Sponsored by:

Right Side Net - Quick Release Ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
One of the Rolex Continental Tire Challenge cars (Riley built) was testing with us at Roebling Road this past Monday and they had removed their ratchet for the right side net. They did not like the ratchets either. I asked about hand tensioning (stretching it to clip in) and they said it meets Rolex specs.
You can place the ratchet on one of the back straps of the net and use it there to get things tightened up. I don't see the ratchet up front as an issue if you're wearing a helmet, but that's my own opinion. I've tried tightening up a net (back when these things first became a requirement in BMW CCA) without a rachet and it was impossible to get tight enough IMO...you need some slack in the net in order to be able to double back the straps through the buckles.

Here's one thing I do know: Grand-Am's requirements are/were quite a bit more lax than what the next manufacturers recommend. They made some effort to tighten up their requirements at Homestead, but they only had to do with the position of the net relative to your head/shoulders, so they are still lacking when it comes to rear mounting locations and the tension of the net.

If you're going to run the net, you might as well run it so that it does the most good, right? A loose net doesn't "quick release" very well, and also doesn't provide the same level of protection. If the ratchet up front really worries you, I'd recommend moving it to one of the lower two rear straps and make sure those straps wrap around the seat to attach near the B-pillar rather than just attaching straight back from the dash.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
All of the rings have been replaced with stronger reinforced rings. If anyone has the Schroth driver net with the defective ring, contact HMS and they can provide a replacement ring for your net.
I am kind of ticked at myself. I noted this same issue when I was installing my net, made a mental note to document and call it back to the net maker, got busy with the rest of the car and never did. I was suprised to find such a basic problem that should not have been shipped. Good that there is a proper response. I bet that there are few rings out there that were not replaced. The first thing someome does after rigging something like this is try it.

For me the ratchet itself was not a concern other than it caused me to set the net further back by the lenght of the ratchet. This reduced the amount of net area next to the seat.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
All of the rings have been replaced with stronger reinforced rings. If anyone has the Schroth driver net with the defective ring, contact HMS and they can provide a replacement ring for your net.
Good to know, I'm glad to see there's been a response to the issue. Thanks for following up.

Quick Reply: Right Side Net - Quick Release Ring