Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking.......Yeah or Nay?........

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

That was some amazing footwork! WOW, thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by BrandonH
There must be forty left foot braking threads in the archives, but I just searched my own comments to find this much viewed but always dazzling video of Walter Rohl, also reposting my comments from an 07 thread...

Somewhere in the literature (maybe Going Faster? or Ross Bentley?) Mario Andretti is asked for one or two of the "secrets" he's evolved over the course of his experience. He politely responds that any real "secrets" he has accumulated are for the benefit of his sons (Marco not born yet!) but then adds cryptically: "However, a lot of people think brakes are for stopping the car..." Come to think of it this must've been in one of the Speed Secret Books, since Bentley places huge emphasis on left-foot braking...

I think what Mario was suggesting, and what Ross Bentley certainly believes, is that driving ultimately involves an ongoing ballet performance using all three pedals, a performance you can't master until you are fluent with both left foot braking and heel/toe. Using the brakes is another tool for shifting the car's weight around to the tire that needs it, when it needs it.

One of the greatest illustrations: Walter Rohl in Group B, see the dance here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HjXXUyQhPE

(among the many dazzling lessons, watch how he uses the dead pedal; like a percussionist timing his entrance!)
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree. you certainly can be braking and full throttle though, and what this does is effectively change your rear brake bias, it also lessens the chance of a rear wheel lock up, which might be desirable. There are so many different styles to get the job done, its silly to say one way is the only way for all conditions and situations.

I dont think Rohl's foot work would do as much good on a road racing track.

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Interesting. I had the same comment when I read the title to this post.

The only time I truly used left foot braking is when I raced Karts. Hint: you can only brake with your left foot.

By it's very nature, left foot braking means that you need to use your right foot for something, so the left is going to need to get the job done. Since you can't accelerate and decelerate simultaneously you can't really be "braking" with your left foot. I see it more as managing grip or "balancing" the car.

Semantics maybe.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry guys, I am in Egypt and am trying to catch up with the posts......

My question still stands as the OP:

LFB...Yeah or Nay......?

Lets keep it simple....... I really don't feel like posting a two option poll..........
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Paolo, if you can't brake PERFECTLY with your right foot, don't worry about the left one until you can. Is that simple enough?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My left foot is an idiot. The right one works quite well.

I was surprised to learn that some pro drivers don't heel/toe......
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I dont think Rohl's foot work would do as much good on a road racing track.
LOL...

OK...
Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hey Paolo, if you can't brake PERFECTLY with your right foot, don't worry about the left one until you can. Is that simple enough?
Exactly, or the way I put it is: LFB is ALWAYS better IF you can do it properly (or as good as with your right foot). It NEVER hurts if done right, and it can help a lot in MANY situations.
In my SMG M3 I never RFB
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
I was surprised to learn that some pro drivers don't heel/toe......

Those are the ones with sequental gearboxes and clutch less shifting.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Those are the ones with sequental gearboxes and clutch less shifting.
Well yes, but for 40 years, also any open car or sports racer with a Hewland; no need to clutch once the car is rolling...
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 AM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Well yes, but for 40 years, also any open car or sports racer with a Hewland; no need to clutch once the car is rolling...
No need to clutch but absolutely a need to blip. One of the coolest things about LFB is how well you can do the downshifts if you have a box that is suited to clutchless downshifting.

Paolo - what Larry said about being perfect right foot first, but yes, LFB is a really great technique IF you're good at it. You need to try it and make up your own mind, but realize that it takes a lot of practice, and in your car you will have to dance the pedals the way Rohl does in the video.

Oh yeah, stabbing the clutch instead of the brake is not recommended. Fortunately I did it in an auto-x and all I hit was a cone. Never made that mistake again.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brucegre
Oh yeah, stabbing the clutch instead of the brake is not recommended. Fortunately I did it in an auto-x and all I hit was a cone. Never made that mistake again.
I had a student in a Spec Miata do that to me one time right at start/finish at Summit Point. He went to hit 5th and forgot (and neglected to tell me) that he had tried left foot braking on the turn previous. We went almost sideways and I thought we'd end up on the roof. He saved it somehow - amazing cars!

I should have known -- when I got in the car he said "I'm not going to lie to you, I rolled before" "Ok, have you rolled more than once" "Yes...."

I should have gotten out of the car right then.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by brucegre
No need to clutch but absolutely a need to blip.
Not any more! We have controllers for that.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 AM
brucegre
Banned

Yeah, the purist in me is refusing, but the racer is really thinking about it - it's pretty simple to add to the Radical. Meantime, I blip, therefore I ... well, you know.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 532 Posts
Default LFB - A Eureka Moment

Sorry to be resurrecting this old thread again but I wanted to share a Eureka experience I had during my coaching session with Bob Turgeon at Pocono North yesterday when we started to work on LFB. In short - it really worked for me! Why?

It wasn't so much about braking and slowing the car per se, but LFB allowed for a much better management of the weight transfer during turn in. This required the right level of braking and the right brake/gas modulation (reducing the amount of gas required over time as your left foot gets more sensitive). For obvious reasons I limited the application of LFB to no-downshift corners. I have a 250hp car that is very forgiving and predictable but will severely penalize you time wise for over slowing in corners.

When we looked at the data and compared lateral and longitudinal g's it was very obvious that this all about smoothing the weight transfer. The data also showed that in some corners I was actually braking earlier but less and achieving higher corner and exit speeds.

Key is that I had to prepare myself for each LFB application. It can't be a spur of the moment decision or you'll end up with your feet places where they don't belong.

Originally Posted by M758
It all comes down to how you need to manage the weight transfer in the car and finding the optimum way to do that given your conditions. LFB is valueable too as the more tools you have the more options you have.
+1

All in all, I really learned something and will continue to experiment with it. Thanks for Larry and Bob from Trackside Data for consistently trusting me with their lives in my car! Can't wait to try this in the dry next time.

Disclaimer:
- Track conditions at Pocono were wet/damp. I'm not a racer. No affiliation with Trackside Data - just a happy customer
Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank, I think we made the best of the conditions and you did an awesome job. Time for you to start racing again!! With your permission I will post a data trace of what is going on so the debate can continue. We packed up since the fog never lifted............. See you at Tbolt next.

Quick Reply: Left foot braking.......Yeah or Nay?........