Sponsored by:

LSD options for 996 C2 and tracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD options for 996 C2 and tracking

cross post from the 996 forum but figured i should have really posted in here.
looking to set up a C2 to use mostly as a fun car for DEs and weekend driving. im nearly there with it but want to get an LSD in there, the idea of tracking without one doesnt fill me with enthusiasm.
anyone gone down this path and care to share any advice.

as far as i can see it my options are:
M220 retrofit
Quaife ATB type
Guard Transmissions LSD

as things stand the M220 is a 22/40% split according to the scant info i could find so doesnt seem especially positive. can these be rebuilt or respec'd to use motorsport type clutch plates or do they use a special, all to themselves setup and so i'll be stuck with this forever.

quaife ATB offers a very cost effective solution but tbh im not keen to get on a track with hard suspension and one of these in. no action when braking doesnt seem too clever either with a rwd car.

Guard Transmission would be first port of call but i cant see that they make an option for the G96 box in the C2 though with their site under construction its hard to see.

for those who also didnt want to stick with the open diff what route did you go down?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea, LSD's transform these cars. I'd spend money on a good diff before suspension. I think it's that important to a 911 based P-car....

So, Guard does make their GT unit for these tranny's, IIRC it's their 993 diff. I have one in my 996 now and swear by it. I couldn't imaging trying to brake from 160 or so without one which is exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow at Cal Speedway. You can also use a GT3 cup diff for about the same price.

Alternatives are the Kaaz diff and the Giken diff, both are about $800. cheaper than the Guard. I had the Kaaz in a 2.7 Boxster I built and it worked just fine. I only ran if for a few months before I went to the 996 so I don't know about it's longevity. Guard of course has many advocates here on RL....
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
outline
Racer

thanks for the info. guard would be my preferred choice too from past experience.
thats intertesting ref the options. does that mean the diff for the C2 box is the same as the ones used for the GT3 etc? if so this opens things up greatly both for purchasing options but also for configuring and rebuilding in the future.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

If you ever think you might want to race this car or if your resale target market will be racers, I suggest you study the rules/classes carefully regarding LSDs prior to purchase/install.

You could channel Timothy Leary.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
outline
Racer

thanks for the info....
this is hopefully going to just be an outlet for my own indulgence and ive squared the fact that after im done no one will want it but me

Quick Reply: LSD options for 996 C2 and tracking