Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Advanced Instructor Training program-proposed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally do not think we need a title either, and in fact, if that turns out to be important to the masses, it will make it difficult to make this a National program because it will require a national rather than regional flavor to it. This is supposed to be all about driving skill. Period.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't like the idea of another credential. Either you're a certified PCA instructor or you're not. Otherwise the confusion will really start getting bad.

Besides, I'm already a member of the PCA DE corps, so I'm done learning.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Frank,
Several years ago the Audi club had the Mid-Ohio instructors work with us during the lpping day. In my opinion this was a great experience. The track walk was fantastic and the observation/comments about our driving was invaluable.
Now how to transfer this into a program to make us better drivers is the challenge. In my opinion a track walk that focusses on teaching us how to understand the corners and teach us to better analyze any track would be valuable. Working on technique of driving and getting fast on any track is the key, not just Mid-Ohio.
ARPCA and NOR just had a joint instructor clinic taught by Dennis Macchio of Bertyl Roos. This was a very good clinic regarding helping us to improve our teaching.
I like your idea of going another direction and giving us a chance to learn and improve our driving.
I hope you are able to make this happen and best of luck.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Why so much focus on credentials? I don't think that was really the point. Any venue that provides meaningfull continuing education is a good thing and an event, or better yet, a program geared toward instructors is a really good thing. I don't see a need for any formalized recognition for participating but it all adds to an instructors CV. The PCA DE program in general provides very good education for students at a reasonable cost but instructors have to work harder or pay more to get quality instruction. $200 seems pretty reasonable.....and I've never been to mid-Ohio.....

Last edited by sbelles; 03-19-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, what is with all the semantics about titles. This is a FABULOUS idea which will enhance the ability of some percentage of instructors which is a good thing. A great deal of the knowledge acquired by those taking it will inevitably be passed on to those who did not. Must all good ideas get bogged down and killed by nonsense? Too many lawyers in PCA? Hope this catches on and expands. I am in zone one but go to MO and would gladly do so for this, though that schedule conflicts with a race.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDL
Frank,

I hope you are able to make this happen and best of luck.
This program is going to happen. It is already booked with Mid-Ohio and you can register on line now http://www.midohio.com/School/Course...aining-Program. I was not really using this post to pump the event, I have to do a presentation on it Saturday 3/20/10 before the Zone 4 presidents, and I am wanting input, however the event is open, subject to fine tuning. We are going to offer instructors who sign up for this event to get first dibs on instructing at our DE that will follow this Friday course. so it will be 200.00 for Friday and 50.00 to instruct the weekend, pretty good 3 day event for 250.00.

This is similar to the Audi club program, but with a PCA flare.

I Saw that clinic that Bruce put on and I wanted to go but you can't do it all. If you have any good outlines please share. Frank.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in, where do I sign up?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Registered. Have not been to Mid Ohio since 2007. Looks like a great opportunity to advance driving and instructing skills.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank,

Thanks for doing this....I just signed up.

Ken
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I would be very interested as I'm always willing to try to improve both as a driver and instructor. I have been coached by the Mid-Ohio instructors and they are great.

Bill
Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I am all for more intructiing on how to be a better instructor and driver. I will never stop learning.

I just returned from a PSDS Masters Class and the Porsche instructors are not only excellent drivers but more than that excellent comunicators. I picked up some instructing skills from them with just the way the explain things. I wish Porsche would give PCA the course materials that they use to train the PSDS instructors. We all could learn a lot from them.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
I'm in, where do I sign up?
See Post #21.
Just make sure you are a current PCA instructor, also I am going to have an instructor sign up on the DE event, posted shortly. check check clubregistration.net for that and sign up as an instructor, it will be a wait list and will will give first shot to instructors who have signed up for the Mid-Ohio School.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm signed up. Registration for the DE opens tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I'm always up for bettering my own abilities and teaching. I enjoy both sides of the spectrum. If it is on Aug 27 - count me in plus the DE that weekend. I've never driven Mid Ohio before so really been wanting to run that track.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm with U4EEA - forget the semantics.. i am all for continued education. Take labels off if thats an issue.

Quick Reply: PCA Advanced Instructor Training program-proposed