Sponsored by:

PCA Advanced Instructor Training program-proposed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 886 Posts

Agreed.

To be clear, I am not helping instructors be better instuctors, but rather better drivers.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kurt M
Frank, Is this program instruction training or driving training? I think the key to being a advanced instructor is not so much the driving (which is required) but the communication of clear, consistent and correct information to the student as well as being able to adapt to the students needs. I think we have more great drivers than great communicators.

Dave, Potomac grows its own instructors too with a yearly all day classroom event as well as instructor only days at the track for mentoring and right seat time. More formal ongoing continuing education can't hurt.

I think this was underlying my confusion.. Is this program of instruction training or driving training?

Neither my driving or instruction is perfect. If it was, I wouldn't have a regular day job, right? But I am also not a racer and have no intention of becoming a racer. Consistency of line is something I pride myself on, but, "whose" line? What makes one line better? What "line" will be taught/critiqued?

I am a hobbyist who for $42/year and a used Porsche, gets to go to all kinds of racetracks and share what I learn with beginners.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
... I am also not a racer and have no intention of becoming a racer...
But your forum name is...?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
I think this was underlying my confusion.. Is this program of instruction training or driving training?

Neither my driving or instruction is perfect. If it was, I wouldn't have a regular day job, right? But I am also not a racer and have no intention of becoming a racer. Consistency of line is something I pride myself on, but, "whose" line? What makes one line better? What "line" will be taught/critiqued?

I am a hobbyist who for $42/year and a used Porsche, gets to go to all kinds of racetracks and share what I learn with beginners.
It is both, but it depends on your point of view. I believe to be a good teacher you need to be a good driver. Not a fast driver but a good driver. I know that people say that you must be a good communicator and I do not disagree with that, but you must also know what to communicate. I think being a better driver, helps you understand the student and know how to help them. So this program works with improving the instructors driving skill. We also spend class time discussing how the mid ohio School goes about instructing students and pick up some tips from them as to how they do it, from a communication, observation point of view. PCA will be putting one one to two classes one on communication. Maybe one on instructor liability.
Originally Posted by kurt M
Frank, Is this program instruction training or driving training? I think the key to being a advanced instructor is not so much the driving (which is required) but the communication of clear, consistent and correct information to the student as well as being able to adapt to the students needs. I think we have more great drivers than great communicators.

Dave, Potomac grows its own instructors too with a yearly all day classroom event as well as instructor only days at the track for mentoring and right seat time. More formal ongoing continuing education can't hurt.
Kurt the plan for this project was 90% driving skill 10% communication. We only have one day and would rather dedicate it to the track time. The thought was, the national instructor training program the Pete Tremper puts on is all about communication. This program would move on to driving skills. I agree with you that we always need to work on and improve communication, but that would not be the focus here.
I ran with Potomac at VIR last year and instructed with them at Mid Ohio this year. I pitched this to the group and several guys signed up.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Each year, I participate in at least three advanced driver training programs with a professional racing school to (i) maintain my PCA National Instructor Certification, and (ii) improve my skills as a driver. The upcoming program at MO serves as another means for PCA Nationally Certified instructors to develop their driving and instructing skills and to retain what they have already earned: PCA National Instructor certification.

Quick Reply: PCA Advanced Instructor Training program-proposed