Sponsored by:

Right Side Net - Quick Release Ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paralleltangent
I'm admittedly kinda new to this stuff, but another thing that freaks me out a little about these nets is that big ratchet mechanism floating in mid air in front of my dash.
This is what I thought and so does my mechanic. We are going to weld a belt harness eye bolt to the front cage cross bar and use a harness clip (the triangle thing that the belt attach to) to quick clip to the eye bolt.

One of the Rolex Continental Tire Challenge cars (Riley built) was testing with us at Roebling Road this past Monday and they had removed their ratchet for the right side net. They did not like the ratchets either. I asked about hand tensioning (stretching it to clip in) and they said it meets Rolex specs.

Sean, I may have a guy interested in your car. Do you still want a Cup? Got a line on a known entity if interested.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
We sell Schroth and this is the first I've heard of this problem. We have a Safety Solutions installed in our 968 and have had no problems (Schroth wasn't making these at the time we installed it).

I will make sure Schroth is aware of this problem. If anyone has issues, please contact the dealer where you purchased the item or Schroth direct - 800.884.BELT.
I have exactly the same net which did the exact same. I actually replaced with a double hoow key chain ring and that is much more sturdy
Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
This is what I thought and so does my mechanic. We are going to weld a belt harness eye bolt to the front cage cross bar and use a harness clip (the triangle thing that the belt attach to) to quick clip to the eye bolt.

One of the Rolex Continental Tire Challenge cars (Riley built) was testing with us at Roebling Road this past Monday and they had removed their ratchet for the right side net. They did not like the ratchets either. I asked about hand tensioning (stretching it to clip in) and they said it meets Rolex specs.
Rather than weld in a ring I welded the ratchet itself inside the dash. It is easy to reach under the dash and set the tension and the web extends through a sleeved hole the dash. The release buckle is right in front of the dash and the catch portion of the net starts right behind the buckle. I wanted to have more net and less strap and mount to my right.
After seeing some net videos good tension seems to be important in the net working as intended. One video (which I can't seem to find in my files) showed a dummy spilling out past the sides of the seat so far that the net was not able to guide the head back in cleanly.

I also remembered that I ditched the safety wire ring for a clevis pin clip that was wired shut. Made a strong but removable ring.

I don't see how they shipped the nets with the rings supplied.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 AM
paralleltangent
Instructor

^ That's slick. I may have to steal that idea when I have a bit more time to improve the setup of this thing.

For the time being, I'll probably just fiddle with it some more where it's attached now to see if i can get the ratchet back behind the dash and still relatively easy to operate.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Sean, I may have a guy interested in your car. Do you still want a Cup? Got a line on a known entity if interested.
Randy - Please PM me with details. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Kurt: Nice clean dash layout. Any more pictures of your project?

I installed a Safety Solutions net in a Carrera and went thru the center dash vent. It attaches to an Eye bolt in the trunk, so the rachet mechanism is near the firewall in the trunk and out of the cockpit. I did it this way to get the correct angle and position of the net, but having the ratchet in the trunk is an added bonus I guess.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Those are cotter rings -- snap shackles exactly like that are very common on sailboats. I think they are evil. I had the same thing happen to my right side net. I suspect the alloy used in the rings is inferior. I also don't like how the round d-ring sits inside the snap shackle. IMHO it would be better to have a loop in the cord because the d-ring sits in a place that makes it difficult to release.

As far as the cotter rings, maybe a better quality one, or maybe you can find a split ring to fit -- like a keychain ring. That should take a little more loading and not deform like the cotter ring.

cotter rings:
http://tinyurl.com/ydx7q4a

split ring (I don't think this is the right size though):
http://tinyurl.com/yb4keet

BTW -- Cotter rings are verbotten on my sailboat
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Cotter rings are really just an alternative to cotter pins to retain things like clevis pins. The clevis pin takes all the inline force and the ring/pin is a retainer, like safety wiring nuts, to keep the pin in place. They're not designed to be a ring in the line of force.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

here my safety solutions net. My ratchet is pretty much under the dash and out of the way.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M758
here my safety solutions net. My ratchet is pretty much under the dash and out of the way.
What kind of ring is that on the snap shackle?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

I messed with the net some more last night and managed to get the ratchet behind the dash. Don't have a pic, but my setup is similar to Joe's except the attachment point to the car is more to the left and up the side of the battery tray area (I also don't have a dash bar). I am much more comfortable with that ratchet out of sight.

Julian - like the color on the rotisserie car
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
What kind of ring is that on the snap shackle?
From the pictures a double key ring.

I have tested mine and it releases fine with the load I crank it it. Ring does not distort. I might want lube the main pin however to make sure it does not stick.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

All of the rings have been replaced with stronger reinforced rings. If anyone has the Schroth driver net with the defective ring, contact HMS and they can provide a replacement ring for your net.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758

Thought about wrapping those bottom two straps around your seat and attaching them to the B-pillar bar? That's the way I've seen them recommended to be installed, including Safety Solutions recs: "The net should be anchored at the back wrapping the seat system as much as possible and as close as possible to the drivers head.". Gives you more support for the seat and it's a better angle for supporting the forces the net will see.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Here is mine. When sitting the top strap is just under my eye, mid helmet. I think it looks about right. Need a pic of me in the seat and see what you guys think. Ill get some this weekend in TWS.

Quick Reply: Right Side Net - Quick Release Ring