Sponsored by:

Input on NJMP laps please ...........

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

please keep in mind that these are full race cars with appropriate suspension and Hoosiers YMMV
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^understood..I'd likely ruin a wheel or two, or worse, if on the curbing too much.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
^understood..I'd likely ruin a wheel or two, or worse, if on the curbing too much.
No issue for wheels with curbing at njmp with a softly sprung race car like mine, especially with the fat sidewall tires... (This will change effective next race with bigger t-bars and lower profile tires I am sure) Some other tracks are another story. Curbs at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, and onto the front straight are benign and jumping them allows for faster times imho. 3 is tricky... You have to put half the car on the inside of the curb otherwise the curb will push you to the left badly... Very smooth and composed driving Cello btw.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thx, Fred.

Of those, I am comfortable with 2, 5, 7, & 8 (no chicane). I can do better on all, but I think I have to get over and onto 4's curbing (at apex) a bit more, and ditto with 6 (at apex). I do think being a little later and sharper on turn in wld help for both turns.

T4 - i am just not braking correctly and therefor starting the turn at different spots each time - I try to do a quick stab b/t braking marker 2 and 1 (no chicane), then wait to turn in (which is not yet consistently located), and throttle thru apex. What shows is a wk in progress hence the slowness.

T6 - is an optical illusion for me. It just looks like you are running out of track, but there is room there to go deeper then i do (see the Acura and his turn in spot compared to mine). I think I need to straighten out that turn a bit by being a little deeper and crisper on turn in and then on throttle thru apex. I feel like i am early and coasting to apex there b/f I can get on the power again.

I got a ways to go I know......
Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Good discussion!

I'm responsible for the curbing placement at Thunderbolt and a lot of this commentary is right on. I'm contributing to a thread on the same subject with some relevent input at Bimmerforums. See http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1424722

Looking forward to reviewing the video.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter, don't help those M3's go any faster around Tbolt. There fast enough in GTS3 now!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of early apexes. T2 you are early every time. Going thrugh the chicane, you need to hold the left hand longer, so you can get a better run on that straght so you only need to use the curbing at the end of the trackout there. It is such a common mistake, and when you get it right you will be able to catch everyone in your run group. The following right sweeper can be taken with so much speed. There is PLENTY of track-out (you and most never even track out to the left 3/4 of the track there. Go in Hot enough where you have to once and you'll see how much speed you can carry into that sweeper.
(I instruct @ NJMP so I know it just a bit)

Too bad you cant alter the fish eye on the contourHD, and dissappointed with the sound. Was thinking of getting one and I think just made my decision on the GoPro HD
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Dave M, thx for the comments.

I hear you. At my level, consistency is the biggest issue. Bob gave me a good tip herein re thinking in terms of where i want to end up after braking which i think will help me control speed/turn-in location a bit better (rather than trying to judge the correct amt of braking at the initial braking point). Re the chicane, you are absolutely correct, same thing Dennis Macchio told me at a BR 'Drive your own' event there last year. As it was, I held it longer than most in that run grp so that is a common mistake.

Re the Contour, don't decide from this. First event out with it - learning. Sound is bad as it is basically over the back seats (stock car - no harness bar) so it is hugely getting wind buffeted. I think sound would be better if set b/t the front seats. Also, used it at 760 (720?)/60fps setting not the 1080/30. Will try the higher resolution at Schattenbaum's April event and if better quality I will let you know. That said the GoPro HD is great.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Good discussion!

I'm responsible for the curbing placement at Thunderbolt and a lot of this commentary is right on. I'm contributing to a thread on the same subject with some relevent input at Bimmerforums. See http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1424722

Looking forward to reviewing the video.
Looking fwd to hearing from you .. maybe. Don't take my hack job on your baby now saved for posterity personally, please. Or at least wash your eyes with Sean's run afterwards ...

It would be great to hear the a designer's thoughts on how to attack the track ...

[OK just found those comments in post 5 of your link. I wld LOVE to hear your critique, Peter.....Thx]

Last edited by cello; 03-25-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: further thoughts.......
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

learned alot from this thread...thanks CJ for posting and thanks for the comments of all.

Hope to see you in April.

Quick Reply: Input on NJMP laps please ...........