Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here have laser eye surgery? Happy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it's good... it's very good; and when it's bad it's (effects can be) horrid...
Based on dealing with patients / colleagues who have had various procedures.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll consider it when the Doctors performing it are not wearing glasses.....
I wear Night & day contacts- I can wear them/sleep with them for up to 30 days a pair. I never need to take them out which is awesome. There is always something newer around the corner. I have a few friends that are not happy at all with their Lasik.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have natural monovision.

Had problems with contact lenses before I tried the type that is left in for 30 days. One day lenses always dry out after a few minutes of track time while the type I am using now is issue free. The type is called "night and day lenses" and I highly recommend them.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Had it done 3-4 years ago. Best thing I ever did except I'm starting to need reading glasses... Thinking about going back for the monovision thing but I'll wait until I absolutely need reading glasses (now just for convenience). I'm 20/10 now and no side-effects. Only wish I would have done it sooner... Oddly, the reduced weight from the glasses in the car hasn't helped my driving times...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Done in 2000. A little bit of starring on lights at night, but no worse than dry contact eyes at night. I would not change my decision at all and love no contacts or glasses.

Skip
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Thinking about getting lasik. The doctor that gave me a consultation wanted $6k.

After the consultation I have more questions than before. I'm under 30 but do a lot of work in front of a computer. My near sight is more important than my far sight 90% of the time. I'd also hate to decrease my night vision.

I've talked to a lot of people who LOVED their lasik procedure, but I'm just not sure yet.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lasik both eyes, 2003 but I can't see through walls or women's clothes so I'm going back for a re-do.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

My (best) eye was 20/40 up until 4 days ago when I had lasik on both eyes. Now they're both 20/15 .. wish I had done it sooner. Haven't tried driving on track since the procedure, but I'm hoping it made me faster.

The only advice I have is take the valium when they offer it. :-)

-mike
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Had mine done in 1997. Was like 20/200 in both eyes. Now I still have 20/15 in both eyes. At the time the doc said if I was going to need reading glasses eventually, this would not help or stave that off. Currently at 46, I notice trying to read close up in not so good lighting is becoming more difficult. Had a hell of a time making out the numbers on my AMB transponder in my semi-lit garage the other day. I will tell anyone, LASIK was the best money I ever spent.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

My wife had hers done in the mid '90s and she was coke bottle glasses before. I was amazed the next morning when she was able to read the tiny print on the paper that came with the eye drops they gave her. She does need reading glasses in certain light now but all in all she is very happy with the result. I watched it on a TV screen and it freaked me out when the cut the lens on her eyeball, nobody warned me that was coming. I have had 20/10 most of my life but it's starting to slip now that I hit 50.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm with RonCT.. My doctor doesn't wear them.. That tells me all I need to know.

My ex-wife had it years ago. She was blind as a bat before and walked out of the surgery saying "oh my god".. But she had to go back 4 times in the last 12 years to have tweaks. She is helpless without reading glasses.

My correction isn't major, but it has also changed over the last 40 years from mild - > stronger - >and then milder again. Your eyes DO change with age.

As I knock on the laughing doors of 59, my correction is less than it was when I first started wearing glasses. I can still read without glasses (except for small stuff like serial numbers). Point is - "Your eyes change as you age"

I've had three injuries to my cornea over the last 20 years. I kind of like the protection that glasses offer.

Every single person I know is absolutely thrilled with the surgery. Every single one of them over that certain age needs reading glasses. Many immediately after surgery. I don't need reading glasses and my night vision is perfect. Most I know have gone back for adjustments years later.

Here is the big thing: I don't know anyone who can tell me how well they like it 30 years after the surgery. Maybe thats why RonCT sees that room full of doctors still wearing glasses.

I'm not doing it.. I'm Ok with wearing glasses. And while VR can see through women's clothes. I continue to enjoy using Braille.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
My (best) eye was 20/40 up until 4 days ago when I had lasik on both eyes. Now they're both 20/15 .. wish I had done it sooner. Haven't tried driving on track since the procedure, but I'm hoping it made me faster.

The only advice I have is take the valium when they offer it. :-)

-mike
So was I. Did the slightly worse of the two eyes and left the other to see what happened after whering no glasses for a while. As the doc suspected, the uncorrected eye came back somewhat and the corrected eye has been 20/15 ever since. Don't need reading glasses.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

I used the lasik provider my physician used. No problems for over 10 years. Wasn't the low bidder, but quality was my goal.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Had LAZIK back in 2001 and love it. No reading glasses yet (45 years old next month), but I can see a slight degredation at night when I am tired or dehydrated, but that may be natural for all I know.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Had both eyes done ~2005 after wearing contacts for >30 years (I wore gas perms which were a pita, especially when at the beach or pool). Had it done a fellow DE'er, logic being that I could punt him off the track if the procedure wasn't successful and simply claim I couldn't see him because of a botched lasik procedure.... ;-)

I did have to have 1 eye redone but it wasn't as bad the 2nd time. A little starring effect of lights at night but no worse than my contacts. I have noticed a little degradation in close-up reading in low light (I just hit 44) but I was warned ahead of time that this is natural. Bright sunlight doesn't bother me anymore and I don't have to worry about a contact coming off-center while driving. My vision is still 20/20 as after the surgery. The lifestyle effect absolutely amazing and I wish I had done it earlier.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have laser eye surgery? Happy?