Sponsored by:

Racing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomvroomboom
Hey I have a similar question and was wondering which would be better to start with, autocross or more of a track approach. I have done some amateur stuff and was thinking of trying some bigger and better things.
Some amateur stuff? What does that mean exactly? 98% of us here are amateurs..
Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey I have a similar question and was wondering which would be better to start with, autocross or more of a track approach. I have done some amateur stuff and was thinking of trying some bigger and better things.
These are good questions. I will defer to the collective wisdom that this community provides.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
These are good questions. I will defer to the collective wisdom that this community provides.
not sure there is better or worse - why not both
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Some amateur stuff? What does that mean exactly? 98% of us here are amateurs..
The other 2%, (me included) are worst than amateurs.......

But it is all about the fun and bragging rights......
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I have a similar question and was wondering which would be better to start with, autocross or more of a track approach.
Autocross, absolutely. It develops car control at a level that cannot be easily attained at the track. And without car control, you can never get right up to the limit, because if you go a little beyond it....... A couple of dozen autocrosses will put you light-years ahead of some one who just starts out at the track.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Others can answer better than I can, but I think a lot of this comes down to seat time on a road course at speed. Start in Green and learn the basics. Once you are in White (our chapter goes Green, Yellow, Yellow Solo, White, Black), you probably have the skill set you need in order to compete. I can remember the day at Watkins Glen when I had the "big change" (don't know what else to call it). It was the moment when everything went from the nervous conscious into the relaxed subconscious. Instead of looking for every marker, they all blended together. Almost like autopilot. Once that happened, when unexpected things would happen on the track, like the spin Bill did at LRP where Victor and I had to do a quick dance to avoid hitting him, there was no elevation of heart rate, we just automatically knew exactly what to do, avoided the crash, and went on like nothing happened.

I would think that once you were that comfortable in a hot car on a race track that whatever might come your way in racing would be second nature to resolve. To get there will take some work and lots of seat time, but that's what programs like PCA DE are all about - learning things like vehicle dynamics. Another helpful factor is a car that is set up well...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Autocross, absolutely. It develops car control at a level that cannot be easily attained at the track. And without car control, you can never get right up to the limit, because if you go a little beyond it....... A couple of dozen autocrosses will put you light-years ahead of some one who just starts out at the track.
Yup. Agree. Maybe a few less than a couple dozen. And spend as much time as you can on a skid pad.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiles42
So i am new to the whole racing thing and this seems like the best place to start and was wondering where to really start I mean I have heard of like racing clubs like the one in San Franciso and individual events like Red Line Time Attack but I'm not really sure where to start. Thanks for any advice!
Karting. Get a 100+ CC 2-stroke kart and race it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Wiles42
Track Day

Thanks guys I have done a bit of go kart racing but it seems like they won't transfer over to the track. I definitely will try and find someone to drive with me and teach me the ropes. And what is the skid pad? Sorry im kinda confused about this. And thanks for all the great advice
Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Barfly
Racer

Thanks guys I have done a bit of go kart racing but it seems like they won't transfer over to the track.
Could not disagree more. Suspension or not, the principles are the same.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Vroomvroomboom
AutoX

Thanks guys I have done a bit of go kart racing but it seems like they won't transfer over to the track. I definitely will try and find someone to drive with me and teach me the ropes. And what is the skid pad? Sorry im kinda confused about this. And thanks for all the great advice
Here is an easy way to get track time for free. If you don't get the tickets you could also get some other stuff too.

http://www.facebook.com/RedlineTimeA...8362724&ref=nf
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Here is an easy way to get track time for free. If you don't get the tickets you could also get some other stuff too.

http://www.facebook.com/RedlineTimeA...8362724&ref=nf
Seems to be a dead link..
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autocross....if budget is tight....most bang for the buck. From my experience, again, budget being a key factor, the next step is karts, or DE. Karts are great, tremendous camaraderie. Years ago, running a National at Road America, I blew a motor and my competitor insisted I use his spare for the race.

Autocross will tell you a lot and it will provide tremendous rewards for very little investment.

my 2 cents....
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Start with 2 million dollars.
Race until you have 1 million dollars left.
Quit and condiser yourself ahead.

Yes I wish I had done this both with motorcycles for 30 years and with offshore boats. I could have had a pretty solid Porsche with all that money !
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will give you a different answer, BOTH. get as much seat time as you can. Auto x is good cheap learning and not a big expenditure of time or money, but if your hungry you will want more. This is an addiction you are playing with so, get to it. Road course experience is also necessary but different. we try to unlearn some of our Auto X habits of quick hands on a road course, so by doing both maybe you can get up on the learning curve. If you have money to spend take some lessons. But by all means, Just do it.

Quick Reply: Racing Advice