Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a monetary investment.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

donor car + 30k MINIMUM, and there is no upper end to that.
napleton cars are 110k, when it's ready to ship to you.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Dude, did you just call me a Filipino???
Lol
Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought that when cayman cup first ran in Europe that the engines were failing left and right? Was that the older engine? I thought I remembered it being a crazy high failure rate.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
donor car + 30k MINIMUM, and there is no upper end to that.
napleton cars are 110k, when it's ready to ship to you.
Sounds Right.

One thing that I don't understand given that it basically costs the same to convert any Porsche into a racecar as the add-ons are literally the same: Cage, wheels, kill switch, gutting, shocks, suspension, fire system, seats, harnesses, net, radio, etc, etc...., is why don't choose the BEST platform to start with?

The cost of the donor is just a fraction of the final cost. Why do some people choose to start with older/lesser cars? Instead of newer / better platforms...
Feels like building a Mansion in a bad location. Can only understand for the shop owners that have sunk cost on their (or their mechanics) time and sunk cost of the most parts already liying around...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgomez
Sounds Right.

One thing that I don't understand given that it basically costs the same to convert any Porsche into a racecar as the add-ons are literally the same: Cage, wheels, kill switch, gutting, shocks, suspension, fire system, seats, harnesses, net, radio, etc, etc...., is why don't choose the BEST platform to start with?

The cost of the donor is just a fraction of the final cost. Why do some people choose to start with older/lesser cars? Instead of newer / better platforms...
Feels like building a Mansion in a bad location. Can only understand for the shop owners that have sunk cost on their (or their mechanics) time and sunk cost of the most parts already liying around...

I think the class one wants to run in has a lot to do with it.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

You will get the info from one of the helpful people here. The Pano ones were the ones I was thinking of.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I spoke with a mechanic at NJMSP who was sorting out one of the Lowenbrau Caymen's from Napleton.
He told me a race ready Cayment from them is $95k. That particular Caymen was looked sweet and was beautifully finished.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xupkid2
The dealership in Chicago is Napleton Porsche in Westmont, IL. http://www.napletonmotorsports.com/ I believe the cars go for around $75k but I could be making that up. Here is a thread that discussed it a little while ago

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...onsip-hsr.html
I though Kelly Moss in WI did most of the on the work on interseries cars. I would find the source and cut the middle-man out to save some money.

They are just bolting parts on the car. As others have pointed out, not many secrets. I have been looking and would start my build with a PDK Cayman S.

I know a few of the guys that are racing them, and money is no object. If I had their money I would burn mine
Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I though Kelly Moss in WI did most of the on the work on interseries cars. I would find the source and cut the middle-man out to save some money.

They are just bolting parts on the car. As others have pointed out, not many secrets. I have been looking and would start my build with a PDK Cayman S.

I know a few of the guys that are racing them, and money is no object. If I had their money I would burn mine
Napelton hired proper race mechanics 2 to 3 years ago. I am sure they are building the cars themselves.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cgomez
Sounds Right.

please write to PAG.
i think many ppl are wedded to the GT1 block (i am not married, just engaged to the GT1 block, so i have occasional flings with non GT1 motors), but if they stuff the split case in cay or box..... the RS will be parked in the living room for the stuffed animals while i rip up the track in cay....

i understand that the replacement cost of cay engine is less than GT1 upper end rebuild. i am 1/2 of the choir needs no preaching, but in the back of my head.... i and most porschephile have incurable lust for the split case.....

PAG, are you listening.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
I spoke with a mechanic at NJMSP who was sorting out one of the Lowenbrau Caymen's from Napleton.
He told me a race ready Cayment from them is $95k. That particular Caymen was looked sweet and was beautifully finished.
that's the base price.
i am certain 95k doesn't inc livery. maybe only 1 set of wheel. probably a lesser race seat. you also need real data system, AiM or bettter. and a good race radio. and so forth.

base car is 60k or there abouts.
my pretty high end BSR was 30k to build, and used PSS9. new Cay are on JRZ's. so i wold say 35k or so. we are at 95 now. then think cool suit, radio, data, livery, 2 extra sets of wheels (granted they use very nice fikses and BBS motorsport stuff which are $$$).

note: i am not knocing on the napleton cars. i love them. jut can't afford it. and i dont t hink they are making much profit at 110. but it is what it is, they will come out to about 100-110k EASILY.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredC
Napelton hired proper race mechanics 2 to 3 years ago. I am sure they are building the cars themselves.
Nope.

The mods will be performed post sale by the Porsche Westmont Napleton Service department and Kelly-Moss Motorsports.

i'm pretty sure their are photos of the cars in KM's shop.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I thought that when cayman cup first ran in Europe that the engines were failing left and right? Was that the older engine? I thought I remembered it being a crazy high failure rate.
You are correct; the Cayman Cup cars in both Italy and France experienced a very high engine failure rate. The band aid solution, that apparently worked well, was to install and Accusump to reduce or eliminate oil starvation.

These were/are the Gen1 (06 to 08 cars) and the newer Gen II (09+) cars are apparently experiencing better reliability.

There is a lot of talk about the Interseries cars (09+) from Napelton. Great cars, but a different price point than a Gen 1 builds (1.5 to 2X depending).

The OPs question was about build costs for a Gen 1, as it appears he already has a donor. Some have posted estimates that are not far off (just did this so I am not speculating), but that really depends on what you consider a complete build. Many "optional" items can add quite a bit as you all know.

CG is right, the base conversion costs do not vary that much among platforms, so starting with a new chassis made since to me (not to everyone for sure). It was also interesting to me to start a new class that should increase in popularity over time, rather than put money into a car and class that will decline in popularity.

The POC is starting to work to attract new members and many of the newer folks are already driving and modifying 996+ cars. To support this we are developing and promoting 996spec and CaymanSpec, in additional to supporting the excellent growth of Boxster Spec.

Somebody had to dive in. Ernie and the Mantis folks did this a couple of years ago, but the platform is now affordable enough (high $20's at auction) to support a new class or solid entrant into an existing class (e.g., GTS4).

Cheers,
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just buy a factory built 996 Cup and go C-3.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Just kick'n the can down the road

Quick Reply: How much of a monetary investment.......