Sponsored by:

Race Car Livery 917K

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Car Livery 917K

I am thinking of painting my race car in either the Martini Hippie or the Martini Yellow. Does anyone know the exact colours, or paint codes that was originally used. I am thinking of painting the car in the base colour of either violet or yellow and use vinyl for the swirls.
Attached Images    
Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Napleton Porsche in Westmont IL. They have been replicating the old liveries so Im sure they know the colors
Old 04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

look around and you can find pics of 997 cups and a Cayman with the same color scheme, looks good when done right
Old 04-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

I have searched through my Porsche motorsport books on the prototypes and the 917s and no mention of exact colour codes. Interestingly, I was surprised to find that it wasn't Tony Lapine who created the Hippie design. I have also googled trying to find the accurate colour. I have found references to purple, iris blue, violet, green, light green, but nothing definitive. The Cayman interseries Hippie used vinyl on a white body, not quite the same thing. I will contact Napleton, perhaps their bodyshop guy might know.

Would Porsche have used factory colours from that era? For example, the yellow martini being signal yellow with gaurds red swirls? Is the violet colour similar to aubergine? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelly Moss has a painted hippie 996 cup car in Wisconson for sale and they said the custom paint job was $15K. My friend is the owner of the Hippie Cayman and the wrap cost over $7K. I've seen both cars in person and they look great. But for me that cash buys a lot of Hoosiers.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I think you should just do the Pig car
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snow Lion
Would Porsche have used factory colours from that era? For example, the yellow martini being signal yellow with gaurds red swirls? Is the violet colour similar to aubergine? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
By the way, you can see the Hippie #3 917 on display at the Simeone Museum in Philly:

http://www.simeonefoundation.org/
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spare tire
Kelly Moss has a painted hippie 996 cup car in Wisconson for sale and they said the custom paint job was $15K. My friend is the owner of the Hippie Cayman and the wrap cost over $7K. I've seen both cars in person and they look great. But for me that cash buys a lot of Hoosiers.
I hear you on the costs! The car has been stripped and is on a rotisserie. I have been working on the chassis all winter and will be ready for paint soon. My daughter's favourite colour is purple and the hippie design is really appropriate. The original colour was signal yellow. Thus the question about using factory production colours. Doing a solid colour with vinyl swirls should greatly reduce the costs from a custom paint job.

I am doing as much of the work on the car myself so I can save for more Hoosiers and driver coaching!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Tenzin,

Mine is yellow paint with the graphics on vinyl. Vinyl gets expensive quickly....

Cheers! Juan
Old 04-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Hey Juan!
Next time you are not looking, I am going to get some onion skin paper and trace your car! I bet your kids love the colours of your car. Will you be back at WGI with HSR?

If no one knows the paint codes, I might just take a trek out to the Simeone Museum and bring some paint chips with me.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

some pics of the yellow and purple hippy Caymans:

http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...=691&Itemid=85

Quick Reply: Race Car Livery 917K