Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good start to my racing season (Spec Miata)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was fun to watch. Well done.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
dp35
Pro

Sounds like several of you know Dean Thomas. Let me share some impressive info about him.

Dean the driver - the rest of us drove a full test day, race practice, qual, & the 1st race, while Dean drove his new V8 Miata during testing, then watched his wife Laura drive their SM. Saturday afternoon's qualifying for Sunday's race were the 1st laps Dean drove the SM. On his first flying lap, Dean did a lap 0.5 seconds faster than anyone else did all weekend, then did several other laps we couldn't match. Stud!

Dean the person - he's been extremely helpful to me from the very beginning of this process, more so than anyone else. What really impressed me was that even when I qualified next to him on the front row for Sunday's race, he was the same nice & helpful guy that I could ask anything and not wonder if he was intentionally leading me down the wrong path. After I won the race, he was genuinely happy for me. Very cool.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Some of you might find this interesting, because until last year, I was a DE junkie that only watched races. But thanks in part to discussions on this forum about moving up from DE's to racing, Spec Miatas, etc, along with my desire for some competition, last year I rented a SM and got my racing license.

This January I bought my own SM for $7K (a used 1990, race ready but not competitive). I spent a few more grand and a lot of time improving the car, and raced it for the 1st time at the SCCA regional opener double this past weekend at Thunderhill. This was my 1st SCCA race without a novice plate on the car, so I was hoping for a top 10 or top 5 finish.

I was pleasantly surprised to qualify on pole for the first race, in front 66 others. I led most of the race, until a lapper took me off the track, causing me to spin & lose 2 spots. The same guy then took me off the track 1 lap later, dropping me to 4th. I recovered 3rd on the last lap.
Here's a video of that race.

For the 2nd race, I qualified 2nd behind Dean Thomas. Qual for this race was in the dry, but the race was fully wet. I was a bit nervous because I've never raced a car in the rain. I took the lead at the start and took off. Dave Vodden was on my bumper for a few laps and then passed me. I followed him & learned for a while, with a big gap over 3rd. Toward the end I caught Vodden and he started making mistakes. We traded the lead a couple times and then he spun out, handing me a 10 second lead. I won! Can't hardly believe it! Unfortuneatley, my video shut off on the 2nd lap of that race.

a Pole on the 1st race EVER! in SM no less! dude!!!

- Even more impressive if they had a post race, inspection
Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I was intrigued by the white sticker you had on the steering wheel showing what looked like on center. Any benefits of why that was done?

Nice video and congrats.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Impressive results; nice job!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Sounds like several of you know Dean Thomas. Let me share some impressive info about him.

Dean the driver - the rest of us drove a full test day, race practice, qual, & the 1st race, while Dean drove his new V8 Miata during testing, then watched his wife Laura drive their SM. Saturday afternoon's qualifying for Sunday's race were the 1st laps Dean drove the SM. On his first flying lap, Dean did a lap 0.5 seconds faster than anyone else did all weekend, then did several other laps we couldn't match. Stud!

Dean the person - he's been extremely helpful to me from the very beginning of this process, more so than anyone else. What really impressed me was that even when I qualified next to him on the front row for Sunday's race, he was the same nice & helpful guy that I could ask anything and not wonder if he was intentionally leading me down the wrong path. After I won the race, he was genuinely happy for me. Very cool.
Darin is 100% right about Dean......an honestly great guy.....I've raced with him in lemons for two races (different teams but same pit) and he is always VERY helpful.....

As for a "driver"....when we were 1st testing the 928 Estate at Thunderhill...the best I could muster was a high 2:19.....Dean was turning mid 2:16's in the V8olvo.....jumps in the 928 with NO BRAKES (pads were 1/8th inch or less and STREET pads) and rips off a 2:15 on his 1st flying lap...then gets down to a 2:14 flat..... Since then I've found nearly 2 seconds in the car....I'd bet Dean could pull a 2:11... and this is in lemons trim with STREET tires...

There is a reason why Dean was 2nd at SM Nasa Nationals in 2009!!! Which was ahead of a certain Miata driver named TODD LAMB

Quick Reply: Good start to my racing season (Spec Miata)