Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good start to my racing season (Spec Miata)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good start to my racing season (Spec Miata)

Some of you might find this interesting, because until last year, I was a DE junkie that only watched races. But thanks in part to discussions on this forum about moving up from DE's to racing, Spec Miatas, etc, along with my desire for some competition, last year I rented a SM and got my racing license.

This January I bought my own SM for $7K (a used 1990, race ready but not competitive). I spent a few more grand and a lot of time improving the car, and raced it for the 1st time at the SCCA regional opener double this past weekend at Thunderhill. This was my 1st SCCA race without a novice plate on the car, so I was hoping for a top 10 or top 5 finish.

I was pleasantly surprised to qualify on pole for the first race, in front 66 others. I led most of the race, until a lapper took me off the track, causing me to spin & lose 2 spots. The same guy then took me off the track 1 lap later, dropping me to 4th. I recovered 3rd on the last lap.
Here's a video of that race.

For the 2nd race, I qualified 2nd behind Dean Thomas. Qual for this race was in the dry, but the race was fully wet. I was a bit nervous because I've never raced a car in the rain. I took the lead at the start and took off. Dave Vodden was on my bumper for a few laps and then passed me. I followed him & learned for a while, with a big gap over 3rd. Toward the end I caught Vodden and he started making mistakes. We traded the lead a couple times and then he spun out, handing me a 10 second lead. I won! Can't hardly believe it! Unfortuneatley, my video shut off on the 2nd lap of that race.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

WOW.. Great video, you drive the **** out of that car. At times it is hard to believe it is a spec race as to how you caught some of those cars... I can't believe that same driver sent you off the track twice.... I thought I heard you yelling, but I didn't see any hand gestures..

Congrats on the win too!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

damn good drive man, congrats!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

darin, great race. aint easy to out qualify dean!!!

the white car that took you out 2x wasn't even looking. i would have punted him into the tires at esses for sure, you are driving spec pinata right?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Darin
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turns out you have an excellent Miata!!!!

I'm leaning more and more towards SM's too...but lemons sure is fun!!

Also what was your lap time to get the pole?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Darin
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turns out you have an excellent Miata!!!!

I'm leaning more and more towards SM's too...but lemons sure is fun!!

Also what was your lap time to get the pole?
nah, his car is ****ty. it's the driver!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,598 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Some of you might find this interesting, because until last year, I was a DE junkie that only watched races. But thanks in part to discussions on this forum about moving up from DE's to racing, Spec Miatas, etc, along with my desire for some competition, last year I rented a SM and got my racing license.

This January I bought my own SM for $7K (a used 1990, race ready but not competitive). I spent a few more grand and a lot of time improving the car, and raced it for the 1st time at the SCCA regional opener double this past weekend at Thunderhill. This was my 1st SCCA race without a novice plate on the car, so I was hoping for a top 10 or top 5 finish.

I was pleasantly surprised to qualify on pole for the first race, in front 66 others. I led most of the race, until a lapper took me off the track, causing me to spin & lose 2 spots. The same guy then took me off the track 1 lap later, dropping me to 4th. I recovered 3rd on the last lap.
Here's a video of that race.

For the 2nd race, I qualified 2nd behind Dean Thomas. Qual for this race was in the dry, but the race was fully wet. I was a bit nervous because I've never raced a car in the rain. I took the lead at the start and took off. Dave Vodden was on my bumper for a few laps and then passed me. I followed him & learned for a while, with a big gap over 3rd. Toward the end I caught Vodden and he started making mistakes. We traded the lead a couple times and then he spun out, handing me a 10 second lead. I won! Can't hardly believe it! Unfortuneatley, my video shut off on the 2nd lap of that race.
Well done, dude. Congrats!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a pretty good first outing. Solid driving.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the awesome debut! Really enjoyed that video!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great droving! At what times in the video do you get taken off track?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I just finished watching the whole video....damm is Darin flying around the track.....I've driven Thunderhill quite a bit, occasionally in an SM...but NEVER-ever at speeds like that in the corners...WOW...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Great driving! Dang, finishing ahead of or in the mix with Dean is indeed impressive.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic! I suck driving my SM. Best I've ever done is a mid 2:09. Dean gave me some data, and it was actually Laura's laps on the full track that I've traced. I'm basically 2mph slower at every single _______ point on the track compared to her............
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice!

Now you are screwed. Welcome to the steeper part of the slope!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Great drive. Good job keeping your cool, both times. Those guys are being lapped for a reason.

Quick Reply: Good start to my racing season (Spec Miata)