Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Classes for 944 NA, toyo proxes, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good info, thanks for the responses.

I'll be at Putnam this weekend, working(volunteering) in Tech Inspect/Impound area on Saturday/Sunday. Unfortunately I will not arrive till 8ish friday evening so I'll miss the enduro, otherwise I would have gladly helped out.

My pref is to just find a hump and 'bolt' it on vs changing the tank and such. I have a spare steel tank so would like to stick with that setup.

As of now I don't have a comp license, but was hoping to apply for the provisional one and do a comp school at the August Mid Ohio nasa event. I wasn't able to get a doc apt for the full physical till late July so that kinda limits me on license application, plus, I want to get a couple DE's to make sure all my suspension is good.

I'm considering DE for Beaver if car is ready but at this point my first 'doable' comp opportunity is the Mid Ohio August NASA event. I plan to DE at the July nasa Mid O event too.

All my safety gear is up to snuff, car and driver equip both. I may have to replace the drivers belts as they hit the 2 year mark in dec of this year.

Remaining TO DO's are timing and balance belts, balance shaft seals, water pump, front wheel bearings, repack rear cv joints, corner balance and alignment, and class stickers. Oh, and paint the sunroof delete.

f1rocks(Brent) is being kind enough to drop off some used toyo's for me on his way to the Glenn later this month. I'll probably cruise the pits at Putnam this weekend for a useable set too, that way I can get my ride height set on the propper profile tires and such.

I'm close...

Tom

Oh yeah, I'm in Columbus Ohio..

Last edited by originalmotorhead; 05-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

It was nice to meet a bunch of you at Putnam this weekend. Seemed like a good turn out overall and I was glad to see so many 944's for spec and for gts as well.

Just an FYI, I'm gonna hustle on my car to hit the june Beaver event and get some hpde time and then talk some more with the nasa guys about comp school stuff for later in the summer. We'll see..

Again, it was nice to meet you guys..

Tom
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tom, where abouts were u? don't think i met ya. i was hanging with the 944 spec area on sunday.

eric, linda, neil, ray, mike, matt, angel....i probably forgot somebody...good to meet all of ya! had absolute blast for a first day with nasa and putnam. will be aiming for blackhawk for sure
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

For the most part, I was working in the Tech Inspect garage but I popped by the spec guys paddock area a few times on sat/sun. I was over there sunday when they lined up for a group Bemns photo. Was pretty cool. All were nice guys and willing to talk 44 talk too.

Heck, even bumped into Ben and his brother at one point.

Tom
Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

How did you all run with Mistimed balance shafts? It would have to be excruciating with the vibrations. I drove a car like that and it was awful! How could you even stand it in the paddock?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
krystar
Drifting

ahh ok. i would have met ya during tech but they did all the HPDE techs at the grid and not the garage heh.

i was there at the end of the photoshoot. i was just coming back from a hpde session when they finished up.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Hey,
I think I remember you driving by, going out to the grid when they were gathering the 44's for the shoot. In fact i remember your car, you had a transparent sunroof. Right ?

Oh well, maybe see you at Mid Ohio or the Last Putnam event.

Tom
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
krystar
Drifting

heh yup plexi sunroof. midohio is really far. putnam is farthest i've ever driven for an event. i'd def be aiming to make the last putnam event
Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Well as long as my wallet and car hold out, I'll be there ;P

Tom
Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
midohio is really far. putnam is farthest i've ever driven for an event.
What is that like 2 hours for you? You are spoiled!! A trip to the track starts at 5 hours!!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 AM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by f1rocks
What is that like 2 hours for you? You are spoiled!! A trip to the track starts at 5 hours!!
it was 5 hours! i live in northwest side of chicago. takes an hour and half just to get to the indiana border.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom & Yuliang -

It was great to meet you both! We all had a blast.

Here's a pics of the cars:

Yulaing's 944:

The enduro was especially fun - thanks to some luck (got a flat on the recon laps, and was able to get it fuxed before pace car went out), consistent drinving, the 944's large tank, and efficient pit work by the Bennington Motorsports team. Went from last to an overal win!

Looking foward to seeing you guys out there some more...
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Guys,
Well, I ended up getting a hold of some window seals the other night(thanks to my buddy Mike here in ohio) so now I'll be able to re install the oem glass quarter windows.... One step closer to compliance for 44 spec ;P

I think the spare tire hump is all that is left for me to be "44 spec compliance".

Brent hooked me up with a set of used toyo's that looks good enough for a race or two. Yippie !!

Right now I have the motor in pieces. Replaced all the balance shaft seals last night. Tonight / this weekend I hope to get the water pump changed(or decide to leave it be), all new seals for the oil/water cooler, timing and balance belts and rollers, new AOS seals, and then button up the whole thing and hope she fires up !

My car has seen some serious love this past week, not to mention that my wallet hates me :O

Tom

Quick Reply: NASA Classes for 944 NA, toyo proxes, etc...