Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifespan of 944 Spec and/or other 944 classes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
GT...
Believe me the fact that some spec series do not allow your LSD is not a reflection of bad product. In fact is reflection of HOW GOOD your product is. It is soo good most guys will want to. Sadly it not a cheap product and there in lies the issue. Cost.. Any spec series needs to manage the cost of prep level with the goals of the class. Limited prep costs are key factor in the sucess of classes and some parts make the cut and others don't. I will flat out tell you that 944 spec should have been an open diff class. However that decisions was made back in 2002 and really cannot be reversed now without major probelms. So that is good for you in that you can sell more LSD units. Since many of the spec boxster founders came from our at least where very aware of the 944 spec class that have used us as an example in this area.

In any event you make a fine LSD unit and should be proud of that!
Yeah. Like I said, we stay out of the politics, even though I understand them. The way I see it, it's exactly as was described above. There's guys out to have fun racing and tracking their car. Then there's guys that are serious about racing and winning, and oftentimes they are willing to spend big money to get there. It puts the guys on a budget at a disadvantage in what are many times created as an opportunity to race cars without going broke. Where that line is drawn is for you guys to determine on your own within each series and class based on what you as a community want. We totally respect that, and it's why you'll never see us lobbying any sanctioning body to allow our products. We were approached by Interseries, and not the other way around.

There is also one other thing I want to mention since I find it's often a misperception about our company. We're a small company owned and run by 3 people. When I say sales of 944 LSDs went up 50% what does that really mean? It means we sold 15 instead of 10 in the last 12 months. 944 spec racing is definitely not what keeps the lights on around here. But being a small operation, we like to support the little guy, and as long as you guys keep running these cars, we'll keep making an LSD for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
gstiper77
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the Southeast, in addition to the PCA racing, we run our 944's in NASA GTS1 and GTS2 where you get a good deal of freedom in setup of the car because classing is power to weight.

At the recent PCA club race, I think we had something like 24 944's competing. Its not going anywhere soon IMO. And it shouldnt take your friend 5 years to get experience enough to race.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think spec944 has a good future....since it also blends well in NASA GTS2....so its guaranteed you will be able to race somewhere.....

My concerns are based on the well known oiling problems in 944-928's...they can be fixed, and lucky for 944's cheaper than in 928's
Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

944 spec cars were the cars to have in GTS1 for 2009 NASA National championships. The 2nd place 944spec car converted to GTS1 trim and won GTS1. (Conversion inclued removing ballast and replacing Toyo with Hoosiers).
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We'll still be around in 5 years, there are so many cars and parts still trickling down. Not exactly sure where 944Cup fits on the pyramid, but I can say from experience that the 944SuperCups are faster than Spec Miata and E30 by a lot, and faster than SpecBox as well. The F class Boxsters are the only ones giving us a run right now, but as Boxsters start to trickle down to the salvage yards and such, they clearly represent the next wave. Tell your "buddie" (sp) that I'd go 944 for 2-3 years, then get a Boxster.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell your "buddie" (sp) that I'd go 944 for 2-3 years, then get a Boxster.
I was thinking the same thing...and thanks for the spell check.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

...and that will be my last race car with a stick shift. Paddles from then on.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
My concerns are based on the well known oiling problems in 944-928's...they can be fixed, and lucky for 944's cheaper than in 928's
They're really not that big of an issue. I've been running the same '84 short block for my 4th season now, and it has never been rebuilt. Just slap in fresh rod bearings, run good oil of the proper weight, and keep it full. Mine came with the factory cross-drilled crank, but I've seen plenty of non-cross-drilled crank 944 engines do just fine with race use if they were taken care of.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

keep the oil a little overfilled in fact.

Quick Reply: Lifespan of 944 Spec and/or other 944 classes.