Sponsored by:

PSM......On or Off?.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
As long as you don't over drive the car, the PSM will not engage. I think the only time I had a real PSM moment was in my old 997 C4S on my first track day where it truly stopped a spin in progress.

The instructors at PSDS can do some pretty impressive hot laps without any PSM intervention. Since the 997, I think PSM has been very unobtrusive.

Of course people will debate the sh*t out of this!
As you said, the PSDS instructors do a fine job with PSM ON. They actually disarm the button so the students cannot turn it OFF in their own. When asked why they do this the response was, "the system is designed to interfere AFTER the driver has taken the car beyond the limits of driving physics, why turn it off?"
The masters session teaches slip angle and throttle steering, all with the PSM on.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

In the lastest version on PSM, if you drive the car smoothly and correctly PSM will not interfear. PSM with Sport Chrono PLUS will allow you to slip the car around. There is absolutly no need to turn PSM off in the latest Porsche's.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by quickxotica
OFF. You want car to rotate. PSM wants car staying straight. Conflict equals some wasted energy, frustrated driver and hot rear brakes.
In your 996 yes PSM was much more constricting but the the latest version PSM will allow you to rotate the car especially if you are in Sport Chrono Plus mode.

PSM is not the same as it use to be.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Paolo, i saw you drive your race car very competently at NJMP back in the fall of 2009. If i am not mistaken, you podiumed in the enduro.

First, I assume that are you going to the DE to re-acquaint yourself with LRP and not to go drive perfect lines with your street car.

In this case I would first do a couple of laps with the PSM just to see what happens (so you write about it to inform those who are curious) and then turn the system off so you can have fun with your car with street tires. Get to practice throttle steering in big bend and the left hander (without taking the risks associated with walling your car).

See you at the Glen and enjoy Rome with your son while we have fun at the LRP club race.
Fred, like you and others have stated, I will probably do the first session with the nannie on, then shut it off in the second session and compare and contrast.....

Thanks for the input and good luck at the LRP race, make sure you capture everything on video.....

I will drink an extra bottle of Barolo in yours and the D boys honor.....
Originally Posted by DrJupeman
No one plans to put their car into a wall.
Yes... but some racers really, really, really push the envelope beyond realistic expectations.......
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Paolo - just bring the 911 down and be done with it.
Actually........I want reacquaint myself with a modern car again.......

Maybe it will make me look like a better driver..........

Come on down Friday afternoon, we'll catch up.......
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Come on down Friday afternoon, we'll catch up.......
That's my plan...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
In the lastest version on PSM, if you drive the car smoothly and correctly PSM will not interfear. PSM with Sport Chrono PLUS will allow you to slip the car around. There is absolutly no need to turn PSM off in the latest Porsche's.
absolutely NOT TRUE. Driving at 9-9.5/10ths might get you very fast, smooth and no PSM intervention. But that is NOT driving at the limit for the fastest posible lap time. Also, driving AT the Limit involves going BEYOND the limit and bringing it back with minor corrections without loosing speed.

from my own real track/race experience (on 997 and 987) PSM ALWAYS intervenes and slows you down under agressive trailbraking and most importantly on corner exit. And the higher the power of the car (GT2 for example) the more drastical this intervention is (analyzing telemetry on corner exit it halves temporarily the power to the wheels on a 80mph corner)

To drive at the limit the car (tires) need to be moving/sliding around you; and I would say this slip angles can (and need to) be greater with street tires to achieve the fastest lap times. (just watch the videos of the really fast drivers/racers)

If you just want to drive fastish laps and learn the racing line, then sure go ahead and keep PSM On. If you want to learn how to drive and understand how your car behaves at the limit you need to turn PSM off.

However there are SM/ TC systems in other car that do focus on maximizing performance for fastest lap times (allowing to fine tune limit of slip angle with surface conditions); for example the TC on later Lotus and the Manettino on F-Cars, but PSM is far from that (it is a safety device mostly).

Also, I've seen big crashes and people stuffing P-Cars on the wall still with PSM-On. Physics still apply.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Got to ask yourself why does the 996 GT2 not have PSM and the 997 GT2 can be fully turned off without interfering with the ABS.

bottom line PSM is not track friendly.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Post event report......

If anyone really cares to know.........it was a great event.......

1) Stock everything with 4 year old street PS2 and pagid orange pads.......I am sure I could have driven it harder, but it is my garage queen and I am happy to report I drove her home in 1 piece........

2) The Cayman S is a very balanced, great poised car and would make a novice look like a decent driver....... I can see why they are becoming more popular in Club Racing.....

3) The PSM did kick in a couple of areas and felt a bit restrictive especially in the esses and uphill......

4) With the PSM off the car was almost 2 seconds faster....... not that important in a DE..... but an eternity in a race......why can't the PSM be permanently be shut off?

5) I did miss driving my good old race prepped 911, call it macho, but I love muscling around an older car like you would a true purebred.......

Here is a video of a lap without PSM, you got to love the little "wiggle dance" at the top of the uphill.......

Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

I care.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

Default PSM

My experience is almost entirely AX, but here is my $0.02.

Until I have some level of knowledge of a student, ON.

During a run, ON or OFF. I had a student realize that it was ON during a run, got distracted turning it OFF and we ended up way off line. It is now part of my standard briefing.

tim
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

You can turn PSM off but it is still not fully off and will flash the PSM light on the gauge if you get the car out of line too much.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
No one plans to put their car into a wall.
Except in Vanishing Point.

Quick Reply: PSM......On or Off?.......