Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please critique my Sebring lap.......thanks!....Update 6/14/10

Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

His point was to NOT be nose down at turn in.

Can't make any track days in May....but am signed up with Chin in June.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are both saying the same thing about braking, just in slightly different terms. I think what your friend was trying to tell you (and Mike was also saying) is that you don't want to be braking like you do on the street.
i.e. work your way into the brake pedal smoothly and slow down harder the closer you get to the corner.
you want to be hardest on the brakes initially and slowly trail off before corner entry. The harder you are on the brakes at the end of the braking zone, the more you load up the front tires and un-balance the car for the actual corner.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by p997s123
His point was to NOT be nose down at turn in.

Can't make any track days in May....but am signed up with Chin in June.
Cool....I was hoping I was misunderstanding you. Anyway...nice and smooth and safe...excellent job!

Now even though you are solo always grab an instructor you know is fast and safe and get them to ride with for a few laps. Grab me and I will go out with you or I will help you get someone else...that is what the instructors are there for.

When you had an instructor in the car with you they were always telling you what was coming up and reminding you about certain things. YOU need to now do this all the time in your head. Keep thinking ahead and stay in front of the car. Don't let your mind wander when you are out there solo. Always start out slow and warm yourself up.

Try not to get to the inside on 17 just before the bridge. There is a bad bump there. You seem to be inside on 17 right after the turn in and right side wall.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

here were the quick things I picked up, just jotting them down as I go.

Don't take any of this as stuff you are doing bad, as you are getting around the track very well. I know the stuff is short and to the point.

1. Regardless of your braking point, don't coast into the brake zone. On the gas all the way until you get hard on the brakes.
2. hairpin you can turn in earlier and release the hands a little sooner and more smoothly. use the inside rumbles.
3. turn 11 (by the oak trees) you can release the hands a little sooner on exit. Don't have to hold it so tight and pinch off on exit.
4. more speed available in 13
5. 15 use the inside rumbles on the right side. gives you a foot of extra track that is worth a few miles an hour.
6. 17 you don't need to pinch the post-bridge part so much. release the hands earlier and let the car work its way out towards the wall.

Like I said earlier, overall it looks really good. The better you get, the more you have to nit-pick your own driving because the speed comes in small increments.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 AM
jenk12m
Banned

nice and smooth driving like mike said. congrats on going solo, remember to look ahead and through every turn when your out there by your self. pick out reference points on the track that are NOT cones and try and hit those marks every time. i.e like how the concrete makes a T at turn 13, trying to put your right side tire on that every time. thats just one example out of many. i was there that weekend, i should've came over and ssaid hello
Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you are ready for the right seat Mike!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Sounds like you are ready for the right seat Mike!
Oh...I am already there...been in that seat.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM
jenk12m
Banned

so many people named mike, i think tucker was referring to me since your already an instructor. haha
Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This video is from 6/12/10 with Chin at Sebring. I can tell I still coast at times and have problems at 10. Overall I am seeing improvement. Any other input re: racing line etc. is still much appreciated.

TIA

Darrick
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Darrick, well I really hate giving advice by watching a video but here goes.

Your line is basically fine...good safe DE line, late turn in/apex and all.

Lots I could say here but what really stuck out for me was you need to be full throttle out of 1 all the way to 3. You seemed to be at part throttle at the apex of 1 and then coasted well before the brake zone for 3.

After turn in for 3 you need to get right back on the throttle to full throttle to 4, quick stab of the brake to set the car for 4 turn in and right back to full throttle all the way around the carosel to 7.

Looking at your speedo and listening to your throttle you are going very slow into Bishops turn 14. Out of 13 you should be full throttle and if you want to check up a little and come off the throttle right before Bishops that is ok but going into Bishops you need to be getting on the throttle to plant the rear end.... and at full throttle exiting Bishops into the brake zone for 15...almost sounded like you lifted at the start of Bishops...hard to tell...yikes that can be a no no.

