Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEC BOXSTER Rental at Watkins Glen Race

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, come on and sign up, it will be a blast !
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Someone needs to rent the car...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,

Don't temp me My own car should be ready by then. There is a whole lot of progress recently so things are looking up.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Posted down on the specbox website thread but looks like more activity here: I'm seeing a bunch of 911 guys jump ship to go specbox, so what was the motivation and how has it worked out? most of you have nice 911 racecars do you miss anything?

I went to 944spec for what I'm guessing is alot of the same reasons, lower cost, better driver to driver competition, not to mention a great group to race with, but the lack of power and a 25 year old chassis does make specbox look pretty attractive... There's a growing group of 911s in my area but many jump the oldercars and are running 996/7 r's or cups, which thins out the older 911 field. It seems like the newer cars are thought of as more "disposable" than early cars... I need three track cars like a hole in the head but it looks like a fun build...vs the step into a cup...

Also if you can get a cap on the crate vs. blueprint motor scenario, or limit by dyno results as NASA does, this could be really attractive, If the unlimted $$$ rebuilds start up this could get pricey pretty fast and loose the attraction of a true spec series...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Paul:
You still have 5 weeks so it looks like you will be set with your car. I hope you score and show up with your car. The Spec Box is a fun car.

JRichard, I am one of those guys on the fence. My F class car isn't prepared to the hilt due to budget constraints and the fact that I already have way more in it than I would get out of it which makes a Spec class car more and more attractive. You are right, an arms race in the motors will not be a good thing for the class. Like many others here, I support allowing what appear to be the fixes that address the known weaknesses in the M96 motors, but don't want to see a checkbook battle ensue.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I am making progress Paul and Scott, I picked up the caged car today and I am registered for a DE @ NJMP as a shake down at the end of next week. I mailed in copies of my SCCA National Comp license and medical to the PCA for their consideration, movement equals progress - correct . As I was loading up the car today, there was the heavenly howling sound coming from the open garage a few doors down and after 10 minutes of revving I could not take it any more and wandered down to find this strapped to the engine dyno.

It was both strange and hypnotic listening to it go up and down the RPM range.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1271902082

Last edited by syncspeedinc; 07-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
I am making progress Paul and Scott, I picked up the caged car today and I am registered for a DE @ NJMP as a shake down at the end of next week. I mailed in copies of my SCCA National Comp license and medical to the PCA for their consideration, movement equals progress - correct . As I was loading up the car today, there was the heavenly howling sound coming from the open garage a few doors down and after 10 minutes of revving I could not take it any more and wandered down to find this strapped to the engine dyno.

It was both strange and hypnotic listening to it go up and down the RPM range.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1271902082
Hey thats my "blueprinted" motor Ive been waiting for
Old 04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Originally Posted by J richard
Posted down on the specbox website thread but looks like more activity here: I'm seeing a bunch of 911 guys jump ship to go specbox, so what was the motivation and how has it worked out? most of you have nice 911 racecars do you miss anything?

I went to 944spec for what I'm guessing is alot of the same reasons, lower cost, better driver to driver competition, not to mention a great group to race with, but the lack of power and a 25 year old chassis does make specbox look pretty attractive... There's a growing group of 911s in my area but many jump the oldercars and are running 996/7 r's or cups, which thins out the older 911 field. It seems like the newer cars are thought of as more "disposable" than early cars... I need three track cars like a hole in the head but it looks like a fun build...vs the step into a cup...

Also if you can get a cap on the crate vs. blueprint motor scenario, or limit by dyno results as NASA does, this could be really attractive, If the unlimted $$$ rebuilds start up this could get pricey pretty fast and loose the attraction of a true spec series...
J Richard, or anyone else for that matter, I have a VERY nice Arctic White '99 Boxster with 68K miles on it that would make a perfect Spec car. The car has a lot of nice options including perfect full leather interior, full factory carbon fiber kit, and those nice (lite) 17' basket wheels. Im asking $9K for it. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Tim
Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Andy,
The Spec Boxster is still available for the Watkins Glen race. Have you friend give me a call. How did Limerock turn out?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
ajenks144
Instructor

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Andy,
The Spec Boxster is still available for the Watkins Glen race. Have you friend give me a call. How did Limerock turn out?
Thanks. I sent him your info.

Lime Rock was great. Charlie and Mike I kicked my ***, but I think I had the 3rd fast time of the weekend. I'll get them at the Glen.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

How many SpBox were @ the Lime Rock event?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
ajenks144
Instructor

Originally Posted by syncspeedinc
How many SpBox were @ the Lime Rock event?
7 SPBOX and about 7 Boxsters that ran in F class.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Talking

Fourteen grown men driving their wife's cars around. Were you also wearing tights with leggings around the pits also? Good job!

Got his email, I will call him tonight. That Spec Boxster is also for sale if he wants it.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajenks144
I'll get them at the Glen.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Are there any other Spec Boxster drivers that are on the fence about going to The Glen??? It would be great to get 10+ there.

I undertsand that the Werkstatt car is still available if anyone's interested. Its at least as fast as Mike I.'s car...

Quick Reply: SPEC BOXSTER Rental at Watkins Glen Race