Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dummyproof integrated HD Video/Data Overlay? Pipedream?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Although if you already have an AIM dash (the MXL), you would have the display etc.
Koni had an AIM.. SOLD it.

The GT3 doesn't have anything yet. That is what I'm looking for.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Aiptek A-HD+ or Aiptek GVS are the way to go for cheap HD quality video.
+1. It's really not that hard these days to make it all work. Here are the steps I use after a track day:

1. Download data from AIM Evo4 to laptop
2. Export AIM data into excel format
3. Import excel format into Trackvision
4. Import video from AIPTEK GVS into Trackvision
5. Align video and data
6. Set start and finish markers on video to get rid of excess video
7. Export

The whole process above takes about 10mins now that I've done it a few times. The hardest part is synching the data and video, but even that you figure out a few tricks in no time.

The video turns out fantastic and has really helped expose what I'm doing wrong (ie, my hand positions are terrible!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js39VQaQsdQ
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Total what is that set up $$
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by 007DT
^^^ Total what is that set up $$
AIM EVO4 data system: $1,099 (Circuit Motorsports or Gorman Motorsports)
AIPTEK GVS: $139 (Amazon.com)
SD memory card: $15 (Amazon.com)
Raynox QC505 wide angle lens: $29 (Amazon.com)
External mic: $8 (Amazon.com)
Filmtools Cleat suction mount: $49 (Filmtools.com)
Trackvision software: $199 (Trackvision.net)

Total: $1,538

I'd recommend getting the in-car dash as well since you've got incredible data to work with. The in-car dash is $200. This setup is overkill for video, but if you want to improve your driving, the whole package works really well. It takes 10mins to set everything up in the car.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ for brake and gas info, are you using the port under the dash? I don't know if that's available for the 996 GT3.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by AllanJ
^ for brake and gas info, are you using the port under the dash? I don't know if that's available for the 996 GT3.
Hi Allan, I feel like an AIM cheerleader For your car, AIM recommend two potential connection points. You can either tap into the CAN network through the ECU or through a connector under the dash. Here are the details: http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec....8_102_eng.pdf

Your car's CAN network will provide the following channels:
RPM
Speed
Throttle position (%)
Brake (on/off)
Engine Moment (no idea what this is)
Water temp
Air temp
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
AIM Smartycam
PRO's:
The video off of this unit is cool because it automatically overlays the lap time, speed, gear, rpm, etc on the video. In addition it is all one small unit.

CONS:
No in car lap time information/display, not HD, Not MAC Friendly, No telemetry data downloading, ie. like in a trackmate.

I too am looking for the same type of system you've described. The closest thing is the Trackmate married to the new HD Sony's. However there is a sync that needs to be done separately, and it is all PC software.!
Regarding the cons. The data download is in beta testing right now so it will record a separate data file. It will be done soon according to my last conversation wtih AIM's SmartyCam guru. As for Mac friendly, not much in the data world is. However bootcamp/Windows has been a great combo for both AIM and Traqmate.

Regarding the Traqmate HD. The video output from Traqstudio is not going to be HD. It's in the works but currently it will only do SD.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

This kind of integration of data and video, which Vbox offers would really be the shizitz:

Old 05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

mglobe

another one very much like that is the RaceKeeper system. Companies are just getting to the level of side by side video. Motec has been there for a while AFAIK but only in the last year have the more 'entry' level brands been looking that direction.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out Race Technology Video4 with 1 - 4 camera input (I am at 2)
Have this + Dash 2 + DL1
works for me
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

This kind of integration of data and video, which Vbox offers would really be the shizitz:

I agree.

Now ... for HD.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,616 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I feel the same way as CC. Sometimes it all just seems too hard. I currently use a Panasonic Digital Video recorder and just download to PC. Seems like it takes longer and longer to upload to Youtube but that's a separate issue. Seems to lose a fair bit of resolution too but I've heard that the cameras that record directly to hard drive suffer shock turn off on many tracks so I stick with the old mini cassettes.

If one was to upgrade to something modern, with data, and be user friendly, what sort of $$ are we looking at?
wow, patrick and cc, i guess i am not alone. i have looked and nothing really stands out as plug and play. any you are right. they all seem too hard for what really is just a toy.

oh pls make it native to mac's.
no mac native, no go.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I agree.

Now ... for HD.
Agreed on the HD.

What I really like about this is being able to view the video and all of the graphs at the same time. I suspect folks will chime in and say how useful the data overlay that TrackVision and TraqStudio give, but it doesn't seem like enough to me. I really want to be able to view the video AND the kind of graphs that TraqView gives at the same time. Looks like vBox gives that. But it's not HD, and its expensive.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

What I really like about this is being able to view the video and all of the graphs at the same time. I suspect folks will chime in and say how useful the data overlay that TrackVision and TraqStudio give, but it doesn't seem like enough to me. I really want to be able to view the video AND the kind of graphs that TraqView gives at the same time. Looks like vBox gives that. But it's not HD, and its expensive.
+1

Having the video right next to the graphs would be great. I hope AIM brings that to Racestudio at some point. In order to identify a strange reading on the graphs, I have to watch the video in a separate program and try to match it up, which is indeed a pain.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM
TR6
Drifting

What I really like about this is being able to view the video and all of the graphs at the same time. I suspect folks will chime in and say how useful the data overlay that TrackVision and TraqStudio give, but it doesn't seem like enough to me. I really want to be able to view the video AND the kind of graphs that TraqView gives at the same time.
+2 A video window in the Traqview data software would be ideal. To me, the G-meter and track map, etc, displayed in the Traqvision video is just for entertainment, not for analysis. I want to look at real data (velocity graph and accel/decel graph, etc) in the same screen that I can look at the video. Until Traqmate's Traqvision software can give me that, it's not worth $200 to me.

Traqmate, are you listening?

Quick Reply: Dummyproof integrated HD Video/Data Overlay? Pipedream?