You have a safe DE line into 17. If you want the race line you need to turn in a little earlier right to the right side wall where the flagger is and brake in a straight line then turn to go under the bridge and by the bridge you are at full throttle.

There are only a few places maybe 2 or 3 at Sebring where I modulate the throttle some. I am either squeezing on full throttle or on the brake. No coasting....

Next time you are at the track grab me and some others for a ride with us and to go in your car. We are glad to help. Keep at it, you are doing awesome! Hope to see you soon.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

T-1 that is VERY fast corner, in my car 5th gear thru bridge, stab brakes down to 4th and on the gas eyeballing apex, stay on it and LATE brake into 3. The next one is T-7, when track is clear test your braking you can go straight if you need to. Flat under bridge then nail the brakes, wait.......... then turn and look for American flag on horizon it will line you up. Leaving 10 press and lean on your suspension build speed and contimplate pulling one more gear into tower. Bishop as you will........flat is where its at

T17 lots of opinions..... You are doing great keep up the work and although you are solo keep asking your mates for peer review and coaching. As your speed increases be mindful of your lubrication system and also power stearing unit.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Mike and Christian noted pretty much everything. Only things I would add:

turn in quite a bit earlier at the hairpin, use the inside rumbles, and carry more speed. The way you are super-late-apexing now you are sacrificing probably a good 5-10mph apex speed and postponing your on-throttle point by a decent distance.

after turn 10 you should be full throttle all the way until 13 as Christian said.

definitely listen to Mike about bishops. if you arent comfortable flat through there, that is fine. but you want to be at or *slightly* under desired cornering speed before you make the turn in. At the very least you should be balancing the throttle through the turn but it is preferable to be on throttle for the reason he said. You want to keep that back end planted. People don't crash there because of improper speed usually. They crash because of what they do in the turn. The way they go on or off throttle. the steering input they use, etc.

Can turn in a hair sooner at 15, carry more speed, and unwind the wheel a little earlier.

16 was better the second lap. turn in a hair earlier and carry more entry speed and it will put your car right about where it is now... but going faster

17 pretty much like Mike said. Only thing to add is you can be carrying way more entry speed. Judging from how little steering input you were using to make the car turn between turn-in and unwinding the wheel, it shows that you aren't losing any front grip at all. Carrying the right amount of entry speed you should be getting much more feedback from the wheel and be operating on a small slip angle. then power out hard.

overall it looks better. you improve every time as it should be. a little more aggressive on the power, go straight to brakes instead of coasting, and minor turn-in tweaks and you are on the right track.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM
jenk12m
Banned

you got some really good feed back there, try and write them down and keep a little cheat sheet for you to go faster
Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm prefacing my remarks by (1) You asked and (2) these are all items you CAN do and I think you should work up to. I'm not criticising as much as I'm telling you what the next steps for you are:

Turn 1 - You're still coasting before the bridge. You need to grab another gear before turn in. You're off the cam for too long staying in the gear you are. You can/should get a better launch.

Turn 3 - Coasting a bit too much on entry. You need to get tighter on the apex to set you up for 4 better. Again, I think you can/should grab another gear. You're only downshifting one gear...not enough for the speed you're going.

Turn 5 - At the speed you're going, you don't need to slow the car as much as you are on entry.

Hairpin - Grab another gear. Launch here is crucial to a good lap time.

Turn 10 - Grab another gear. You're not shifting between 10 and 13. You should be.

Turn 13 (Tower Turn) - Grab another gear...

Bishops - You can go faster (most of us can, we just don't think we can...)

Relative to my comments on grabbing another gear, I guarantee you THAT alone will be 2-3 seconds off your time.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,397 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Relative to my comments on grabbing another gear, I guarantee you THAT alone will be 2-3 seconds off your time.
Dat's the fact, Jack!!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please critique my Sebring lap.......thanks!....Update 6/14/10