Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Controller Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:57 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Controller Plug

As I stated in another post I am looking for a Trailex or Featherlite Trailer, and wanted to make sure my car is setup and ready to go to tow my 996 GT3. My 2010 BMW X5 Diesel has a BMW part brake controller. Attached is a picture of the part (Pollack Plug) on my hitch. For either of the trailers I mentioned with a brake controller is it just connect the plug from the trailer to the car? I am guessing this also controls the brake lights for the trailer.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2010, 04:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not familiar with the integrated BMW brake controller option.
Are you 100% sure it specifically states 'brake controller' and not 'trailer controller'?
For example, the Porsche Cayenne has a factory tow option (1D6), but that controller ONLY takes care of trailer lighting. Under the dash there is a 4 pin connector (standard for brake controllers) into which you connect your controller of choice.

You should be able to locate/reach a button to manually activate the brakes (as part of your check before heading out onto the road....and to be used if the "tail begins to wag the dog"; there should also be a control/**** in order to adjust sensitivity/delay.

Another simple way to tell is to connect a trailer (or a voltmeter) to the 7pin Pollack and step on the brake pedal.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And if you're new to towing, IMHO this is required reading:

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...6Nuqy8zYqeaibQ

And this is an excellent product to help position the trailer and equipment, so you know where to park things for proper tongue weight....

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:47 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
And if you're new to towing, IMHO this is required reading:

Good luck.
+1 on that!!!!!! So many tow without understanding these simple facts. Read it, believe it, do it
Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

My Chevy Duramax needed a Brake Controller though it had a "Tow package" installed already. I found one that simply plugged into the wiring harness an works great, the Prodigy 90185.

Here is an article of an older X5 installation I found - http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e53/x5_...er_install.pdf
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Default Trailer hitch info

Originally Posted by ltc
I am not familiar with the integrated BMW brake controller option.
Are you 100% sure it specifically states 'brake controller' and not 'trailer controller'?
For example, the Porsche Cayenne has a factory tow option (1D6), but that controller ONLY takes care of trailer lighting. Under the dash there is a 4 pin connector (standard for brake controllers) into which you connect your controller of choice.

You should be able to locate/reach a button to manually activate the brakes (as part of your check before heading out onto the road....and to be used if the "tail begins to wag the dog"; there should also be a control/**** in order to adjust sensitivity/delay.

Another simple way to tell is to connect a trailer (or a voltmeter) to the 7pin Pollack and step on the brake pedal.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
You are correct. In the car I have an Electronic Trailer Brake Controller. Right now I don'thave a trailer or voltmeter to check. I am assuming my BMW dealer installed everything correctly, and if not they will fix it.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My Chevy Duramax needed a Brake Controller though it had a "Tow package" installed already. I found one that simply plugged into the wiring harness an works great, the Prodigy 90185.

Here is an article of an older X5 installation I found - http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e53/x5_...er_install.pdf
Interesting that the brake controller in the PDF document looks like the one I have in my car. I am hoping my controller is similar to the Pordigy one outlined.

Yes, I have a lot to learn about towing a vehicle and I will be reading up on the links provided! So, back to my question is the plug in the hitch the correct plug which I would use to connect to a Featherlite or Trailex trailer with electronic braking or would I require another adapter of somekind.

Of course, I still need to purchase a trailer
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

If I read your question correctly, that's a 7 pin socket. Assuming that bmw brake controller is hooked under the dash (or where ever), you should have brakes, lights, turn signals--the whole deal for the trailex.
The controller looks identical to the Prodigy controller.

I think you're cooking with gas.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

That's a Prodigy all right, bet BMW gets more than $125 for it! You should be all set once you find a trailer Rodney.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Good to hear Marc. I was looking to confirm 7 pin round socket which is what I thought the Trailex engineer said. Gary R, you are correct BMW list price for controller is $255. I paid around $200 + about 3 hours of labor just to install the controller. Of course, that does not include the cost of the hitch kit + installation and reprogramming of the car.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Don't feel bad Rodney, my wife has a new 335i convertible, I know all about BMW's prices...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Draw Tight also sells the "same" controller. I have this one and performs very nicely.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... and sells for $89 on-line. Sorry.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I was a bit disappointed that in 2005 Ford did not offer the fully integrated trailer brake controller on the Excursion, but did on the F250/F350HD (even thought they are the same chassis).

Having the brake controller built in and fully integrated with the ABS is a nice to have...
Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea I'm a bit pissed at BMW about their poor detailing on this... You would think for the $1500 or so that the whole kit/install they would have something better than a aftermarket controller slapped under the dash...but with all the light bulb sensor warning circuits the make it a royal pain to add, BMW electrics are junk...

How do you like the deisel?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

J Richard, I agree $1,500+ for all parts and install is a little pricey. The unit should be better integrated into the car. I believe the issue is almost no one that purchases an X5 uses it for towing. At my dealer I was the first person to have the electronic controller installed. Brand new car and too many electronics to deal with so the only option for me was to have BMW perform the install and reprogram the car.

The X5 Deisel is great. It is my Wife's daily driver. I can't tell you how it tows until I get a trailer.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Controller Plug