Sponsored by:

Switching to Pagid Yellow (?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Switching to Pagid Yellow (?)

Planning to switch to Pagid Yellow and see if I can live with the squeal for relatively limited use on the street. Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. Can these be sucessfully bedded in with a used set of rotors (previously using stock Textar/Jurid/Pagid compounds).

2. In terms of corrosiveness, how bad (or not) will this be for my wheels and paint, compared to stock compunds.

Any other thoughts/recommnedations?

Best,

Matt
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only downside I have ever found with the yellows is cost. Otherwise, they are quieter than blacks or oranges, they last longer (they are an endurance pad), they have good cold grip, great hot grip, and they are not particularly abusive to rotors, wheels, or bodywork. The dust washes off pretty easily. I use them on my street/track/DE 911SC wth no issues, and I have been using them for three seasons now.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure about whether I am an outlier, but i've had a few sets of RS14s and RS19s that have gotten crumbly along the leading edge of the pad, from what I perceived to be use on the street (particularly in wet conditions).
Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt,

1. Yes they can be bedded with used rotors - I scrub the used rotors with Hawk Blues first then go to the Pagid Yellows and follow the bedding process.

2. Not sure about this one as I swap to stock pads for street use.

-Skip
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've run many sets of Yellows on 997.1 C2S, 997.1 GT3, and 997.2 C2S. Squeal like a school bus on the street no matter what you do. I can only stand the trip home and then have to swap out before I'll drive the car on the street. That's just the nature of track pads.

No issues going back / forth between stock and Yellow.

The dust is pretty nasty, meaning as soon as you get back from the track, clean everything thoroughly. The build-up of dust in the rotor holes is a royal pain - I use a compressor to blow out the holes before I'll wash the car / wheels.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Matt, I use Pagid Rs 29s on my car. For some reason I have had no squeal on my 996GT3, nor Louise' 996GT3 and the same again on our 997RS Mk I's. Are we just lucky?

Pagids are compatible with other compounds, unlike some other makes. So there is no problem going from streets to Pagid Yellows.

The brake dust is no more corrosive than street pads. I think people make a big deal about it. On my cars car wash soap and a car wash brush takes the brake dust off with no effort. This applies to both the Pagids and the OEM street pads.

Regards,
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Not sure about whether I am an outlier, but i've had a few sets of RS14s and RS19s that have gotten crumbly along the leading edge of the pad, from what I perceived to be use on the street (particularly in wet conditions).
I have also had some padigs crumble.
https://rennlist.com/forums/6381169-post26.html

-td
Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
There are almost no track pads that like water, it is highly recommended to never put them away wet, dry by driving or pull the pads and dry them out of the car
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Very good input.

I just have to be lucky like Bob. Or maybe just be like Bob. I am half way there with my avatar..

Interesting, Bill, on keeping the pads dry as possible. Can't hurt!

For best sources, Craig at Rennstore? Others?

Best,

Matt
Old 04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

PM me Matt They are available locally.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys up north must get better RS29s than we do in the Northeast. Wait a second, if we are the Northeast, you guys must be the Extreme Northeast... The only "yellow" pads that didn't squeal like a freight train's brakes were the stock yellow painted sport pads that came on my GT3. I've tried them all. Pagid Sport / 4-2-1, Blue, Orange (glazed me up but good), Black, and Yellow. Least squeal was Sport / 4-2-1, most squeal was Yellow.

I didn't mean to suggest that I had corrosion issues with the dust, just that after a hard day at the track, the rotor holes are plugged with dust and it's a bear to get it all out and clean.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Ron, I use a power washer after a track weekend. It clears the holes. If you let the dust build up for weeks then it takes a bloody drill!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Ron, I use a power washer after a track weekend. It clears the holes. If you let the dust build up for weeks then it takes a bloody drill!
I use a compressor a long wand and a respirator in an open area after each outing.

flush w/ a hose, then drive dry.

It keeps them(RS19s) clean and reduces squeel by a lot

I also use them for street use, though not dd duty
Old 04-10-2010, 02:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I store my pads in a sealed plastic bag. The humidity here in Florida is nasty, especially in my garage. I never flush the Yellows with water. I do flush the the rotors and calipers with the stock pads in with water when I wash the car.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Newbie follow-on question: I've been running stock 993 OE pads for street and track (about 12 DE days per year), and I get about 1 summer from the front pads.

With a track pad, what longevity would you expect (all things equal), for both the pads and the rotors (accounting for the increased friction/wear)?

Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: Switching to Pagid Yellow (?)