Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire width vs performance???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Tire temps are also VERY important.....when I 1st bought the "widow" with its MASSIVE tires 295 fronts 335 rears in 2900lbs @ 300whp no matter how hard to pushed (at the time I still was quite a novice) I could BARELY get them to 140F in the pits.....

I have not taken tire temps on the dunlop street tires we run....but I am sure they get plenty warm...but not too the point they "go away" either...or at least not that I noticed?

It turns out I can race in NASA with the automatic...so its an easy fit for GTS2 class....

Looking at the results from NASA Infineon March 20-21 the GTS2 winner was on the pole at 1:57.1 and the Spec E30 was 1:58.5....since I ran a 2:08.16 in lemons trim my 1st time there on a partially wet track....I think 10 seconds faster is possible....which would be in the middle of the GTS2 field.... going back to the Feb event in the RAIN...the times were at 2:03.04 for the winner in GTS2... Going back to Thunderhill in August on the bypass they are running 2:08 in E30 and 2:11 for GTS2....I run 2:18's right now over the top....on R comps it would be 2:10 or better there....
Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Why do you say that and what do you mean?

That is way too general and in most cases completely untrue.

Ive done this from 225s to 305s, as well as others and have not changed alignment with benificial results in all areas, including treadwear.
If you jumped from 225s to 305s and you claim an improvement in treadwear, then obviously your alignment was not optimal for 225s to begin with.

It's simple mechanical physics Mark. I don't see how you could argue otherwise. I can understand if you have not noticed a significant difference in your experience, but that doesn't change the fact that when you put a wider tire, it changes the geometry of how the car rests on the ground and how the tires lay under heavy cornering. Maybe our racing level does not warrant F1 levels of **** alignments, but the theory is indisputable.

Quick Reply: tire width vs performance???