Sponsored by:

why not shuffle steer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I'll answer: it depends. See my post above yours re: steering ratio.

(And any event where you, as a student, feel you're being chastised is an organization you want to stay away from...)
So, basically, the decision of when to remove your hands from the wheel is based only on how much you have turned it, versus how much more you feel you will need to turn it? 180 degrees with hands at 9 and 3 is not necessarily unsafe or irresponsible?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

No shuffle steering. Get closer to the wheel and buy a smaller wheel if you feel that you are forced to shuffle steer...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
So, basically, the decision of when to remove your hands from the wheel is based only on how much you have turned it, versus how much more you feel you will need to turn it? 180 degrees with hands at 9 and 3 is not necessarily unsafe or irresponsible?
There are corners for a given car/track that warrant a shuffle steer technique. Not driving the bus shuffle steering, but sliding your left hand from 9 to 12 in prep for a left hander or from 3 to 12 for a right hander and then sliding them back (not lift and reset).

I shuffle steer in rare situations. My rule of thumb is after several laps/attempts at a corner if I feel like I am really reaching and my arms are crossed up and I'm holding on with a death grip I'll shuffle steer. The only way you can properly feel the inputs from the car through the steering wheel is if your arms and hands are relaxed and you have a light grip on the wheel. In addition, you take away options if your body is in a position that you are at the limit of of steering travel.

This particular topic gets a lot of heat when it's discussed, but if you wade through the thread I posted earlier you'll see several videos of Senna, Schumacher, etc. who shuffle steer. Part of the problem with these threads is in the definition. Somebody who moves their hands all over the place on every turn are referred to as "shuffle steering" meaning it's their general technique for any corner. My definition is above - sliding your hands on the wheel in preparation or during a corner that requires it under a defined set of circumstances. Shuffle steering should be a fallback technique not the primary technique, but don't be afraid to use it when necessary.

If you are new to this sport, learn it under the supervision of an instructor. He/she will be able to observe your technique in a given corner that is giving you trouble and help you to learn the technique. It is very specific way of moving your hands on the wheel, not just lifting and placing.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shuffle as required...if it works for the pros I am OK with it...
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by TedA
shuffle as required...if it works for the pros I am OK with it...
Honestly, I have never seen a pro racer do it (not saying they don't). And steering wheels in formula cars are prototypes tend to be rectangular these days....tough to shuffle those wheels...
Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by FredC
.........Get closer to the wheel and buy a smaller wheel if you feel that you are forced to shuffle steer..........
I don't know anything, but this was the most important adjustment for me. No more leaning forward to stretch to complete tight turn arms akimbo. However, I do let the wheel snap back at exit by releasing and grabbing at completion.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

about the 1:40 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHW_CmDXUE
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

starts about the 1:30 mark and gets wild at about 2:15 - it's actually pretty crazy what he does with this car and how extreme his steering movement is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwaCjLg8MY
Old 03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sean F
Seating position, size of the wheel, understeering car, relaxed touring ride...no choice but to.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sean F
starts about the 1:30 mark and gets wild at about 2:15 - it's actually pretty crazy what he does with this car and how extreme his steering movement is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwaCjLg8MY

same.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Agreed. There are situations when it is very useful.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in a large slide which requires full lock, you will shuffle steer.

But typically speaking at normal track days I try and avoid those situations.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Another reason to love NASCAR, interupting Sebring, it limits coverage of some terrific real driving and racing resulting in us beating up on some poor guy who needs a little help in droving technique. Good thing was it looked like the eggs didn't break as he went farming. Give the guy points for not texting while driving.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Here's my confession--I don't shuffle the Radical (guess why), and I do with a stock steering wheel on a street 911 (guess why).
Bingo, and we have a winner !
Dependent on car,or better said, steering ratio of car, and corner of course, shuffle may be necessary.

Best shuffle steer driver I've ever been with was Vic Elford, of course with his rally experience I would expect no less. He never said a thing about my shuffle steering either, good nor bad.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

I used to shuffle steer when i did karting. In fact most of the time i would be making some sort of correction. I have never driven a car on the track that i felt required shuffle steering at the limits i was at (all low hp cars)..idk if that means anything but i just found it interesting.

Quick Reply: why not shuffle steer?