SmartyCam + ECU Bridge Data Logger

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SmartyCam + ECU Bridge Data Logger

Hey,
Anyone using or install a SmartyCam + ECU Bridge recently and have any issues? I have been pulling my hair out for the past two days trying to make this system work - no luck - ugh!

If I ever get this working I will post a "what not to do". This is killing me.

Thanks!

Will
Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will,

I have connected a couple of the Smarty Cams to current configurations on the Aim data logger with out any problems. Do you have the instruction booklet or CD? One of the first ones got screwed up because I did not "confirm" the action in one step. Also you might need to calibrate your accelerometer on the Smarty Cam.

Let me know if you need a number of someone to call who will most likely have all the answers?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Thanks Kerrigan for your response. I followed all the steps and had two other guys double checking everything I did. I have never took apart my car before and even though I only had to connect two cables to the ECU, I wanted to ensure I had others around that had done this before (although on BMW's with different data loggers).

I tried two different laptops to make sure it's wasn't my computer. At this point, I think something is wrong with the ECU Bridge.

I can provide details on everything if needed. It should just work though.

thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Just to be sure, did you calibrate the Accelerometer on the Smarty Cam? Basically just placing the Smarty Cam on a desk and pressing calibrate.

I would suggest you call Apex Speed Technology at 310-314-2005. Ask for either Neel or Rhys.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Will72
Intermediate

Yes, when I first took it out of the box I configured it. I messed with all the settings then as well. The camera is mounted and does record. I am 99% sure I either fried my ECU bridge or it just isn't working. Everytime I try to connect it to my laptop, I get the same error no matter what I do:

This error in the Race Studio manual says it's not powered on or not connected when it is. So, I am scratching my head.

Will
Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Will72
Intermediate

Sorry, the error is: "Impossible to communicate with data logger".
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Will72
Sorry, the error is: "Impossible to communicate with data logger".
Same error they use for every comm issue. I don't have an ECU bridge but it sure sounds like yours isn't working right. Silly question, but do you have the car on/running when trying to communicate? As you said the camera is recording, is it turning on with the ignition (as mine does)? Then (again assuming it uses the same cable I do to connect to my data hub) it is getting power and ignition signal from the bridge, yes? Just not tach/gas/brake? Have you updated the camera to the latest (3/19/10 - v01.00.44, which includes .42) firmware and DL's the new Race Studio(3/16), Smarty Manager(3/1). ad GPS Manager(3/19)? Lot's of fixes since v01.00.36, which my camera shipped with.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Hi Gary,
Yes, my camera has the latest s/w and f/w. I will double check tonight. The only thing that is working is the "online" button in the smarty manager (it only shows the camera position on the laptop screen). I can't get anything from the camera or ecu bridge connected to either the camera or ecu bridge using the race studio s/w. Always the same error.

Yes, I do have the car running and power adapter plugged into the extra power outlet in my arm rest. To be sure, I plugged it into the standard cigarette lighter next to the emergency brake lever as well (no change).

I talked to the AIM distributor this morning at 940ish and he was going to have someone call me back in an hour...it's now 1pm. No calls. This is the worse support/service/product for nearly 1500 bucks. At least I don't have any error codes any longer. Disconnecting the battery reset the check engine light. Had it not, I was going to buy a diagnostic device that could reset it. I may get one anyway. Know any good ones? I was looking in Sears and they sold a few. I guess as long as it works it doesn't have to be anything fancy or really expensive. The one I was looking at was nearly 300 bucks though.

3 days and a wakeup for my first track day in 2010.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM
realride
Rennlist Member

I've my smarty cam connected to my mxl pista with no poroblem.
here is a sample video for you.
http://vimeo.com/10216643

AIM motorsport here is so.cal were very help full, you should them and ask for Josh.
thx
benny
Old 03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by realride
I've my smarty cam connected to my mxl pista with no poroblem. here is a sample video for you.
http://vimeo.com/10216643
AIM motorsport here is so.cal were very help full, you should them and ask for Josh.
benny
I'm guessing from the cascading list of cars you have it in a 996? Is it connected through a Data Hub or ECU bridge?

Will - Sorry I can't be much direct help as I don't use the ECU bridge, but when in Smarty Manager, do you connect via the USB cable to your laptop (as I do)? If you have internet access it will tell you what version firmware you have and you can DL it directly from AIM from that screen. The installation process is totally whacked (Pusha thisa button, while holda onta thata button, while squeeza da lemon) but it works.. Be sure to update the SD card as well.

Maybe Joe at Circuit Motorsports can help?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry been outta the loop running around the eastern US.

Looking over what you've said and what I have in my notes on the setup it 'should' be working. I haven't had much time with the ECU bridges though. If I was there I'd and run out of things that they mention in the manual I'd be on the phone with the folks in VA. 1-800-718-9090. Not sure who you called before but this would be the first place to call. Maybe ask for Jordan's contact info as he's their lead SmartyCam guru.

Feel free to call me at as well.

--Joe

Last edited by Circuit Motorsports; 06-26-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Will72
Intermediate

Yesterday at 0930 I called AIM and was told I would get a call back in an hour. Today at 1030, I received a call (and message) from AIM finally returning my call. When I called them back shortly after, the person I needed to speak to was "busy" on another call (probably fixing another issue like mine). I finally connected with them later in the day (not their fault, I was just busy working to afford things like this) and the person I spoke with was really nice. Really nice didn't solve the problem. Matter of fact, the only response I got was "humph - never seen this before". I was told they would research and get back to me in a day or two. I was also told that since I was local they could ship me a new device quickly if needed. When I let them know that I was headed for a track event Thursday, all I heard was "oh".

I was informed that "it just works" and "this is not normal" so if you are interested in a SmartyCam and ECU bridge, I am not deterring you from buying one. After all, I was told many many many people have them and they work. Other AIM products apparently work too (proof is above in other posts).

So, if anyone has a recommendation for another product, I am very interested in your advise (please).

Thanks!

Will
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Will, where do you live?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Will72
Intermediate

I live on Earth. More specifically, I in the United State. Maryland to be specific. I work in DC.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Are you going to the VIR event? If so I'll come up and we can meet up if you want. Also what kind of car are you running?

Quick Reply: SmartyCam + ECU Bridge Data Logger