Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here have laser eye surgery? Happy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Lasik, both eyes, 2003. I can see through walls. And mens' clothes.
Fixed.

PS-Your check is in the mail, it'll bounce like a rubber ball though.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have astigmatism so it's more difficult to correct with Lasik. Dr recommended mono vision, so to try it he hooked me up with 2 sets of contact lens. One set corrected the left eye for distance and the right for reading and the other vis versa. Neither way worked for me. One eye must be subordinate to the other. Neither of mine would submit.
I wear glasses with Shamir Autograph lenses. Unbelievable. Large corridors. Better than 20/20 for all distances. Sunglasses are a problem when driving with tinted windows because the lenses don't transition.
I drive with non transition lens. I bought a pair of Wiley X goggles for driving but haven't figured out how to keep them from fogging.

I suggest you try the mono with temp contacts before taking the plunge. Lasik is permanent.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Fixed.

PS-Your check is in the mail, it'll bounce like a rubber ball though.
Wishful thinking again, TARP-boy?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

My corneas were too thin to do the lasik flap so they went with the surface ablasion, recovery was longer than the get up and go the next day of the lasik, took about a week to get back to normal, (the GF got up the next day and was done) but vision is better than 20/20. Weird thing is I never really minded wearing glasses but now the reading glasses is a bit of a pain, also I have prescription shop glasses, makes things much easier. It really helped peripheral vision which is what I was worried about for flying, helped for catching the mirrors as well...

As I was getting it done I asked a client of mine, optical scientist (that invented the machines) what he thought, he said wait a little bit and get the cornea implants, way less risk of getting it wrong and they can fix just about any optical issue with one lense. Still way more pricey, and since you can always get an implant later I figured go with the current state of the art, but thats where things are going.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got mine done in 1998. Before: couldn't read the big E. After: 20/15 in both eyes. 12 years later at 51, no long-term negatives, and thankfully haven't needed reading glasses yet.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J richard
As I was getting it done I asked a client of mine, optical scientist (that invented the machines) what he thought, he said wait a little bit and get the cornea implants, way less risk of getting it wrong and they can fix just about any optical issue with one lense. Still way more pricey, and since you can always get an implant later I figured go with the current state of the art, but thats where things are going.
I also have thin corneas and was not a good candidate for Lasik. There is another procedure called Phakic Intraoccular Lens. Basically they insert a contact lens in your eye, behind the iris but in front of the eye lens. They don't touch the eye lens as in a cataract operation. The procedure is reversible unlike lasik. I am considering this procedure, anyone have any input?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Lasik, both eyes, 2003. I can see through walls. And womens' clothes.

LMAO...

No wonder why you kept looking at my wife.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

November 1997 still seeing 20/15. Best money I ever spent without a doubt.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
LMAO...

No wonder why you kept looking at my wife.

Hahahahaha! BUSTed....

Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow Lion
I also have thin corneas and was not a good candidate for Lasik. There is another procedure called Phakic Intraoccular Lens. Basically they insert a contact lens in your eye, behind the iris but in front of the eye lens. They don't touch the eye lens as in a cataract operation. The procedure is reversible unlike lasik. I am considering this procedure, anyone have any input?
Yup that's the way things are going. Better that there's no messing around with the surface of your eye or the scar tissue from the flap. Since they don't touch the cornea there's no risk of halo which is the only complaint I have. I get a little halo from bright points of light at night, the other issue is dry eye, but drops are easy fix. The other nice thing about the lenses is the potential for getting the optics wrong is nil and you can do it again if things change. Thin cornea or astigmatism is a non issue as well.

But I think I'd pm VR and find out who his doc was, that might be a nice option, unless you needed to visit your grandmas house....eauwwww!!!!! My eyes!!! My eyes!!!....
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Yup that's the way things are going. Better that there's no messing around with the surface of your eye or the scar tissue from the flap. Since they don't touch the cornea there's no risk of halo which is the only complaint I have. I get a little halo from bright points of light at night, the other issue is dry eye, but drops are easy fix. The other nice thing about the lenses is the potential for getting the optics wrong is nil and you can do it again if things change. Thin cornea or astigmatism is a non issue as well.

But I think I'd pm VR and find out who his doc was, that might be a nice option, unless you needed to visit your grandmas house....eauwwww!!!!! My eyes!!! My eyes!!!....
Can you get one eye that sees through clothes and one that does not? That and an eye patch would be ideal.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Look at the FACE! The FACE!!!!!

My doc was Dr. Beeper. His partner, Dr. Jellyfinger, did ervtx.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM
sig_a
Pro

Had it done 6 years ago for distance vision since I shoot skeet. Very satisfied with results, but downside is now reading glasses.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did monovision. The choice was either that or do both for distance and not be able to read a restaurant menu with reading glasses, so I went with monovision. Similar to what Globe describes. Is it perfect? No. But it's close enough that I'm happy. I can read fine print with no glasses and in most situations, I can see distance outdoors just fine. Night time is different for some reason. I use glasses for driving at night, but I don't need them to watch a movie or TV for example. I use corrective sunglasses on the track just to be ultra safe, but I've driven on the track with no lenses and it's fine too.

Again, night time driving is the biggest issue for me. No halo effect. It's just that highway signs in the distance are hard to focus on at night. Another place I've experienced trouble is in the "inbetween" distance, such as standing up looking at a computer monitor over someone's shoulder. It is just far enough away that my close-up eye can't focus on it, but not far enough away for my distance eye.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look at the FACE! The FACE!!!!!

My doc was Dr. Deeper. His partner, Dr. Jellyfinger, did ervtx.

Wasn't their marketing slogan...
Deeper~Jellyfinger - We'll treat you with 20/20 hindsight"?

Quick Reply: Anyone here have laser eye surgery? Happy?