Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of Chatterbox

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty simple.............make sure they are properly fitted in the paddock, not on track.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it were that easy, as soon as the head is turned the ear piece moves. I have a product that works, ear buds not convenient, then get the ear piece that simply slide into place and then plug into the the mic. It is all part of the helmet kit. Cheap it is not, but you buy it once and it lasts for years and years. and the quality can't be beat! contact me if you are interested.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
And those pissy little wires that the students yank out by pulling the damn thing out of the helmet...lost two student headsets this past weekend. Thanks to Kathy P and Dan for lending me theirs.
I have been tinkering with a flat webing like ribbon that sticks down from the ear piece and out the bottom of the helmet. It would give direction in placing the ear piece in the right direction (speaker > ear) and something for the student to pull on rather than the easy to break wire or mike. You canget webbing that is a flat tube and I plan to slide the wire inside the webbing.

The other problem I have noted is the moulded plastic around the plugs tends to be too big and makes the conectors hard to push all the way into the chaterbox. A little shave with a knife fixes that.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Its 2010 and Chatterbox still sells a device that has no charge light and a charger that doesn't go into trickle charge mode. Per their OWN staff, the only way to properly charge one is to FULLY discharge so you can fully charge for a timed 4 hours. This is 2010 - I have a $40 dust buster with more sophisticated electronics.

I don't mind the delicate Mic's, but thats because I have the Mic cord on the student headset double-looped with gaffer's tape to protect the connection when the cord is pulled on.

Bad design annoys me.

Rick - If you don't like ChatterBox now, you'll have even less fun using BlueTooth on the track.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
dew-e
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take two zip ties and zip tie the cord to the boom mic. I also give the student mic/ear piece to the student in the morning and tell them to keep it all weekend. This way they can put it on as they are putting their helmet on before they come to pick me up. I tell them to grab the cord and boom mic together at the same time when they are trying to remove it. Or better yet, just leave it on and take off the entire helmet with the communicator still in the helmet.

This has usually resolved any issues with the student not being able to get it to stay in position. Most of my novice students have had newer helmets that have little pockets to hold the ear piece.

I also bought one of the cord extenders. This way when I get into the car I can tell the student to wrap the cord back behind the seat, or find some way to route the cord between us so that it isn't getting in the way of them shifting. Most of the time I don't even think about the cords once we get going on track.

I did have a problem with one of the permanent in helmet setups and had to go back to using one of the student style ear pieces for my helmet. Pretty sure I wrapped the wire to tight and now the connector is really difficult to get it to stay connected. The students can hear me, but I can't hear them is what happens when the connector comes loose.

Other than that one instructor in helmet piece failing, my unit has worked really well. I just throw it on a the charger the night before an event, and periodically through the weekend during the event, and I've never had problems. I do plan on buying a spare battery soon as I expect the one in the unit will be failing soon as it is a couple of years old now. A charge light would be great. My unit has a light on it, but I've never seen it light up, not sure what it is for.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I always give my student the student headphone set up for the entire day as I certainly have enough of them. My problem had been "stereo headphones" in my helmet and I've replaced them twice.....but this is 2010 and there has to be a better way. I'm now using ear buds and microphone using the IMSA adapter I purchased from RL, but students invariably, let the microphone drop below their mouth so I can't hear them.

Quick Reply: Tired of Chatterbox