Nitto NT01s

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Nitto NT01s

Does anyone have feedback of driving NTO1s in the rain.... May have to this weekend and want to know what to expect!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

shaved = not fun
tread = awesome
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
shaved = not fun
tread = awesome
Thanks Sean, meant the Nittos, forgot what I ended up with.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

ignore my comment - only have RA1 experience
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T Roy check with Alex B, he did the NASA comp school last year in a downpour using them...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall they do not recommend them in the rain they do not have much tread to channel the water away. The R888 is supposed to be made of same compound and Nitto was or is still made by Toyo. Nitto is decent dry tire and damp track but not so good in a downpour
Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
sig_a
Pro

I've run NT-01 in light rain and thoroughly wet track at Mid Ohio. They hung in there better than expected. A real value $$ wet or dry.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Not so bad in the rain. Really the same reaction as the RA-1. I liked more the NT-05 for the rain.http://www.tunerzine.com/news/150/nt05.jpg
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

NT-01's have a somewhat larger treadblock than RA-1's so the wet performance is a little degraded from the RA-1. I have tried both and that is what I found. Wasn't terrible at full tread regardless
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

"We are here at the track, there has been a ton of rain. Don't miss or want PSAM one bit. Don't need it. Even with our dry set up. Full stiff dry set up. It is so exciting that we did not change a darn thing with the set up, just went out through the mud, rivers, and washes. The day was stopped so that a water truck could rinse the mud flow off of turn 5 and a pumper to drain sections."

"The grip of the Nitto NT01 in the wet is phenomenal. It was kinda funny to watch folks come over looking confused at the R compounds."

The Nitto NT-01s have worked fine on wet track days plus driving home in the rain after track day no problems.

They work for us---

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe cause I'm a noob, but I have twice now had to drive long distances in the rain on my NT-01's. Once from Macon to Atlanta and the other from Perry to Atlanta. I felt as though 20 mph was too much speed. The rear end was barely getting any grip going up interstate grades. I ended up driving in the right hand lane with the hazards on and puckered up for the entire distance in relatively light rain. I need a trailer...soon. JMHO.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 AM
jenk12m
Banned

is there rain in the forecast for VIR this weekend
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right!

Originally Posted by TedA
T Roy check with Alex B, he did the NASA comp school last year in a downpour using them...
And they sucked! Bought Hoosier Wets the next week and have yet to use them...but I am ready when it does rain. As for running in a DE they are probably the same as Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
Does anyone have feedback of driving NTO1s in the rain.... May have to this weekend and want to know what to expect!
There was a Mini running NT01 in the wet at PIR this past weekend.

Car was instanely fast. Faster than vipers, 911's etc. (the viper had proper rain tires on it)

The car normally run in NASA PTB so has good hp, but the NT01, combined with FWD and strong driver was impossible to beat.

By contrast I ran fresh 4/32 shaved RA-1 and they were also good in varried conditions from wet, to standing water, to a drying track.

I believe NT01 will be fine in the rain. However you need to realize you will have NO GRIP. Just like everyone else except that many will have even less. I went out in wet when it first started to rain. The was no water anywhere, but the track surface was wet. In conditions like this a slick would work fine if there was heat in it.

Well grip was horrible all around. Even with 135 whp I could not put power down at all and the car was slindig all over the place. Normal lap time would have been a 1:13-1:14 and the best I could do was 1:24.7. Really horrible... Until I compared to the rest of the cars an realized I was 3 quick for entire run group which included all the race cars out there. From Vipers to 3.6 911SC to BMW M3's etc.

So despite my car being on ice the entire session I had more grip than most. Then qualfying was run in an downpower with standing water at every apex and full out river at one part of the track where you could not avoid hydroplaning. Again grip was bad, but I made rear sway bar adjustment and soldiered on. By the end of qualy I ran 1:28.4. However that was 3 seconds faster than the next guy in class and 2nd fastest overall only behind the aforementioned Mini. (he ran 1:23 or something).

So again I had no grip, but again more than most.

Point is that grip will stink in the rain, but just deal with it. A RA-1, R888 or NT01 will be fine in the wet if it has some tread left and even nearly slick will be fine if there is little water on the track other then a damp surface. Just don't expect them to stick worth a damn.... Then again nobodies tire will either.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bella1
And they sucked! Bought Hoosier Wets the next week and have yet to use them...but I am ready when it does rain. As for running in a DE they are probably the same as Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires.
Thanks didn't want to say it, just point T Roy in the right direction...I will never forget you and Don in the Comp School downpour...or you just saying eff it the first race day.....

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01s