Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on NJMP laps please ...........

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Input on NJMP laps please ...........

Guys, critique very welcome. I know that it must be generic as there is no data overlay..but at my level any criticism would be helpful.

NJMP, Thunderbolt, Schattenbaum PCA, White-Blue run grp, stock street car, non R-comps. Chicane at T3 open.

Looking for things to work on. Recommendations? Thoughts? Suggestions? Please and TIA...

Here are links (do not know how to embed other than YT):

http://www.vholdr.com/video/njmpschattenbaum32110clip

http://www.vholdr.com/video/schatten...t32110run9clip
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Your turn in is consistently early and thus an early apex. Try going further into the corners before turning.
Also work on later and harder braking , you are done braking & down shifting 50 feet before turn in.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too early on T1, just a little slow. Attack the curbing in T2 and track out. Into the chicane, alot of curbing, but lean early and carry a pause before you turn back left, more speed. Sweeper after the hill is much faster. If you going the right speed you will not be able to track back to the right. Take the slow corner toward middle track, early, track way wide to the paint. Earlier into the sweeper not at the 1 mark. This is a mistake that we did (do). The turn is better managed on the throttle. Into the octopus, onto the curbing. Look at the track next your out there. The faded curbing should tell you where you can use it and where not to. Roll the car out of the octopus and you will end up left of track center into the off camber left hander up the hill. Pause throttle slightly up the hill adding front grip, this will give you wide open throttle up the essess. Your early on the first s turn because of track position. Under the bridge okay, a little closer to the apex would be good. I thought the track was clean with the chicane I had 1:31s which is in the low 1:28 range on the normal track. I only got 4 session because of some car problems.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thx for taking the time to watch and post guys.

Consistency with the brake pedal is an issue. I find I can have a delta of several mph at the end of braking zones. That, of course, affects turn in location and speed. Despite my slower speed that is disconcerting..

Can anyone recommend techniques to work on braking consistency while on the track ??? .... without involving large ***** or the risk of writing large collision repair checks, pls

TIA
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Change your thought process to where to stop braking and not where to start braking. Look into the turn and visualize your exit all the way to track out. Use references to setup up the process. This will move your eyes to focus on where you want to go and not the opposite side of the track where the references are located. eg: T1 at Tbolt, most drivers are way too late there. Look into the turn to track exit remember you need to bowl the turn to set up T2 with an early apex. If you are late in T2, your off the track. Elevating turns like T2 are best a little and over the curbing getting more of a straight line when the car gets light cresting.

When Chris Cervelli coached me there, he explained if your going fast, you likely will miss the apex quite often because of entry speed. He was right as you really struggle to get to the inside of the track.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Bob - Thx! Very helpful.

Your rec on first deciding where to end braking is great as a way to change my present mindset. Kind of like looking thru the turn and down the track to initiate turn-in..

Funny thing about driving: You first change your mind, but then you have to change muscle memory. I know I need to do certain things, will give the mental command, yet I will still do the old action; e.g. hold the steering angle a beat too long after apex to track out, etc. Just gotta put the work in..

Thank you for your time!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDun911
Your turn in is consistently early and thus an early apex. Try going further into the corners before turning.
Also work on later and harder braking , you are done braking & down shifting 50 feet before turn in.
I don't see where he is early, looks pretty good to me, well done!

I think you can go faster pretty much everywhere.

W00T Gene in the Acura at 2:00!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ cool, the Acura was moving thru the day !

Truth on the speed....
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

^^^^ That track is full of early apexes to go fast. Late can be very bad at Tbolt as the track was designed for racing and the location of the run-off tends towards faster early entry.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^^ That track is full of early apexes to go fast. Late can be very bad at Tbolt as the track was designed for racing and the location of the run-off tends towards faster early entry.
Yeah, like turn 2 for example. The old adage of "Later is safer" doesn't always apply IMHO.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

T-Bolt is a really interesting track because the curbs are such an important part of going fast. You really have to use all of them and then some. Aside from a couple of spots, they are incredibly friendly/rewarding. I took out several pylons at the race last year trying to use every inch of them especially at the apex of T2 and T5.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Sean - other than the obv 2ndary outer portions of the double-wide curbs (like at track out T2), which are the ones to avoid ??
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I actually use the secondary at track out in T1 and T2. I wouldn't recommend that for every lap DE use, but we used it in the race on every lap and it wasn't punitive. I really don't like the apex curbing in T1. I found it really upsets the car. At first, I was tentative in the last turn but after watching FredC fly by me using all four wheels on the curb at apex I started putting all four on the curb and really cutting down the angle.

Here is one lap that isn't a great lap but shows the use of curbs in most places - I started getting much more aggressive after this video

http://vimeo.com/5592870

Here are some laps from one of the club races which shows a mix of laps including some very aggressive use of curbs (and grass/mud). FredC has some even better ones

http://vimeo.com/6390569
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Sean, your right in a race T1 curbing way inside works. It does upset the car, but you expect it. DE no, likely a black flag. Stay off the curbing in T3 or you will be looking at a guard rail, same in T6. Not sure it makes sense in the essess. Some guys are running the curb onto the front straight, but my suspension won't go for that. I showed my student the worn areas on the curbs on the yellow lap to indicate where it was okay to clip them.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thx, great vids ! That Sprint was wild ! Had not seen that before - nice driving.

I see what you mean - you really ride up on most of the apex curbing and it does not seem (from your vid/camera bounce/shake) to upset the car too much at all (the outer portion of T2 at 5:20 had some shake and bake goin' on tho ). Curbs did not seem to affect the cars in a worse way in the wet either, surprisingly..

I saw Fred C's curb (and agricultural ) use at the NJMP PCA Club race/practice last year. Impressive!

Bob - yeah, there is a big difference b/t a race and a DE........I too look for the worn areas.

Quick Reply: Input on NJMP laps please ...........