Sponsored by:

Please Input on My VIR Laps

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Please Input on My VIR Laps

Finally I was able to get the necessary software (TrackVision, thank you Tony for great tool), so I can lay over my RacePak data. It makes a difference for sure, seeing how data plays dynamically and visually, makes it clearer on improvement areas.

I would appreciate any and all input/criticism in the following sequence of laps at VIR last weekend. It is not a perfect video, but I am still learning the intricacies of the tools. I know, at least, that I am coming off throttle was too early at the end of the straights, I'll work on that, but any other input would be much appreciated.

http://www.vimeo.com/10260612

Thank you all,
Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love watching track vids, especially with a nice data overlay!

I got no business telling anybody anything about driving, ever. But, to me it looks like you are early apexing and costing yourself exit speed. T1 and T10 are where I see it most.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:24 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My comments are are not line specific but throttle (I watched looking at the green throttle light)
- you are getting 1/2 out of the throttle past the tree on the front straight (hold it full until braking)
- i agree on too early turn in on #1
- you're on the throttle well before the apex of #3, to be fast into #3 you should be trail braking to the apex if not a little past
- after the uphill (7,8,9) you should be able to go WOT for a second into #10 and again trail brake to the apex of 10
- you do 11, 12 nicely
- on a few laps I noticed throttle into 14b (maybe you didn't get it quite right on those laps), but you should be braking continuously to apex of 14b
- you also seem to be going 1/2 throttle into #14 braking zone for at least a second (if you know you are doing this and have speed limited yourself then that is fine - you may also be doing this into #1)

paul
Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

+1 on everything Paul said. Because of the steep hill you can really go full throttle after 8, into 10. In order to carry your braking into 14b, come off track right a little and brake as you cross the track. Once you get comfortable with brake points for 1 and 14 your laps will be awesome, you do much of it very well. Those are fast straights, always best to err on the side of caution
Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice video of the track......

What group were you in.....?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When you enter the climbing esses, after the first left, stay a tad more left (just 1-2') and delay the right turn in. This adjusts the line going over the little hill so it's straighter and you can stay WOT when the car gets light.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i wish you could ride with me ... there are so many small places to fix ... so easily to fix... i would want to go into them here ... im sure it would create a huge debate... but i know what pretty much works..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

be glad to help...I have definitely helped quite a few 'Who" Knew the track...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
i wish you could ride with me ... there are so many small places to fix ... so easily to fix... i would want to go into them here ... im sure it would create a huge debate... but i know what pretty much works..
I will ride with you before the June CR.........

I never been to VIR....... do you think you can help me?.......
Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Thank you all for excellent comments, I greatly appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I love watching track vids, especially with a nice data overlay!
Same here Greg, I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope we get to run again together soon.

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
My comments are are not line specific but throttle (I watched looking at the green throttle light)
- you are getting 1/2 out of the throttle past the tree on the front straight (hold it full until braking)
- i agree on too early turn in on #1
- you're on the throttle well before the apex of #3, to be fast into #3 you should be trail braking to the apex if not a little past
- after the uphill (7,8,9) you should be able to go WOT for a second into #10 and again trail brake to the apex of 10
- you do 11, 12 nicely
- on a few laps I noticed throttle into 14b (maybe you didn't get it quite right on those laps), but you should be braking continuously to apex of 14b
- you also seem to be going 1/2 throttle into #14 braking zone for at least a second (if you know you are doing this and have speed limited yourself then that is fine - you may also be doing this into #1)

paul
I was certainly expecting the comments on the throttle application and T1 and T14 entry points, good observations, especially for T3, I need to come in faster and trail a little longer; thank you.

After watching a certain 20-year old drive a Cayman S (part of the Levitas family) in what I thought crazy way of driving coming up behind me last year, I tried his method in T1 and 14 with early entry, a shallow angle and hard on brakes trailing. After collecting data doing this and usual DE-line late entry/apex, and looking at data I found that coming at the same speed into T1 and having the same apex speed I was faster by 0.7 seconds just on the first half of the turn with early turn-in. Even though it is an increasing radius turn, I still lost ~0.1-0.2 secs on the exit for a net gain of half a second just on T1. This event, I improved that by another 0.5 seconds with higher entry speed (~135 vs. 130 mph). So, I think early entry with hard trail braking all the way to the apex is faster and safer. I am still getting used to speeds above 130, which was partly the reason I was starting to come off the throttle earlier than I should on T1 and 14, and before the uphill Ss.

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
+1 on everything Paul said. Because of the steep hill you can really go full throttle after 8, into 10. In order to carry your braking into 14b, come off track right a little and brake as you cross the track. Once you get comfortable with brake points for 1 and 14 your laps will be awesome, you do much of it very well. Those are fast straights, always best to err on the side of caution
Hello Kevin, it was great meeting you at VIR. We never got the chance to ride together, but I hope I am able execute your tip for hog pen. I know I am faster than before, but there is room to improve still in that section by a wide margin.

Again, because we had on/off rain, and more than few T1, 6 incidents, I was becoming uncomfortable with speeds over 130, so I artificially limited my self and came off throttle earlier at the end of the straights. I know, however, I should be able to go WOT to at least marker "5" on T1 and "1" on T14. First event of the season, I thought I should not push to limit and have few more events under me

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Nice video of the track......

What group were you in.....?
VIR is a fantastic track, you should try it for sure, I just love it. I am in white group Boston.

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
When you enter the climbing esses, after the first left, stay a tad more left (just 1-2') and delay the right turn in. This adjusts the line going over the little hill so it's straighter and you can stay WOT when the car gets light.
Thank you for the tip, although I cannot visualize quite right at this time, but I will certainly give it a try. There is this little hump on the later side of the apex of the first right turn that throws the car off on the wrong direction at those speeds for a fraction of the time, I need to unwind earlier, but your tip may also fix that sensation if it works in the way I think it will work

Believe me, I'd take your offer up any day 930man; can I be that lucky that you'll be at VIR with the First Settlers in May?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

be glad to help...I have definitely helped quite a few 'Who" Knew the track...
and you have corrupted a few along the way.....
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TedA

and you have corrupted a few along the way.....
Hmmmmm i Resemble that comment..... just a lil...

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I will ride with you before the June CR.........

I never been to VIR....... do you think you can help me?.......
absolutely.... should be able show ya what you need!

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Thank you all for excellent comments, I greatly appreciate it.

Believe me, I'd take your offer up any day 930man; can I be that lucky that you'll be at VIR with the First Settlers in May?
I will be there in May be glad to help in any way i can... just pick up my Bad habits and you will be fine!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

I will be there in May be glad to help in any way i can... just pick up my Bad habits and you will be fine!
Excellent, I'll seek you out there. You'll be there with the yellow GT3 or other?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
jenk12m
Banned

you should definitely ride with matt(930man)
Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmm i Resemble that comment..... just a lil...

Dude your bad habits are like crack.....werd...

Quick Reply: Please Input on My VIR Laps