Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
Have to believe that other teams already have something similar and those that don't have been working feverishly on one for the past two weeks.
Much like last year's double diffuser "jump" that Brawn et. al. had on the rest of the field, the restrictions regarding on track testing (and IIRC CFD/wind tunnel testing) will make the time required to 'copy and paste' into their cars a rather lengthy process, especially when you consider they are already planning/scheduling in season (aero) updates.

If this all plays out as expected.....

A McLaren, with superior aerodynamics, a Mercedes engine and a setup that is kind to its tires and a well drilled pit crew.....game over.

Hey Luca, sleeping well at night lately?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do we think that because Ferarri "asked for clarification" that they may have something similar but didn't think it was legal?

I would have expected a much more aggressive reaction if Ferrari felt this would put McLaren in a class by itself.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But didn't Mclaren have this wing for the testing, at which point everyone was putting Ferrari 1&2 on the podium all season based on the testing and bragging by Alonso and Ferrari? Mclaren sandbagging?

I'd bet people have mockups of this design by at the latest the second race.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,567 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
do we think that because Ferarri "asked for clarification" that they may have something similar but didn't think it was legal?

I would have expected a much more aggressive reaction if Ferrari felt this would put McLaren in a class by itself.
Red Bull initiated the inquiry followed by Ferrari. My guess is that they knew what it was and the speedtrap does not lie as to it's performance.

It's cheaper to protest than build one yourself. If the protest worked, then not a big dea and no need to develope one yourselfl, but the fact they didn't protest and only asked for a "clarification" meant they knew McLaren had something special.

As a Ferrari fan, it's the right call. Kudos to Mclaren for developing something unique which gives them a huge advantage. Everyone else is probably in the autoclaves working away.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,567 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
But didn't Mclaren have this wing for the testing, at which point everyone was putting Ferrari 1&2 on the podium all season based on the testing and bragging by Alonso and Ferrari? Mclaren sandbagging?

I'd bet people have mockups of this design by at the latest the second race.
McLaren always has sandbagged. They work on specific sectors and only show their truth speed on occasion. This testing season was no different.

I'm sure others have mock designs, but not enough time to test. It's no different from last year when Brawn had the double diffuser. Sure you can look at it and try and copy it, but it's different when you use it on track to get the right aero balance.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

At this point I don't care, we'll all know for sure in the next 3 days where everyone stands.

I'm going to (try to) stay up just to watch Live Timing I'm so excited.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

The moveable air outlet, fixed wing is brilliant. If this thing really works, hooray for them. Can't wait til Saturday!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So we've got Red Bull w/ a Newey chassis, bound to be pretty good, Ferrari who has apparently done an excellent job on their diffuser work, aided by the engine's mounting angle, and Mclaren with this new system. Am I the only one that thinks that, at least for the beginning for the year, that the team with the advantage is going to change from weekend to weekend?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

The BBC interviewed Renault's team boss Bob Bell this morning during and he was furious with Charlie Whiting for allowing McLaren's wing legal. According to Bell the wing goes against the agreement to cut costs and will result in a new arms race. He said that teams will protest the results this weekend if McLaren scores points and that it will be much more difficult for other teams to recreate this later in the season since they will have to pretty much build a new chassis around it, crash test it, etc. He was pissed!

Christian Horner on the other hand was not as worried about it and said that the wing stall isn't anywhere near the double diffuser controversy as last year.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
The BBC interviewed Renault's team boss Bob Bell this morning during and he was furious with Charlie Whiting for allowing McLaren's wing legal. According to Bell the wing goes against the agreement to cut costs and will result in a new arms race. He said that teams will protest the results this weekend if McLaren scores points and that it will be much more difficult for other teams to recreate this later in the season since they will have to pretty much build a new chassis around it, crash test it, etc. He was pissed!

Christian Horner on the other hand was not as worried about it and said that the wing stall isn't anywhere near the double diffuser controversy as last year.
I think it's a great advancement that meets the letter of the rules (it's clearly not a movable device). Good for McLaren....
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah to innovation and development.

But oh-lordy let's not go thru the political BS again like last year.

IMHO, so far anyway...., the difference from Brawn/RedBull in 2009 is that they never asked permission, but that Mclaren/Ferrari did ask regarding the diffuser wing. McLaren/Ferrari were denied. When Brawn/RedBull showed up with it, all hell broke loose. FIA rules 4 or 5 races later that wing was OK. As long as another team wasn't denied approval for a similar mod/innovation, then its all good....and kudos to McLaren for figuring it out first!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Well, coming from Renault, a team of the highest moral standards regarding the integrity of the sport of F1.....
Old 03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve Matchet made an interesting point on what teams are facing to incorporate a similar wing stall approach. The McLaren design incorporates an air inlet scoop on the cowl in front of the driver. Adding an inlet means cutting a hole, and cutting a hole in an existing monocoque means re-qualifying the tub through FIA crash testing. On this basis, it may not be as easy for other teams to catch up on the McLaren wing stall innovation as it was to catch up on the double diffuser idea last season.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not McLaren fan, but F1 racing is about innovation and chassis design.

It was never meant to be cheap or fair. What part of "each team must run a chassis of their own design and construction" sounds cheap or fair?

This is WHY F1 is so special. Now if McLaren runs the table all year long with this then fine. 3rd and 4th in each race is still up for grabs.

Quick Reply: FIA declares McLaren wing "LEGAL"