Sponsored by:

Milka & Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm guessing Landjet would be faster than Danica though.
If she was on a bike and I was in my turbo, then yes, I would be faster than Danika.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Simona is a very good racer, give her time and a good team and i think she may outshine Danica. But then we may get to see Danica in playboy so she has all of the press, mmm danica in playboy, i am still thinking if i want to see that or not.
I rolled up to Thunderhill to work on the cars about one year ago when they (Frankie Muniz aka Malcom In The Middle) were testing. Supposedly the day before she set the outright record there, something like 1:32. Silly me, I didn't even know what Stargate World was so I didn't bother to go over and say hi.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I didn't say race, I said get recognition. Two different things. I hope all of the attention (media and otherwise) Silvestro gets is soley based on driving talent, and not fhm spreads and such.
Not two different things. Recognition and marketability is critical to being a successful racer today. Danica is a sponsor's and a car owner's dream. She's a cash generating machine.

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm sure she would be faster than I am, but that's not saying much. I'm also pretty sure that there are a number of non-pro's who frequent this forum that could out drive Milka.
I'm not so sure. Maybe Pat Kelly, Corey Freidman?

Originally Posted by trackjunky
For anyone that raced SuperKarts! in the late '90's, you would have seen guys like Joey Hand, Memo Gidley, Damon Meek, Alex Baron, Scott Speed, AJ Almondinger and a host of others. Guys like Ron White are still struggling to get noticed but he doesn't have deep pockets or big sponsors.

I've know quite a few folks that were lights out fast, but they never make it out of the local karting club because they don't have the $$$$. Sometimes the best drivers are not always the one's in the top series, but the ones able to secure sponsorship.
All very true. Like I said, these days you need to be the total package.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Got Milka ?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not two different things. Recognition and marketability is critical to being a successful racer today. Danica is a sponsor's and a car owner's dream. She's a cash generating machine.

What are you talking about man? Some people actually get attention by WINNING and ALL of there respect and recognition is from the track, endorsements actually come AFTER they win.

You can't hardly say that Danica's name recognition is for the same reason as Dale Earnhardt. But you can compare their name recognition.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone see the rookie chic named Simona De Silvestro out qualify and out run Danica for part of the race in Brazil? I sure hope that girl turns out to be the anti-Danica, recognized purely based on driving talent. She placed third in formula atlantic last year.

She qualified 11th (vs 13th for Danica) in her first Indycar race. Without all the hype.
She would have taken the championship if she wasn't taken out by someone who thought he was Zanardi in the last race at LS. She probably wouldn't have won that race, but I believe she just needed to be in the top 4 and she had that easily...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm sure she would be faster than I am, but that's not saying much. I'm also pretty sure that there are a number of non-pro's who frequent this forum that could out drive Milka.
I'd like a shot at it. At least I would try to not smash the car.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

FWIW WIKI
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
If she was on a bike and I was in my turbo, then yes, I would be faster than Danika.
I dono she might be able to make up time on you in the corners.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
She would have taken the championship if she wasn't taken out by someone who thought he was Zanardi in the last race at LS. She probably wouldn't have won that race, but I believe she just needed to be in the top 4 and she had that easily...
This is the case where sadly she was taken out on lap one by someone not contending the champioship -- sad for her since she led the points most of the year.

Simona is quite talented!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

What are you talking about man? Some people actually get attention by WINNING and ALL of there respect and recognition is from the track, endorsements actually come AFTER they win.

You can't hardly say that Danica's name recognition is for the same reason as Dale Earnhardt. But you can compare their name recognition.
Nice theory but last year there were six winners in Indycar. So only six drivers should get recognition and sponsorship dollars? It's going to get pretty quiet out there.

Like her or not Danica finished in the top 5 five times and finished 5th in the points. That's in a series with some pretty amazing drivers. Does she get a lot of extra attention because she's a woman. Sure. Big deal. The downside is there is always a mic in her face and if you've ever raced you know the best time to be commenting is not when you just get out of a car all heated up and full of adrenalin.

Danica is a great race car driver. Probably one of the 10 best American born drivers racing today. Being a woman has opened some doors for her but she, in turn, is opening them for drivers like Simona.

Just my 2 cents. I also like Alonso!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Danica is definitely a solid, good, pro driver. I’m not sure I would put her in the 10-best American drivers though, but that can be debated all day long. She certainly justifies her place in IRL though.

Her last season was a model of consistency, racking up points in most races. What really impressed was that she was on balance the strongest in the team, over Tony Kanaan and Marco.

Having said that, I think Tony had a sub-par season for a variety of reasons, and maybe this year he will come more to the fore. But beating Tony K, even when he is having a so-so season is nothing to sniff at.

Simona may ultimately eclipse Danica, as her resume looks a little more solid than Danica’s did at that same stage in her career. But time will tell, not every phenom coming up the ranks is able to translate it into a sustainable pro career for all sorts of reasons.

As for Milka… fascinating as she really is too slow to justify her seat on a sporting basis. But I know she could drive circles around me.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably one of the 10 best American born drivers racing today....
I doubt it.
Most of the 10 best American born drivers are names many would not recognize.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Ohhhh - that's where I recognize her name from. Yeah, that was a shame, she should have taken the championship.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amjf088
Danica is definitely a solid, good, pro driver. I’m not sure I would put her in the 10-best American drivers though, but that can be debated all day long. She certainly justifies her place in IRL though.
I'm not sure I could name 5 that have proven to be better on both ovals and road courses. Tony Stewart? Scott Speed? Maybe Ryan Hunter-Reay. Jimmie Johnson and a couple of other NASCAR guys would probably be but they haven't poven it? Hand and Auberlin are great but you saw VR's post about Danica in the BMW. Pruett? Maybe 15 years ago. Patrick Long? I don't think so but maybe. Me? I barely crack the top 20.

Originally Posted by ltc
I doubt it.
Most of the 10 best American born drivers are names many would not recognize.
Maybe but I don't think it counts until they've proven they can make the leap from a kart to a race car.

Quick Reply: Milka & Porsche