Sponsored by:

Motorcross helmet FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Motorcross helmet FAQ?

Is there such a thing? Im a total newb who wants to DE for the first time this summer.

Im reading conflicting info on the various sites such as SA2000 is ok in one place but on sa2005 only will work in another.. etc.

whats the diff between a bike and motor-cross helmets that are both sa2000 or 2005 rated?

whats the "expiration time" on undamaged helmets? I was offered an arai gp5 sa2000 from 2002 to use for my first DE but again, conflicting info on age acceptability : some placed say its way old others say 10 years is fine.

thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, it's Motocross. Those helmets are designed for impacts and don't have any fireproofing whatsoever. They also feature visors and things for mud protection and are intended to be worn with goggles. It's a different sport. Get a car racing helmet.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We had a representative from one of the helmet / safety gear makers come to a PCA meeting a few years back and he explained how Motorcycle helmets were designed very differently from Auto Racing helmets. Different types of impacts. Motorcycle helments might be designed for abrasion (ie: You fall and take many hits to the head, scrape along, etc.), while Road Racing helmets might be designed for very quick and hard impacts (ie: You hit the wall and it might be just 1 really big hit).

2005 approved helmets are out now and I don't believe the 2010s will be out until fall. They are typically good for 10 years. So one of my 2000 helmets can be used this season, but once the 2010 is released, I have to hang it up.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

google returns a boat load of ATV/Quad/Snowmobile type helmets for "motocross helmet"... whats the proper term for these?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There's SA2005 (auto) and MA2005 (other) - that's all I know of.

http://www.soloracer.com/m2005helmets.html

Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

Key differences between M and SA Rated Helmets (from Snell website):
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

Good Snell site showing how helmets are tested:
http://www.smf.org/testing.html

Quick Reply: Motorcross helmet FAQ?