Boxster Spyder article in Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder article in Excellence

I was intrigued to read that a manual tranny Boxster Spyder outran a PDK equipped Cayman S at Laguna Seca. It was almost a second faster around the course. You would think that with the faster shifting PDK and the stiffer body of the Cayman, the results would have been reversed.

As the owner of a Boxster S track car, who loves the mid engine layout and often wonders if the Cayman S wouldn't be the better option for my DE hobby, I found this article intriguing.

Is the body stiffness issue over-rated in terms of track performance, or does the differential have more to do with the slight weight difference and slightly different contact patch (wheels are slightly wider in Spyder) between these two cars?

BTW, is there a better car mag than Excellence? I don't think so.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

mark,
spyder is 100-150 lbs if not more, lighter than cayman s.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Plus the driver may have been better..

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't received mine yet. What times? Always funny to compare magazine stuff to what we're actually doing there. (I get that they're factory as-delivered, but it's easy enough to extrapolate.)
Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't go over 120 mph or the top will blow off!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Spyder fans: Stuttgart showroom floor

Saw this one 2 weeks ago on the showroom floor in Stuttgart.

Really like those seats.
Attached Images      
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
mark,
spyder is 100-150 lbs if not more, lighter than cayman s.
176 lbs lighter. That amount of weight can make an entire second/lap difference eh?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Plus the driver may have been better..

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Same guy drove both cars back to back.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
176 lbs lighter. That amount of weight can make an entire second/lap difference eh?
no, that wt delta at most 1 sec at LS.
i was just saying that's one of the factors.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,

FWIW when I was at the rollout in LA for the Spyder I was told that this car consistantly topped the Cayman S times in testing. And with the PDK and weight loss I can believe the second difference.

And Octane is at least as good as Excellance.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

The weight reduction, ten extra hp AND a signficantly more aggessive suspension (different springs, dampers and roll bars etc) do add up to quite a list of paper advantages to throw against the stiffer bodyshell of the Cayman & PDK. I would have been surprised (and disappointed) if it had turned out the other way.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was he talking about Rennlist when he said GT2/GT3 web forums were raving about it in 10 pages thread?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The author seemed to indicate that the suspension and weight loss made most of the difference. Sounds like the suspension received benefits from experience with new approach on GT2 and GT3 which they also loved.

Now lets see those changes on the Caymen with PDK and ... what, another 1-1.5 sec gain?

Last edited by Jim W; 03-14-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I haven't received mine yet. What times? Always funny to compare magazine stuff to what we're actually doing there. (I get that they're factory as-delivered, but it's easy enough to extrapolate.)
Hey Ken,

Cars were both as delivered by Porsche, and an alignment similar to the Spyder's probably would have been a big help in the Cayman, as it had noticeably more understeer, and especially into T9. Both cars had LSD and LW seats, but there the similarities end (18s vs. 19s, PDK vs. stick) — so a perfect comparison it wasn't. We weren't going to pass up the chance to do *A* comparison, however, because independent information didn't exist. With JvO unavailable, we asked local SCCA champ David Ray to set our times, and he was running consistent 1:44-1:45s. I was roughly two seconds off his times (I'm a road tester, not a racer), and don't yet respect my times or consistency enough to let them stand as representative. I suspect a top-flight pro (read Pobst, Henzler, etc.) would be a quicker still, but David had enough speed and consistency to net valid, relevant times.

I was surprised to see the heavily optioned (A/C, radio, leather, etc.) open Spyder beat the closed Cayman S PDK. Then again, the Cayman's narrower wheels were a handicap — and PDK's advantages must be weighed against its 66-pound penalty, which comes entirely at the rear of the 987. While I suspect most if not all drivers will be faster around a race track with PDK, few discuss its weight penalty.

I wish the two cars' specs had been closer, but all of this is discussed/weighed in the issue — and I hope the info within is useful. My takeaway was that the Spyder's suspension setup was superior on track (though not a track setup), yielding a sharper car. Even so, the Cayman felt more "track appropriate" as a closed car somehow — this side of real race cars and prototypes anyway. And I'm one of those guys who don't get bashing open cars.

Thus, on the street and for the money, I'd take a Spyder every time. For the track, a combination of a Spyder-like chassis and the Cayman body -- with a 3.6 or 3.8 -- would be, well...

pete
Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks.

So all-in-all, we're talking 2 sec/lap quicker than my 140K RS America with some handmedown Bilsteins, springs of unknown manufacture, decent brake pads, and Toyo RA1's.

1 sec/min of lap time is meaningless outside of competitive, timed events. But as you've noted, there's sure a world of difference in how each feels when accomplishing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder article in Excellence