will be saving alot of money.

Spare tire well.

Couple points. If you have 85.5 chassis you can cut out the spare tire well. This is legal for these cars since the larger plastic gas tank sits down in the underbody airflow. The early cars with steel tanks have the tire well sitting in the air flow. As such they would see a reducing in underbody drag from elminating the tire well. Therefore it is not allowed.

So if you have an 83-85 chassis with the steel tank you have two options.

1) install the plastic later fuel tank. This is not impossible, but may require a change to late style gearbox mounting.

2) put the tire well back in place. Find a shell of the tire well from a racer who could legally remove it and just bolt it back in place. The rules allow you to run the tire well that can be bolted in our out of the chassis.

Now for racing right now you have two otions.

GTS1 as is or put on RA-1 and race 944 spec. If you were in Arizona I would allow you to run a few events without the tire well until you had time to repair it properly. I would only requrie you run the RA-1.

I would run 944-spec as the cars are more equal and will cost you less to run since you can live on 2 sets of RA-1 for the entire season vs 4+ sets of Hoosiers. That is major cost savings.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

My car is an 84 so it's steel tank.

I just had a parts car but I unfortunately was not able to use the spare tire tub because it was smashed in : (

Thanks Brent, just PM'd ya!

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find a salvageable spare tire tub somewhere I'm sure. I would definitely make it a bolt in unit, just for ease of pulling tranny's.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
chris_v
Instructor

Is the tire well tub smashed beyond recognition? they are pretty malleable and easy to reform... I know from experience.
Running no balance shafts is just asking for a whole mess of problems. I didn't realize my balance shafts were out of sync for a season and I went through 4 cracked fuel rails and a cracked oil pickup, just not worth it. To make it work you have to spend a whole lotta $$ in engine work.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Come to Putnam - we'll get you squared away.
There will be a good crowd of 944 Spec racers there.
If you can get there Friday, you could help crew for the enduro, and hang out Or just come later in the weekend to stop by...

Our sponsor, Nick of Bennington Motorsports (www.BENMS.com) will be there. He may have a parts car you can get the well out of. Alternatively, I have a late plastic tank, and trans mount that I will bring to Putnam for you if you want it.
Let me know.

I went through three motors two years ago, when my engine builder at that time mis-timed the balance shafts (interpreted the markings wrong). It was amazing what all broke. Don't mess with the balance shafts!

Let me second the Toyo's -you'll be money ahead in the end.

If you make the car Spec compliant, than you can also cross-over and run with Brent & Mark et al in the PCA SP-1 class (same rules).

Otherwise, you can run the car in GTS-1, which is where all of the ex-Cup guys in the Great Lakes region are running these days. Then you can do whatever you want, so long as you stay under the 18.5lbs/HP cap. You'd want to look into aero mods, etc. if you want to run up front there. Pick your poisen, speed, and budget!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you in Ohio? We have up to a dozen cars running in GTS1 where all of your mods and then some are allowed. We'll be at Putnam running this weekend. Looks like five 944Spec cars, all from the Midwest, and three GTS1 cars all from Great Lakes. I will confess I am running a 44 Spec in the enduro and my GTS1 car in the sprints.
John Zemon from A Part Above is down in Ashland and probably has whatever you need, plus we have tons of parts to share as Eric says.
We'll bet at BRaver Run in June and then Mid Ohio July and August so stop by.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Keep the hoosiers and run them in DEs? Practicing going real fast might get you to push harder and go faster on the RA1s...

I'm sure there are racers who use new RA1s for every race and have a bunch of slightly used ones laying around... There's always a few like that.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Ditto what Northcoast Cab said...come to Beaverun with us, run in GTS 1. Oh, and don't mess with the balance shafts...that will indeed come back to haunt you. Some of us ex-944 Cup'ers are running the PCA Club race at Mid-Ohio this weekend...We'll be running in SP2 while the Putnam guys will be scoring valuable points in GTS 1...Oh well, Putnam is a haul and Mid-O is really close!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

If you don't yet have a comp license, then just use whatever tires you have in DE.

John (North Coast Cab) makes a good point about John at A Part Above - he's also a series sponsor - you could win whatever you need from him as well. He's also local to you.

We'll all be there this weekend, and we all get along well - swing by for a

Quick Reply: NASA Classes for 944 NA, toyo proxes, etc...