Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried to import a race car from Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
OK, after reading your other thread I have a couple questions.
Was it built into a race car in the US or Canada?
Does the current owner have the bill of sale or import records from when the car was bought in the US and brought into Canada?
Could it be brought back into compliance with EPA and DOT standards, even temporarily? (Might not matter if it was built into a race car in the US)
At this point I'm pretty much giving up on this car for a number of reasons, one of which being just getting it across the border. But anyway, the car was built in the U.S. then taken to Canada. Current owner just has a bill of sale, no title. Definitely can't meet any US standards since it's a full-on race car.

Just for the archives, it seems that a car like this may not be defined as a "motor vehicle" and thus not subject to NHTSA standards. Dunno if that's sufficient to clear Customs or not. Nor have I seen anything official stating that... so I would want an individualized clearance letter to be safe, which would likely take a while. One thing's for sure, don't screw with Customs. I wouldn't dream of being "selective with the truth" with them. My findings:

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/7271-2.html
NHTSA has authority to regulate the manufacture and sale of new motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment. The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Safety Act) defines "motor vehicle" as one "manufactured primarily for use on the public streets, roads, and highways... ."

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/3080o.html
Under l5 U.S.C. 1391(3), a "motor vehicle" is "any vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power manufactured primarily for use on the public streets, roads, and highways...." The agency has interpreted this definition to exclude such vehicles as minibikes, golf carts, all-terrain vehicles, single seat racing cars used on closed courses, airport crash and rescue vehicles, and farm tractors. On the other hand, the agency has included in the definition farm trailers which haul produce over the public roads to processing centers, stock cars modified for racing unless such modifications are so extensive that the vehicle can no longer be licensed for use on the public roads, and vehicles capable of use both on rails and the public roads.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/2649o.html
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act defines a "motor vehicle" as a vehicle, with or without motive power, manufactured primarily for use on the public streets, roads, and highways. This category includes vehicles capable of off-road use but which are nevertheless generally licensed for use on the public roads. Over the years, NHTSA has provided interpretations that the following types of vehicles are not "motor vehicles": single seat racing cars, stock cars modified to the point that they are no longer licensable for use on the public roads, all-terrain vehicles, racing motorcycles and off-road motorcycles that are trailered over the public roads, ...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, don't bother, just leave it here in my garage

c.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

BTW, here's the requirements for racing vehicles, requiring destruction after 5 yrs. To me, this doesn't square AT ALL with the comments from NHTSA above that a permanently-built race car is exempt from NHTSA requirements. Makes zero sense to me.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...ng/Racing.html
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If you read the section NHTSA section you refer to there are two seperate ways to import, one is permanent, and the other one is temporary, it is the temporary import that would make you export or distroy the car after five years, not so if it is permanent, you just can't ever register it for the street.

If I have a title I still don't know why anyone would even ask or have the right to keep you from bringing it into the country. Are you telling me if I want to take my unregistered car up to mosport for a race I can't bring it back? To take cars into mexico you need to show you own the car and you have mexico liablity insurance because you are driving it on the road, but a boat or sandrail only needs to show the ownership, and nobody ever checks comming back into the US...maybe they're more particular with the canadians, ya know, sneaking in all that beer and hockey pucks...

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried to import a race car from Canada?