Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dummyproof integrated HD Video/Data Overlay? Pipedream?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Dummyproof integrated HD Video/Data Overlay? Pipedream?

I've followed the video recorder and data threads for the past couple of years. I'd like to put HD video and data in my car and have it integrated but want something plug and play. I don't have the time or inclination to do something complicated.

I nearly bought an IQ3, nearly bought Traqmate but want easy to use HD video.

Is there anything on the market? Or am I stuck with integrating data and video after the fact?

What do you guys use?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

AFAIK the best you can with standalone video is get what a GPS gives you and the AIM Smartycam is pretty good in that regard. After that you need a data feed to give you RPM, actual brake and gas position, etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Chris,

Traqmate now has the capability of controlling some Sony and Canon HD cameras. Cameras that have a LANC interface specifically. I suspect this only solves part of your problem. It turns the camera on and starts recording, then stops recording when you switch off the Traqmate. You still have to do the data overlay yourself. I've been trying to make that same interface work with an Aiptek camera. I've come close, but it's not read for prime time yet.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just picked up a new one this past weekend, brand new prototype built by a local racer. An self contained camera/microphone with integrated GPS tracking, forward full frame with simultanious rear facing fish eye in car (with night vision) has it's own software that will overlay the gps path on google earth, and downloads to a sim card... I just did videolink with my racepak telemetry worked great..not at home but I'll post up pics links when I get home...and it actually looks cool! $300...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

OK then, if nothing truly integrated is on the market, what is the consensus for a good quality 720p/1080p video camera?

Data system?

Video editing software for PC?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

This is 640x480 but they arecomming out with the HD shortly...

www.motorsportscamera.com
Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

isnt VideoVBOX what you're looking for? I just bought it, 2 camera's, 1 HD and one low res for in car. GPS data and other inputs. Plug and play, analysis on Circuit tools software. Works for me I'd say.

http://www.videovbox.co.uk/
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by HJK
isnt VideoVBOX what you're looking for? I just bought it, 2 camera's, 1 HD and one low res for in car. GPS data and other inputs. Plug and play, analysis on Circuit tools software. Works for me I'd say.

What resolution is the HD? 720p? 1080p?
How many frames per second?

Certainly looks interesting.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

The new AIM Smartycam advertises the ability to record HD video, very simple operation with a data overlay and is priced forless than $1k. Has anyone used the new system?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK

Good looking product, but not HD, and once you put in the OLED display, it's pretty expensive.

Aiptek A-HD+ or Aiptek GVS are the way to go for cheap HD quality video. If I wanted something more integrated, I'd go with Traqmate, and get a LANC camera. At least that way the camera would turn on and off with the Traqmate.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
The new AIM Smartycam advertises the ability to record HD video, very simple operation with a data overlay and is priced forless than $1k. Has anyone used the new system?
No it doesn't record HD. Some advertise it as 'near' HD. The quality is quite good though. A bit better than the ChaseCam.

As for the OP. What car is this going into? The SmartyCam once setup could run off of the OBD port on your car for data depending on the car in the list.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
As for the OP. What car is this going into? The SmartyCam once setup could run off of the OBD port on your car for data depending on the car in the list.
996 GT3.

I'm after plug & play HD. I'll wait until it exists.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I feel the same way as CC. Sometimes it all just seems too hard. I currently use a Panasonic Digital Video recorder and just download to PC. Seems like it takes longer and longer to upload to Youtube but that's a separate issue. Seems to lose a fair bit of resolution too but I've heard that the cameras that record directly to hard drive suffer shock turn off on many tracks so I stick with the old mini cassettes.

If one was to upgrade to something modern, with data, and be user friendly, what sort of $$ are we looking at?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
AIM Smartycam
PRO's:
The video off of this unit is cool because it automatically overlays the lap time, speed, gear, rpm, etc on the video. In addition it is all one small unit.

CONS:
No in car lap time information/display, not HD, Not MAC Friendly, No telemetry data downloading, ie. like in a trackmate.

I too am looking for the same type of system you've described. The closest thing is the Trackmate married to the new HD Sony's. However there is a sync that needs to be done separately, and it is all PC software.!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
AIM Smartycam
CONS:
No in car lap time information/display, not HD, Not MAC Friendly, No telemetry data downloading, ie. like in a trackmate.

I too am looking for the same type of system you've described. The closest thing is the Trackmate married to the new HD Sony's. However there is a sync that needs to be done separately, and it is all PC software.!
Although if you already have an AIM dash (the MXL), you would have the display etc.

Quick Reply: Dummyproof integrated HD Video/Data Overlay? Pipedream?