Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upside Down In A Lemon's Race....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
is this a quiz, or do you really know the specifics of what happened?

No direct knowledge, just my perceptions from viewing the really stupid stuff unfolding inside that car. Besides the lack of a Hans type device, he wasn't in a containment seat as witnessed by his head snapping around. Most important, I believe his right shoulder harness either wasn't propery snapped in and came loose, or it was loose to begin with and came off his shoulder. That would have been responsible for his head hitting the front cage member. I think the first strap flying around you see is just the long tail from that shoulder strap.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compression fractures are pretty common when you unbuckle when upside down and drop all your body weight on your mellon holder.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Compression fractures are pretty common when you unbuckle when upside down and drop all your body weight on your mellon holder.
Hard to see clearly, but it appears to me his right shoulder belt was off from beginning of his upside down slide. I can't imagine he released it that early but who knows....
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I see a bunch of less-than-smart assclowns who can't drive in wheel to wheel racing, with cars that drive and sound like they're worth $500, wearing foam collars instead of a H&N restraint, with no fire system.
I see a bunch of adults making a decision to participate in something legal and having a lot of fun. I hope your point is that people understand the danger going in because there is this concept called "personal responsibility"...

Greg H.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Agreed. It seems unlikely he had a broken neck from the way he extricated himself from the car.
You'd be amazed what you can do with a "broken neck", was on the XRay table for over an hour when I finally asked the guy WTF? He asked me when was the first time I broke my neck and I had to answer I did not know I ever had. Finally remembered that I had lost a good deal of neck movement after an accident many years before but I did regain full mobility of my neck after the 2nd one.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Nothing of real value comes from racing regardless of how hard you work to counter risk. Lives are not saved, hungry babies are not fed, no one is sheltered from storm from racing. Time, effort, money and far more is spent to see who can get back to point A the fastest. At the end of the day nothing is gained for humanity. Racing is jousting, it is a method of measure, it is who can **** up the tree the highest. All racing has risk and with that all racers in all venues are VR's ***-clowns if you take risk without gain for humanity as stupid. We race for fun or money or to see who is above the crease and who only pissed on his own shoes. The day there was a second male human was the first day we started measuring ourselves.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,392 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I see a bunch of adults making a decision to participate in something legal and having a lot of fun. I hope your point is that people understand the danger going in because there is this concept called "personal responsibility"...

Greg H.

Certainly, and I really don't care what they do in their spare time. However, the OP asked for our opinions & observations. When people willingly race wheel to wheel is such pieces of crap, with pathetic safety equipment (especially on their bodies), and revel in crashing, they have better expect to be hurt. The clown in the video is lucky he didn't get a basal skull fracture. And if he had, $10 says his next of kin would have sued the organizers. How's THAT for personal responsibility?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was that noise when he went into the first corner? Sounds like the exhaust was coming off.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Certainly, and I really don't care what they do in their spare time. However, the OP asked for our opinions & observations. When people willingly race wheel to wheel is such pieces of crap, with pathetic safety equipment (especially on their bodies), and revel in crashing, they have better expect to be hurt. The clown in the video is lucky he didn't get a basal skull fracture. And if he had, $10 says his next of kin would have sued the organizers. How's THAT for personal responsibility?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
IMHO an organized race that doesn't require the use of a Hans is asking to be sued.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg H.

Greg H.
Roger that! Gotta say this looks like a lot of fun.
Lookit: Safety is highly relative. Take a look at these videos from the 'golden age' of sports car racing, and tell me who is safer, the guy in the Ferrari 375MM, or our rollover victim?
http://thechicaneblog.com/page/3/ Torrey Pines video
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Looked at the video. I think the belts were in place, I see a tail flaping around. Agree foam ring is useless in cars. The driver might have been holding his helmet up and keeping his belts in place with his arms while sliding along upside down hence the hand to the face. Cage did its thing, roof did not intrude, Driver calmly unlatched his belts, held himself up to prevent a head jam and got out in seconds after the car came to a stop. (did not even hear the PCA, POC, NASA and SCCA required "S**T!" or first alt "Fock!") I don't see how a track side first responder could have gotten to him in the time it took for him to get out considering that traffic was still moving. Far to short a time for a fire truck to get to him unless it was parked track side at the accdent as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why the following cars STOPPED on track. I did not see a red flag from the camera car, but he sure stopped along with a few others. I would be very concerned about getting plowed into.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
..And did he cover up his face because of glass, or the steam from the coolant?
Probably to protect his eyes from all the crap flying around and up off the road his roof was grinding as his visor was not down.

Marc
Old 03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Probably to protect his eyes from all the crap flying around and up off the road his roof was grinding as his visor was not down.

Marc
Or to hold his neck after that initial jolt he took....
Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Now that I've read the FAQ, I want to do this. I'm down for Laguna or Thunderhill in August. If you're interested, PM me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upside Down In A Lemon's Race....