Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Controller Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 01:12 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Well if it tows like the 4.4 it will be fine. It has plenty of power and great brakes a little shortly coupled, so keeping the trailer balanced is important, the air suspension is nice, the deisel should do well.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

If you get sway once everything is said and done go with one of the Reese straight-line systems, they work great.
Old 03-30-2010 | 12:38 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodneyr
J Richard, I agree $1,500+ for all parts and install is a little pricey. The unit should be better integrated into the car. I believe the issue is almost no one that purchases an X5 uses it for towing. At my dealer I was the first person to have the electronic controller installed. Brand new car and too many electronics to deal with so the only option for me was to have BMW perform the install and reprogram the car.

The X5 Deisel is great. It is my Wife's daily driver. I can't tell you how it tows until I get a trailer.
Most towing packages for vhicles that are smaller than the 250's or 2500's out there do not have an integrated trailer brake controller. What you are paying for in most cases is for stiffer springs, additional cooling for the transmission, larger radiator, the wiring loom that pluigs into the controller and the actual towing hardware (trailer hitch). The half tons are anticipated to see heavy duty towing which is the reason they come with all of the goodies.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Controller Plug