Sponsored by:

SmartyCam + ECU Bridge Data Logger

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,
I'll be at the NASA race this weekend and would like to hook up with you. I have an AIM unit, I think its a Micron 3 XL Gold, that I want to install in my SpecBox using an ECU bridge. From what Ive gathered they dont make one specific to the Boxster but that the 996 is close enough for the data I want to see, RPMs, speed, shift lights, water temp, oil press.... Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in MD, work in VA. I arrive at VIR late tomorrow (Thur) and am running in HPDE3 Sat-Sun at VIR. I am staying at the sleep in. I am willing to pay for support if anyone can help me.

I have a 07 997 Turbo.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will72, have a look at my AIM post in this section. The 997 Turbo (both mk1 and mk2 models) are very well supported by AIM in regards to the channels of information available by connecting two wires to the ECU's CAN network. Are you using the OBD2 ECU bridge or the CAN ECU bridge?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Will72
Intermediate

FC - I saw that post. I am not using the EV04 and therefore my application is somewhat different. I am using the CAN connection (two wires connected to the ECU) type of ECU bridge. At the time of purchase, the EV04 was overkill for what I was doing and the SmartyCam with ECU bridge could capture what I needed. I am not racing so I figured this would be fine.
I don't beleive it is my connection. I beleive it is the units themselves. The constant error I get when trying to communicate with either the Cam or ECU bridge is "impossible to communicate wtih logger".
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP. I want to first apologize for the poor customer service you received. Please give me a call and I will sort out whatever the problem is. I will need you to have the SmartyCam and your computer available so we can run through a few things.

What I would like you to do is remove SmartyManager and reinstall it before you call.

If you have virus protection software turn it off and turn off the windows firewall as well. The connection to SmartyCam is an ip address.

I am out and about today, so if you get my voice mail please leave me a message and I will get back to you today. Thats a promise.

All the best,

Jordan Dalessio
AiM Sports
SmartyCam
727-647-2674
Old 03-24-2010, 04:06 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Will72
FC - I saw that post. I am not using the EV04 and therefore my application is somewhat different. I am using the CAN connection (two wires connected to the ECU) type of ECU bridge.
I bought both the EVO4 and an ECU bridge (in case the direct ECU connection didn't pan out). I was able to connect to the ECU bridge to tell it what ECU it's going to be connected to.

Your comms error points to a USB driver issue perhaps? Have you tried it on a different computer with a fresh install of Racestudio2? I found the USB driver install to be a bit tricky but it worked on the first try.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I bought both the EVO4 and an ECU bridge (in case the direct ECU connection didn't pan out). I was able to connect to the ECU bridge to tell it what ECU it's going to be connected to.

Your comms error points to a USB driver issue perhaps? Have you tried it on a different computer with a fresh install of Racestudio2? I found the USB driver install to be a bit tricky but it worked on the first try.
He said he could go "Online" with the SmartyCam, which runs to the laptop directly via a USB cable to the camera so I would assume his USB drivers are good or he would get a Comm error there also.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
He said he could go "Online" with the SmartyCam, which runs to the laptop directly via a USB cable to the camera so I would assume his USB drivers are good or he would get a Comm error there also.
Some devices work with generic USB devices and others need specific USB drivers. I don't have any info from AIM to know if the Smarty needs the special drivers or not.

My experience with AIM has been positive, so I'm sure the OP will have a working SmartyCam soon.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Gary and FC - I called Jordan and he said it sounded like a USB driver issue. He is going to help me figure it out tonight when I get home. Thank you both for your responses. I will let you know the outcome.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Joe,
I'll be at the NASA race this weekend and would like to hook up with you. I have an AIM unit, I think its a Micron 3 XL Gold, that I want to install in my SpecBox using an ECU bridge. From what Ive gathered they dont make one specific to the Boxster but that the 996 is close enough for the data I want to see, RPMs, speed, shift lights, water temp, oil press.... Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent a PM to you.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Some devices work with generic USB devices and others need specific USB drivers. I don't have any info from AIM to know if the Smarty needs the special drivers or not.

My experience with AIM has been positive, so I'm sure the OP will have a working SmartyCam soon.
Nope, the drivers that come with Race Studio are it AFAIK, as Race Studio itself connects to the SmartyCam for configuration also.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jordan at aim seems to be responsive, good luck to sorting it out.

but what i really dont understand is that WHY are these things so counter-intuitive. when will APPLE make a system for our cars. i need TRUE plug and play.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate it and am impressed with this forum.

Mooty was right, Jordan from AIM really did help. From my initial contact with him through problem resolution less than 18 hours later, he came though. I feel as if AIM went above and beyond any experience I have seen thus far in the Driver Education (DE) world. One should note I have only bee doing this since June 2009.

So, the resolution was a replacement SmartyCam and cable from the SmartyCam connecting to the ECU Bridge. Fortunately it wasn’t the ECU bridge which is currently hard wired into the ECU.

Once the camera was replace (on site at VIR mind you), I went out an ran a session and for the first time was able to record in car video and my lap times. After my first session, some fine tuning was needed by the on site tech from AIM but after that, it was working.

I have since had 9 track days and am collecting a massive amount of videos. Currently the down side to the SmartyCam is that it ONLY collects video (SmartyCam alone or with ECU bridge). This means that after watching a replay of a lap, I have to manually write down my lap times. I have since created an excel spreadsheet to keep track of the lap times.

This configuration only records video. For some reason I thought it would record data like a TrackMate but I was mistaken. AIM (Jordan) informed me that they are in the process of recording more data for download in coming software and firmware releases. Release date has yet been determined.

Also another downside for my car is that the ECU bridge only picks up a few items from my ECU sensors. And, regardless of what it picks up, the gauges would only be displayed during playback of the video file (an avi file).

I am not sure if I will wait for the upgraded software or move on to another data recording device at this time.

Thanks for all your help once again. Case closed for now.

-Will

Quick Reply: SmartyCam + ECU Bridge Data Logger